WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: How much do I love casting and coating.

Boolit Buddy

How much do I love casting and coating.

I cast close to 700 .45SWC boolits the other night and only managed to PC about 100 or so before having to run out the door for work. So today I had day surgery on my nose for severe Sinus infection and a deviated septum. Got home and tried to have a quick bite after 30 hours without eating and boy that was a chore. I had to remove the Gauze bandage to eat and have coffee. In doing so I had blood literally running from both sides. After eating and taking the prescribed meds and slapping another gauze bandage I figured I'd head to the basement to PC the rest of this boolits. I really enjoy this stuff because I have so little time to do it. Got most of them done ( still one more batch to do ) but the bandage is soaking through with blood so had to give it up for the night. Now to try sleeping all night sitting up!!!

But the boolits look so pretty ...it was worth it.

Probably a sign that you should try to take it easy a bit to mend up some before doing your casting/coating?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by iMigraine View Post
    Probably a sign that you should try to take it easy a bit to mend up some before doing your casting/coating?

That's exactly what my better half said so I finally followed her advise after she pointed out the soaked bandage.

Boolit Master
    I personally am recovering from two extensive cervical surgeries the first 8 weeks ago and the second 2 weeks ago, so I can definitely Ditto that sleeping upright and especially with a rigid cervical collar!
    I know where you are coming from and I am so anxious for this to be over but presently I am just hanging out waiting for the healing process to slowly move along. One thing I learned many years ago is sometimes it is better to back off and let it play out because my pushing only slowed it down.

But in the meantime I would suggest making a plan to streamline your operation to increase productivity because it sounds like you would be happier with more and faster output?

I actually prefer making ammo more than shooting

Boolit Master
    I think I do as well. Most of the enjoyment of casting comes from how accurate I am with the cast bullets.

I do find shooting much more satisfying when I am using my cast bullets. Especially when I am shooting smaller targets than the guys using jacketed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I think I do as well. Most of the enjoyment of casting comes from how accurate I am with the cast bullets.

I do find shooting much more satisfying when I am using my cast bullets. Especially when I am shooting smaller targets than the guys using jacketed
    I hate to break it to you (actually I don't) but if you are powder coating, you are one of the guys shooting jacketed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some are wired differently. Casting and reloading are a means to an end.

I could never had been able to afford to shoot as much as I have, or get good enough to be competitive without cast bullets and reloading.

If I won the lottery, I would buy three small buildings about 2000-3000 sq ft each and stock them with the ammunition I want. I would give away all my stuff to folks on this site who cannot afford to buy good equipment.

You guys can have fun casting and reloading....I will have fun shooting.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I hate to break it to you (actually I don't) but if you are powder coating, you are one of the guys shooting jacketed.
    They are cast bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I personally am recovering from two extensive cervical surgeries the first 8 weeks ago and the second 2 weeks ago, so I can definitely Ditto that sleeping upright and especially with a rigid cervical collar!
    I know where you are coming from and I am so anxious for this to be over but presently I am just hanging out waiting for the healing process to slowly move along. One thing I learned many years ago is sometimes it is better to back off and let it play out because my pushing only slowed it down.

But in the meantime I would suggest making a plan to streamline your operation to increase productivity because it sounds like you would be happier with more and faster output?

I'm not the type to just sit around but that's not always in my best interest either. I had to call my surgeon on Thursday afternoon because the bleeding wouldn't stop. He had to call in a prescription for a blood clotting agent. He told me on Friday when I seen him that it continued to bleed because I wasn't resting enough. Go figure. In 2010 I had back surgery and the next day I was painting the washroom. I just hate sitting around but I think it's time to re evaluate and let some healing happen. It's difficult because I'm working all the time and have little time for all the hobbies I so enjoy.

Boolit Master

I know the feeling. More and more "work/employment" gets aggravating and cuts into my "lab, bullet/primer reloading, hunting, tinkering, casting, powder-coating, shooting, wood crafting and fishing" time! 3 more years...just 3 more and I'll be retiring!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

2.5 years and I'll be retiring! Casting, reloading and now powder coating is enjoyable.

I work a 12 on 2 off schedule, so shooting military rifles on my off weekend is enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Boolit Master
    smh ....straining a gnat while swallowing a camel