Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Old Eynsford Fg Question:

Old Eynsford Fg Question:

Due to the BP shortages I went out on a limb and purchased a nice quantity of Old Eynsford Fg that was still available. In the past I have successfully used OE 1-1/2FG in my 45-70 & 45-90 34" barreled 1874 Sharps rifles. It's universally understood that Fg is recommended for large bore 50 caliber and larger applications. I am curious if using Fg in my 45-70 and 45-90 would produce satisfactory results. As an aside I also wonder if using Fg for my all brass 12 gauge shot shells would work okay. Velocity with OE is considerably better than Goex so I'm not concerned in that respect. Granted, I know fully well that using Fg in my rifles and vintage Damascus shotguns will "Go bang" but other than perhaps a bit more fouling what do you believe would be the major drawbacks? I intend on using the Fg despite it not being the favorable choice for my applications, but that's what I have on hand. Also, my shooting consists of 100 yard groups and wiping between shots. It would be wonderful to shoot at longer distances but at my age walking farther than 100 yards to set up targets would take the fun out of it. Thank you in advance.

Boolit Master

get some brass screens of the correct size and rescreen the 1F into 2F--4F, may need to rub it through to break it up some.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I would just shoot the Fg and count yourself fortunate to have available stock. Make a habit of wiping more if and when fouling becomes a problem.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 1f OE in both 45-70 and 45-90. It works very well with good accuracy and when everything is right fouling is about the same. What ypu may notice is charges are a little lighter for a given volume, more air space between grains if powder.

I started with it no compression no airspace and worked up from there in 1 grain increments chronograph as I went. Watched both the Extreme spread and Standard deviation along with fouling. As compression went up the ES and SD went down as did fouling. If I remember correctly I ended up around .187 compression on the charge. I find the 2 most consistent loads then retest at the half way point between them.

My loads use the 1f OE a napa rubber fiber .060 wad 2 tracing paper wads SPG or emmerts improved lube ( pan) and bullets as cast. Bullets are hand seated onto the wads with no crimp.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I’ve been reloading 45-70, 45-90 and 50-70 and shot shells with 1Fg for years.
    With the center fires, they are shot out to 1000 yds, a bit slower but no decrease on accuracy
    When I tested 1Fg Ole E, the certified sieves held some 20 and 30 mesh grains … so it’s juiced up and not all 10 mesh
    Regards
    John

re: OE

Wonderful news, thanks' to everyone's informative replies. I had a feeling when I ordered the OE Fg that it would be okay. Country Gent especially, you were my mentor quite a few years ago. Much appreciated, Bruce

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I have t shot much of the Oe 1 f in the 4590 but the few rounds
    I did shoot did show a lot of promise Haven’t tied it in the 4570 but can’t help but think it would give good results
    It does work very well in the 45-110 and 40-90 ban
    It seems to like about 3 tenths compression. If it not being compressed enough it will tend To foul heavy
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot OE 1F in my 50/70 50/90 45/90 and some 45/70, shoot for .300 compression and it will really shoot well.