Load DataWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Hornady pistol bullets trash compared to other companies ??

Are Hornady pistol bullets trash compared to other companies ??

I have, for a long time, been looking for 200 grain speer got dot hollow points for my .44 charter arms bulldog. They are just not available and haven't been for several years. Additionally, There are no 200 grain remington HP's, no Nosler 200 grain HP's, no Sierra 200 grain HP's .... no where in the world are any of the 200 grain bullets avalable,... Yet ... looking on the internet, there are tons of 180 grain and 200 grain Hornady HP bullets available everywhere. Why don't people want Hornady HP's ?? Are they unreliable when it comes to accuracy and expansion ?? Usually if no one wants them ....there is a reason.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master
    Don't know. I used to shoot Hornady HP's a lot and buy Hornady ammo for my self defense loads.

Pre-Covid I shot a lot of remington HP's cause they were some the the cheapest bulk bullets I could find. I can understand why they are in short supply these days since the change in ownership issues over the past couple of years. Sierra and Nosler were always in short supply at the gun shops I visited. Never used Speer, rifle or pistol.

Boolit Master
    I like the Hornady XTPs, I use them in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Just no one else has manufactured any. Hornady's are good

Been using them since the 80's and use more Hornady bullets every year than all other makers (not talking cast) combined. Usually don't have any issues working up a sub MOA target/practice load for wildcat rifles using XTP or HAP bullets at well over their intended speed.

Boolit Master
    I got a feeling Hornady cranks out a whole lot more bullets than Speer and that's why they are available. one way I think ive found to judge production of different brands is to keep an eye on midway's blemished or factory seconds. I'm pretty sure they have agreements with Speer, Sierra and hornady for the seconds and anything produced that isn't first rate. I judge this only by what I watch coming available --so I'm guessing, but I've been at this reloading hobby long enough I pretty much can tell who makes what by what they look like.
    also I think these days Speer produces more deep curl than gold dots in boxes of 100, or so it seems, they seem to have gold dots as loaded ammo in boxes of 20 at inflated prices.,

I dont really think any of the major brands bullets are "trash" even zero makes pretty darn good bullets.
    they might have different characteristics, and some might be softer materials or thinner jackets.
    that's the beauty of casting your own, you can make them the way you want, plus the savings and pleasure of doing it yourself.
    Last edited by farmbif; 03-15-2022 at 09:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
    I have, for a long time, been looking for 200 grain speer got dot hollow points for my .44 charter arms bulldog. They are just not available and haven't been for several years. Additionally, There are no 200 grain remington HP's, no Nosler 200 grain HP's, no Sierra 200 grain HP's .... no where in the world are any of the 200 grain bullets avalable,... Yet ... looking on the internet, there are tons of 180 grain and 200 grain Hornady HP bullets available everywhere. Why don't people want Hornady HP's ?? Are they unreliable when it comes to accuracy and expansion ?? Usually if no one wants them ....there is a reason.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    Hornady is doing a much better job supplying reloaders product than the others. It's that simple. Remington was bankrupt and not producing bullets. Sierra, Nosler and Speer have been losing a significant portion of the market to Hornady due to increased quality from Hornady while being highly competitive in costs. A friend of mine owns a reloader supply business. He sells more Hornady bullets than all the others combined. That was pre-covid and I believe that is still true today.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I use Hornaday all the time, only thing that is usually in stock, no problems, good solid bullets.

Boolit Master
    IMHO Speer puts the majority of their Gold Dot bullets into law enforcement and self defense ammo. Hornady sells some ammo loaded with XTP bullets but the majority of their SD/LE ammo is loaded with the gummy tipped stuff leaving XTPs for reloading sales.

The doe I shot last year with a 240gr XTP out of a .44 Mag rifle hadn’t read any negative reviews about them on the internet and promptly fell over.

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady is a premier company, every bit as good as Speer, or Remington. I'm not familiar with Sierra pistol bullets, but their rifle bullets might be a bit better quality than a lot of Hornady's. That does not always mean they shoot better though. I am blown away how well a 30 caliber Hornady 180gr interlock shoots in even poor rifles, at least as good as the far more expensive Sierra 175 gr matchking sometimes.

Hornady's HAP is a phenomenal pistol bullet for accuracy, although they are not designed for expansion. I think the Nosler sport pistol is the same. I'm not familiar with 44 special, but I'll take a 357 magnum with a Hornady 180gr XTP over any other jacketed bullet. The 10mm with 180gr XTP is also a top tier choice. It's not that fantastic in 45 acp from what I can tell, although it does work. What is great about the Speer gold dot, is that it is actually a plated bullet, and seems to expand better with the lower velocity rounds. If I had to guess, I would think most XTP's in 44 are going to be aimed more for the 44 magnum. I would try the 180gr.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-15-2022 at 11:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    Remember when Remington had bulk bullets for sale?. Back in the day Midway always had some for sale. One of the dealers at our local gun shows used to sell reloading supplies. Always bought R-P bulk bullets in 30 caliber, 44 caliber and for my 45/70. R-P stopped bulk bullets years ago. Frank

I've used Hornady pistol bullets (XTP .45 Cal 250 Gr) in sabots out of my White Mountain carbine for over 20 years now. One kill was at 115 yards. I probably shouldn't touch on this as you inquired about using them out of a handgun. I wouldn't hesitate using them out of handgun for self defense purposes.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Hornady said awhile back they were running full out, and their employees could have unlimited overtime.
    That, and how they have always prioritized hand loaders may have something to do with their bullets being on the shelf.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used Hornady bullets, XTP and the older JFP / JHP and have always had good results. They have been doing a much better job of getting products to the store shelves than other suppliers. Company emphasis has always leaned toward the reloader.

I always had good performance w/ Hornady bullets, and often find their rifle bullets easier to develop good accuracy loads quickly with than other makers.
    Their rifle bullets have Secant ogives where many other makers use Tangent ogives, and I believe that the secant ogive is more forgiving for seating depth. I remember reading an accuracy article about this years ago that would back this up. I also do remember Berger going to a hybrid ogive on some of their bullets, supposedly due to this.
    The Hornady pistol bullets I and friends have used for hunting and target shooting have also always been good. I am particularly fond of the 300 XTP 44, and have witnessed 50 yd 5 shot groups of 1/2" out of a TC Contender. It has two cannelures, allowing it to be crimped long, to enable a reduction in jump to rifling and better throat alignment at release.
    An aside, Hornady used to manufacture quite a quite a number of Remington bullets. My understanding is the Peters inner belt WAS the Hornady Interlock bullet. I remember this production relationship continuing well into the 1990s with 30 caliber rifle bullets at least.

Boolit Buddy
    I dont think the thin jacket hornady bullets have many issues at pistol velocities.
    In fact they probably perform better then other brands at reduced speeds.
    At least their not like some of their .223 rifle bullets, that go to dust if pushed/spun too fast.

In response to "yovinny" comment on the Hornady 223 bullets (not a critique, a comment):

I believe that this comment is associated with the SX bullets. These are designed to expand rapidly on target object when used in the smaller cased 22 CF rounds that just don't get the speed of a 22-250, 220 Swift, or larger wildcats.

The 22 CF varmint crowd is quite complicated when it's looked at from a twist (5.56 vs. Swift), velocity, (Hornet vs. Swift) or pressure standpoint (much like velocity, Hornet vs. Swift, but here there are lots of wildcats that people tend to run really hard). Just tough to make one bullet jacket design that covers all this and delivers reliable fragmentation on target. This is one reason the Nosler Solid Base and BT were/are so popular w/ varmint shooters who use wildcats. The base is beefy to resist pressure deformation, the fore jacket is thin to reliably open even at extended ranges.
    One of the things in a good 22 varmint bullet design that is rarely discussed is the desire to reduce ricochet after a miss. The bullet may be way out there after a miss, and it is desirable to have it come apart when it does touch something. By pure luck a friend has found a 55 BT or two out on the WY prairie when out PD shooting. So, nothing is perfect.

It is absolutely correct that the Hornady SX bullets can vaporize when shot at high speeds or in a fast twist. It's about hoop strength of the bullet, and stress imparted by the firing condition.
    I have had 53 gr Bruno BR bullets do the same out of my 1:9 twist 22-250 that I set up for 68-70 gr high BC bullets. The thin match jacket acts like a thin varmint jacket. Thin is thin. I simply wanted to try something I had an excess of. When they didn't come apart, they shot quite well.

It is quite amusing to watch a bullet come apart on way to target, and it can take a while for the jacket to rupture from rotational stress at the points where the rifling form creates stress concentrations. I have watched them "poof" out of my 22-250 20 yds out, and also spray/splatter a 100 yd target.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Been using Hornady rifle and pistol bullets/boolits for years with no problems. Hornady Interlocks and Sierra Pro Hunters have accounted for about 95% of all the deer I have taken, almost all were clean one shot kills. I love Hornady 158 grain lead SWC's in .38 Special!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I use Hornady handgun bullets pretty much exclusively for jacketed bullet loads with tte exception of .375SuperMag where I use Sierra bullets.
    I am very pleased with the accuracy and expansion of the XTP bullets in .357, .41, .44 and .45 calibers.
    I use commercial cast coated lead bullets for the vast majority if my shooting and reloading but always keep a few hundred rounds of jacketed bullet loads ready to go in each caliber.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    In response to "yovinny" comment on the Hornady 223 bullets (not a critique, a comment):

I believe that this comment is associated with the SX bullets. These are designed to expand rapidly on target object when used in the smaller cased 22 CF rounds that just don't get the speed of a 22-250, 220 Swift, or larger wildcats.

The 22 CF varmint crowd is quite complicated when it's looked at from a twist (5.56 vs. Swift), velocity, (Hornet vs. Swift) or pressure standpoint (much like velocity, Hornet vs. Swift, but here there are lots of wildcats that people tend to run really hard). Just tough to make one bullet jacket design that covers all this and delivers reliable fragmentation on target. This is one reason the Nosler Solid Base and BT were/are so popular w/ varmint shooters who use wildcats. The base is beefy to resist pressure deformation, the fore jacket is thin to reliably open even at extended ranges.
    One of the things in a good 22 varmint bullet design that is rarely discussed is the desire to reduce ricochet after a miss. The bullet may be way out there after a miss, and it is desirable to have it come apart when it does touch something. By pure luck a friend has found a 55 BT or two out on the WY prairie when out PD shooting. So, nothing is perfect.

It is absolutely correct that the Hornady SX bullets can vaporize when shot at high speeds or in a fast twist. It's about hoop strength of the bullet, and stress imparted by the firing condition.
    I have had 53 gr Bruno BR bullets do the same out of my 1:9 twist 22-250 that I set up for 68-70 gr high BC bullets. The thin match jacket acts like a thin varmint jacket. Thin is thin. I simply wanted to try something I had an excess of. When they didn't come apart, they shot quite well.

It is quite amusing to watch a bullet come apart on way to target, and it can take a while for the jacket to rupture from rotational stress at the points where the rifling form creates stress concentrations. I have watched them "poof" out of my 22-250 20 yds out, and also spray/splatter a 100 yd target.
    100% correct. I shoot a lot of prairie dogs. Most of the barrels I use are fast twist match rifle barrels that are past their competitive accuracy life but still adequate for PD's. I have blown Nosler, Speer, Berger and Sierra bullets when I select a marginal design for the speed and RPM I am driving them at. I don't ever remember blowing a Hornady bullet but I only use the V-max's and they tolerate being over spin very well. Same for the Nosler Ballistic Tips. In the .223 I mostly use 40 grain and 55 grain V-max or BT's. I have pushed 40 grain V-Max and BT's to 3,800 FPS out of 8 twist barrels without blowing or corkscrewing any.

When I first started I used a 52 grain Speer bullet that was only available in 1,000 round bulk packs. It did not matter how hard you drove it or how fast you spun it. I had fired about 5K of them and Speer came out with the TNT line and they changed them. After the change the same part number 52 grain Speer would come apart out of 8 an twist .223 barrels. Out of a 9 twist barrel they would corkscrew sometimes. You could watch the bullet trace as they corkscrewed in a large pattern until they hit the ground.

I also can not turn down a deal on bullets so through the years I have used a lot of marginal bullets for that application. When they fail it's not the fault of the bullet. It's my fault for using a bullet designed for 3,000 FPS in a 12 twist barrel in a 6 1/2 to 9 twist barrel at 3,500 FPS.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-16-2022 at 11:42 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast