MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Aquaponics/Permaculture

Aquaponics/Permaculture

Anyone else dabble in either or ? Been messing with aquaponics since I was probably 15 (24 now) and just kinda got into permaculture in the last two years. Haven't really been able to mess it it too much due to various things but thinking this years gonna be different. Really love how both of em are kinda controlled chaos by design but especially love my outdoor aquaponics tank which in dead in the middle of trying to clean up) Real relaxing to listen to the water feed the fish and watch all the different little critters come and check it out.... actually might put a trail cam on t for a week and see who all comes and goes
    Did I mention it's makes an AWESOME bait tank

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

You are certainly an interesting young man.
    What kind of plants do you grow?
    What happens in the winter?

Super Moderator

Don't let the Great Blue Herons discover your fish tank... Ask me how I know!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    You get the impression he doesn’t spend a lot of time sleeping.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Man, I gotta say, I really enjoy your threads...They're always super interesting and thought provoking. Your YouTube channel is great as well!

My wife looked into permaculture a bit, and worked on a small farm in Colorado that claimed to practice it. Seems they only very loosely followed it, though. Aquaculture is super interesting, but now that we live in the high desert, I'm not sure how practical it would be to implement. The low humidity would suck the tank dry in pretty short order.

Please keep sharing your adventures!

Boolit Master

Nothing like having your own little eco-sphere! Keep us posted on how it develops.

I gave up on aquaculture when the resident martens discovered my stocked bass pond one winter. Now when I want culture I visit Nashville or Memphis.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You are sure into some interesting projects. I had an aquarium 50x50x100 cm. I got it all balanced out with a lot of fish a lot and plants. I had an external filter that suppled a lot of bacteria to grow on. I was getting ready to try and start growing some watercresses, but then ended up moving and haven’t started the project back up since. One thing to watch out for is getting a bloom of algie. Reducing light in the summer helps. Best of luck with your projects.

Boolit Buddy
    I did hydroponics for tomatoes, peppers, and basil. The plants grow about twice as fast and twice the size, it was a little too hot for the tomatoes in the shed so they didn't fruit much until the end of the season. The basil leaves were massive and had a lot of flavor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	297896
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	297897

I have always been fascinated by things like this. My friends call me Macgyver, but I don't think I can hold a candle to Wolfdog91.

Boolit Master

Have read about both many times but never dabbled. Please keep us updated!
    BDGR

Boolit Master

Thats great I have been thinking about doing a indoor greenhouse for sometime. With the price of groceries souring it seems like a better idea now.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Well you can actually grow a ton of different things in a system like this . I've seen everything from micro greens to mango trees. Problem is I was 16 when I set this thing up and didn't thing trying to grow plants under three sets of shade trees would be a problem so I'm kinda stuck to stuff like green onions , black berries ect.
    And honestly noting really , worst case it'll freeze and three or so inches in the tank and I'll either turn the pump off and chip the ice enough to toss a cattle trough de-icer in to keep the fish a little warm.

A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Nothing like having your own little eco-sphere! Keep us posted on how it develops.

I gave up on aquaculture when the resident martens discovered my stocked bass pond one winter. Now when I want culture I visit Nashville or Memphis.
    Yeah it's pretty interesting! Was actually out the other night installing a New media gaurd , the old one got clogged and wasn't letting water drain probably, and I was super surprised to see red worms ! Alot of them too ! Seems they actually do well in the in the constant flooding and draining gravel

MS Army Guard 2016-2021