RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water quenching/ what an I doing wrong?

Boolit Master

Water quenching/ what an I doing wrong?

I have tried quenching before with zero results but at that time the alloy was unknown so it was to be expected. Today I tried it with known wheel weights. I am the one that smelted the weights so I know what I have. Casting temp was 700 for one batch and 750 for the ones in the aluminum mold. Water was right out of the ground cold. Bullets were dropped from the mold directly into the water and they did hiss when they hit. BHN air cooled is 13 BHN and water quenched is........................... 13 BHN. So where in this process did I go wrong? I am tempted to pour some molten lead into the water and then test the stuff that results to see what that reads! I seriously doubt I need to cast any hotter. Let me rephrase that, I am NOT going to cast any hotter since I am already waiting on the mold to solidify before I can even open it.

Boolit Buddy
    Probably need to be sure there is a trace of arsenic in your alloy

Boolit Grand Master

I've never heard of this issue. If you aren't already aware, it takes a day to see any real hardening. I'd have to double check, but it takes a month to start leveling off at full hardness.

Boolit Master

Test them tomorrow and again in a week. If you checked the right after the quench they are still soft, that's why you want to size the same day as casting. Much easier on your sizer!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Low antimony alloys respond slower to the quench. Post #3 and #4 are on the point. Expect the hardness to be all over the map because the time between pouring and quenching might be a factor in the alloy temp when it hits the water. This is why Oven HT/Q is preferred by some that want a consistent batch hardness. If you go to the LASC site, you will find additional information on the subject.

If the alloy is right for it to harden/temper- it'll take a couple of weeks before the hardness 'settles down'.

You might want to size them before that also.
    You can do it any time, but its easier before the final hardness sets.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

From Lyman FAQ

Q: Is there anything I can do to make the bullets harder?

Cast bullets can be heat treated to increase their hardness providing your alloy has 2% or more antimony present. To heat treat your bullets: Cast your bullets in the normal manner, saving several scrap bullets. Size using RCBS 2 Lube. WASH OFF. Place several scrap bullets on a pan in your oven at 450 degrees and increase the temperature until the bullets start to melt or slump. Be sure to use an accurate oven thermometer and a pan that will not be used again for food. Once the bullets start to melt or slump, back off the temperature about 10 degrees and slide in your first batch of good bullets. Leave these in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the bullets from the oven and plunge them into cool water. Allow them to cool thoroughly. When you are ready to lubricate, install a Lyman (450) sizing die .001" larger than the one used to initially size them, OR Tumble lube with Alox. This will prevent the sides of the bullets from work-softening from contact with the sizing die. Next apply gas checks if required and lubricate. BULLETS WILL TAKE 2 WEEKS TO FULLY HARDEN. These are now ready for loading.

The RCBS 2 lube needs to be washed off after sizing, before bullets go in the oven. Warm water & 2 drops Dawn work well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210325_145104.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 03-16-2022 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Info from LYMAN- How to make a harder cast bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Cast bullets can be heat treated to increase their hardness providing your alloy has 2% or more antimony present.
    Not true

To heat treat your bullets: Cast your bullets in the normal manner, saving several scrap bullets. Size using RCBS 2 Lube. WASH OFF.

I'm not sure what is special about RCBS, and you definitely do not need to lube if oven heat treating. Washing off is pointless, unless you lubed them for some reason.

Place several scrap bullets on a pan in your oven at 450 degrees and increase the temperature until the bullets start to melt or slump. Be sure to use an accurate oven thermometer and a pan that will not be used again for food. Once the bullets start to melt or slump, back off the temperature about 10 degrees and slide in your first batch of good bullets.

There's a lot more finesse to it than this. The chances this working as described with a cheap toaster oven without mods is pretty slim.

Leave these in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the bullets from the oven and plunge them into cool water. Allow them to cool thoroughly. When you are ready to lubricate, install a Lyman sizing die .001" larger than the one used to initially size them, OR Tumble lube with Alox.

You do not need a die .001" bigger.

This will prevent the sides of the bullets from work-softening from contact with the sizing die. Next apply gas checks if required and lubricate.

If you pre-sized bullets, sizing again in the same die will not work soften them. Even if you did not size them, any sizing now would be temporary. Even if you did not size, waited months, then sized, the hardness is unaffected, and any minor surface variations is up for debate.

BULLETS WILL TAKE 2 WEEKS TO FULLY HARDEN. These are now ready for loading.

Probably true in this example. It is not necessarily true for water quenched from mold, and not true for air cooled bullets.

Boolit Master
    Are you using clip on or stick on weights?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Are you using clip on or stick on weights?
    While a valid question, he does say they are 13 BHN.

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    BHN air cooled is 13 BHN and water quenched is......13 BHN.
    OOC#1: How are you determining BHN ?
    OOC#2: Why do you think you need anything harder/for what purpose/what pressure?

Boolit Master

Not every Lead compound will respond to quenching. Most scrap Lead will have a little bit of a lot of things. I want at least a little bit of Tin and Antimony. When present in Lead, as the Lead freezes, a bunch of things happen. When you have almost any alloying element in the Lead, freezing of the Lead does not happen in a smooth front, but instead you will have tree-like structures ("dendrites") growing into the still liquid areas. The solid Lead is more dense than the liquid, and liquid will flow into areas where freezing is happening. The dendrites grow thick enough to restrict flow of liquid, and when flow is restricted enough you end up with voids. Tin inhibits dendrite formation, resulting in less voids, but it will do two more things: it is a substitutional alloying element, and it forms compounds with the Lead and Antimony, and I believe also with Lead and Arsenic.

Metals have an atomic structure. Much of a element's properties are determined by its atomic structure. Lead is Face centered cubic, and metals with such structures are always ductile. If you want to make it harder, you need to introduce something to reduce ductility, you need to do things that stress the structure. Lead-Tin-Antimony alloy's structure is stressed principally two ways: by Tin atoms substituting for Lead atoms, and by Lead-Tin_Antimony forming small islands of a compound which inhibit deformation. Tin atoms have a diameter which is close to that of a Lead atom, but not quite the same, so when substituted into the Lead crystal lattice, the lattice is stressed, and deformation is more difficult. The small islands of Lead-Tin-Antimony, or -Arsenic, also inhibit deformation. Island or particle sizing is critical, and really small gives the best inhibition of deformation. If you keep Lead hot, the really small islands will coalesce, resulting in larger islands, which give less deformation resistance. The way you get hard Lead-Tin-Antimony or -Arsenic is to quench it quickly, resulting in really small islands.

Tin substituting into the Lead lattice seems to not produce much hardening, and it produces little hardening at a high cost for Tin, so few people will add more than a little Tin. If you have insufficient Antimony, you get no little islands, so quenching produces no effect.

Water drop harding alloy needs 2% antimony. Grain-boundary strengthening or Hall-Petch strengthening makes the bullet harder. The more antimony the faster the bullet will reach it full hardness level. Smelting produces many different metals. Swaged or cast, dont matter, heat treating/water drop still works if antimony is in the alloy. Its a proven fact oven treating gives more balanced harding from bullet to bullet, then just droping from the mould. Large amounts of tin is not needed or wanted in water dropping. For air cooled 2% tin is needed for velocity over 900fps. Why > Lyman>
    Quote:
    While antimony is used to harden the bullet, the mixture of tin is critical, for while antimony mixes with lead in its molten state, it will not remain mixed when it solidifies. If tin were not added, we would have pure antimony crystals surrounded by pure lead. A bullet of this type , while it feels hard , would certainly lead the bore and eliminate all potential for accuracy.. In a lead-tin-antimony mixture, the antimony crystals will be present just the same, but they will be imbedded in a lead-tin mixutre. As the bullet cools the tin will form around the antimony-lead keeping your bullets from leading the bore.

The alloys with 2 and 4% Sb harden comparatively slowly, and the alloy containing 6% Sb appears to undergo optimum hardening.

More- https://www.freepatentsonline.com/5464487.html

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I have tried quenching before with zero results but at that time the alloy was unknown so it was to be expected. Today I tried it with known wheel weights. I am the one that smelted the weights so I know what I have. Casting temp was 700 for one batch and 750 for the ones in the aluminum mold. Water was right out of the ground cold. Bullets were dropped from the mold directly into the water and they did hiss when they hit. BHN air cooled is 13 BHN and water quenched is........................... 13 BHN. So where in this process did I go wrong? I am tempted to pour some molten lead into the water and then test the stuff that results to see what that reads! I seriously doubt I need to cast any hotter. Let me rephrase that, I am NOT going to cast any hotter since I am already waiting on the mold to solidify before I can even open it.
    If you want them harder you will have to size then Heat Treat them in an Oven and Cold Quench .

Dropping from a mould into water does little or nothing to change the hardness as compared to air cooled , two week old boolits .

You will hear how great water dropped boolits are but do some testing and see what works . I have done hands on testing and I don't water drop . Air cooled and aged work just fine .
    Need a harder boolit go with a harder alloy like linotype metal .
    For harder boolits you can Heat Treat them , see post #8 and search the term :
    " Heat Treating Cast Bullets " properly heat treating a sized boolit will increase the hardness some ... but how much depends on the alloy .

Let me also add ...hardness is way over rated ... Fit trumps hardness seven ways to Sunday .
    One of the best boolit alloys is soft lead / COWW in a 50-50 mix , air cooled !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Add linotype & air cool. Less work.

I test different methods to see if it works. I suggest that everyone do there own testing.

I use the easy way to good cast bullets. Simply add linotype to harden & increase bullet diameter & air cool. But it does raise the cost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201211_084139.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle
    Let me also add ...hardness is way over rated ... Fit trumps hardness seven ways to Sunday .
    One of the best boolit alloys is soft lead / COWW in a 50-50 mix , air cooled !
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    (absolutely This.....)
    See Post#11 questions again

See Post

Boolit Master

I suspect your alloy. 20 years ago with the condemnation of all things lead by California we saw all sorts of "New Alloys" creeping into the Wheel Weight Market; including the largely maligned and decried Zink Wheel Weight in the Casting Community. I am almost done shooting up the almost 2000 lbs of "Good Wheel Weights" my wife bought for me at a Tire shop back in the Late 1980's (She bought them cheap and I had to go and pick them upload them in the Truck, and smelt them myself - she felt the had done her wifely duty).

Over the last few years I have settled on the Isotope Containers as my source of lead. I have made a few purchases from Hammer Lane on this site and have been pleased. Since I received the same type of Isotope Container each time; my alloy is "Consistent"; or as consistent as one can get buying and reusing some product not tailored specifically to boolit making. My alloy from this source is 96% lead, 3% Antimony, and 1 % Tin.

Despite the experiences of several on this thread; I have had SUCCESS with hardening with this known alloy by directly dropping into a 5 gallon bucket of water immediately after casting/cutting screw and opening to drop from about 2 - 3 feet into the water. If I cast a boolit and let it Air Harden - I get about 9 BHN as measured using a Lee Hardness Tester. If I water quench and test after two weeks or so; I get a BHN of about 22 to 22.7 BHN hardness as tested using a Lee Hardness Tester. If I am using traditional lube - I lube the boolits "Water Quenched" the same day or next day.

I use the Isotope Lead for Cast Rifle Boolits. The last of the Wheel Weight Lead has been used in casting Pistol Boolits.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold

There is a really great informative video on YouTube titled "Does Cast Bullet Hardness Change Over 1 Year" by TATV Canada. Not linked to here as I don't like clicking on links myself, so just look them up. If you cast bullets, new or old, this is still worth watching.
    ABS Apprentice Bladesmith
    USMC Veteran
    VFW Life Member

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
    Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
    Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    OOC#2: Why do you think you need anything harder/for what purpose/what pressure?
    To answer your questions on what I was using see these two threads. Go to the last few posts of the first thread for the pics. And second thread for pics of the rest of them. This was ALL, 100% lead, no zinc at all. It was old stuff from a reloaders estate. As far as how I tested I used a Lee hardness tester. I hear the comments already. But I tested several samples before and after so the results are consistent.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Linotype/page2
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...63-Todays-haul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    And to answer your question #2 I plan on shooting these from an 03A3 in 3006 at between 1800-2000 FPS. I don't have the pressure right in front of me. But I was looking for 16-18 BHN without having to use up a lot of Linotype if possible. If I have to then I have to. I am not going to lose sleep over it, I don't shoot that many boolits!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast