Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Rcbs 45-270

Boolit Buddy

Rcbs 45-270

I'm loading my 45 colt with this bullet over 8 grains unique. I get 900 fps out of this load. Accuracy is not quite where I want it to be. Looking for suggestions on loads. The loading manuals pretty much ignore this bullet.
    Siamese4570

Quote Originally Posted by siamese4570 View Post
    I'm loading my 45 colt with this bullet over 8 grains unique. I get 900 fps out of this load. Accuracy is not quite where I want it to be. Looking for suggestions on loads. The loading manuals pretty much ignore this bullet.
    Siamese4570
    That bullet is a very good bullet and the powder and charge seem appropriate to me. Accuracy is a fickle thing and it in includes, the alloy of the bullet, the sizing diameter of the bullet, the bullet lubricant, the fit of the bullet to the revolver and the skill of the shooter.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

So many things...

Have you checked the cyl throat size?
    Have you tried different diameters?
    Have you tried different lubes?
    Have you tried different charges?

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Handloader # 246 has an excellent article by Brian Pierce using that bullet in 3 tier's of loads for .45 Colts. It shoots awesome in my Ruger Blackhawk. Hopefully someone can send you the link to the article, I am technologically challenged! Sorry, hc18flyer

Here is what I have accomplished using the blackhawk bisley in 45 Colt.

Open throats to .45225 that IMO is paramount in the Ruger revolver.
    Opened the forcing cone to 11 degrees. Easy to do after getting the tools
    last was giving the gun a nice trigger Job that a friend helped out on with his instructions.

I cast my bullets using the RCBS 270 bullet mold, my lead of choice is Lyman #2 .
    Having experimented with several powders, I decided on AA#9.
    My typicial load is stout but not max, 16.5 and 17.0 grains will get me touching holes at 35 yrds from my little range here at the farm behind the barn and fired from a bench..Vel runs 1000 for one, 1080 for another. I alo load 7.5 of unique that is accurate enough but not as good as #9 powder.

Shooting my Ruger is now lots of fun. yes the loads are more stout than factory 45 loadings but I bought the Ruger just for that purpose..
    Last edited by gc45; 03-24-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    So which version of the 270SAA are you casting? There are at least four different versions for some dumb reason. The first version was a good design and shot well at all ranges. Subsequent versions got worse until the last one we tested wouldn’t shoot groups at 25 yards let alone a hundred yards.
    The Lee 265 grain bullet will shoot and molds are easily available.
    Last edited by frank505; 03-27-2022 at 10:54 AM.

I had DougGuy open my cylinder throats uniformly on my large frame Blackhawk.. I use a softer alloy around 11 bhn, and size them to .452. My hunting load used Alliant 2400, I didn't care for the recoil impulse from AA #9 . I use a red dot sight for hunting , my gun and load is more accurate than I can hold. I have the orginal RCBS 270SAA mold.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    So which version of the 270SAA are you casting? There are at least four different versions for some dumb reason. The first version was a good design and shot well at all ranges. Subsequent versions got worse until the last one we tested wouldn’t shoot groups at 25 yards let alone a hundred yards.
    The Lee 265 grain bullet will shoot and molds are easily available.
    I'm curious. I've got the MP molds version in 4 cavity solid and 2 cavity w/HP pins and the RCBS 2 cavity. Basically, that is two versions. What are the other 2?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input guys. This gun has been a project. Doug guy did the cylinder throats. I had to fire lap the thread choke out of it. I have a fairly new 45-270 mold. I was using 8.0 gr unique. Since I couldn't find any other load data for any other powders I just continued to play with that. Went up to 8.5 and 9 grs of unique. Think I hit a sweet spot at 8.5. Going to play with that and see what happens.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Buddy
    Linebaugh likes HS-6 for his everyday loads at around 950-1000 fps with 260-310 grain bullets. About 12.5 grains should work for the 270-SAA.

I also love the RCBS 45 270 in my 45 Colts. Sounds like your accuracy improved with a little more of the Unique and that reflects my results. Another powder to try is Power Pistol. It is similar in burning rate to Unique and I have had good results, as a matter of fact I get better accuracy in the 1000 fps range with the Power Pistol in my Blackhawk. My Marlin 1894 CB prefers 2400 powder behind the same bullet.

The mold I have is an early one. I find recoil of using #9 to be just fine for intended velocities.. HS-6 and 2400 did not produce the accuracy levels I wanted and H110 recoil was more than I wanted. Every gun, mold and powder gives different results so we must work up to that load in our gun finding the right combo...My Win 45 colt likes 2400 best as well but with a 250gr bullet..