MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Golf balls are tough!

I'm squinting just reading about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Best use for golf balls I've seen yet.
    They work great on a piece of brass rod to make a ramrod too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    How you cook dat?
    Onions and a roux?
    Even Onions , Bell Pepper , Celery , a Dark Roux and 4 hours of cooking ... they was still tough ...
    Like trying to eat old rubber bands ... There is something in the middle ... it must be the golf seed ... maybe you plant it and another grows from it ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

They are great to replace the handles on drill presses and other machine tools.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    Bravo! Every big game hunter should see that.

I first used the ball, rope and truck method of deer skinning from the head back with a golf ball size rock in 1969, shortly after I moved to western North Carolina.

The morning I killed my first mountain deer a kind old local guy gently pushed a younger, dumber me aside when I started trying to hoist my deer by the hind leg tendons; you know, the "right way" like it's always been done.

He first used a cheep hacksaw to cut through the knee joints. Then, with a common Walmart box cutter razor blade "utility" knife, he cut a neck ring in the hide just behind the skull. He pulled up a skin flap over the spine and secured a rock in it with a 1/2" rope he tied to my truck.

We lifted the deer (head up enough for the legs to clear the ground) with a second rope tossed over a sturdy limb and tied it off. Slowly backing the truck away pulled that hide completely off like a fuzzy sweatshirt in about 30 seconds! In fact, about 15 minutes after starting I had a cleanly skinned deer swinging in the air with no hair or dirt on the meat! Minutes after that, the lungs, guts and lower legs were in a Lowes' heavy duty plastic trash bag (contractor grade) and gone.

It was easy to then remove the front quarters, brisket, hams and loins and store them in an ice cooler until I could get it home to age and package.

When I was ready, I boned it out with my Fiskars fish fillet knife, then cut it up and Zip-Lock bagged and froze it exactly the way my wife wanted it done. That's the way I've done deer ever since.

(I thank God for a good woman dumm enough to love me, keeps a good home, cooks great and enjoys going hiking, camping, scuba diving, hunting and fishing with me too!)

For me, skinning deer the smart way started some 55 years ago with a wise old mountain man, an imitation golf ball, a tree, a rope and a truck. I watched and learned from that now dead old man so I've not messy skinned with a knife or gutted a deer butt-up since. And I will NEVER again pay a butcher to cut up and package my venison!

All that meaning there really is a GREAT way for deer hunters to use otherwise useless objects like goolf balls (or, okay, you can use similar size rocks just as well if you really need to save the money) in a deer camp.

Boolit Master
    If you think golf balls are tough try a bowling ball..............
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Grand Master

Golf balls are light just sitting they move easily meaning its hard to dump a lot of energy into them, the small size also allows most of the energy to be dumped back into the backstop behind it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
    If you think golf balls are tough try a bowling ball..............
    Shooting it or skinning and gutting it ? ... I hear they is thick skinned !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    My best use of golf balls so far, file handles:
    Attachment 297768
    +1 on that!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Shooting it or skinning and gutting it ? ... I hear they is thick skinned !
    Gary
    Amazing the abuse they will take even from centerfire rifle slugs...................
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123