WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Coated 30 -30

Coated 30 -30

Is there any coated 30-30 bullets on the market that will stand up to max loadings?

Thanks.
    Bullseye is the skill, everything else is just games.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by parisite View Post
    Is there any coated 30-30 bullets on the market that will stand up to max loadings?

Thanks.
    None on the Market that I know of... but mine will. 50/50 Pure and Wheel weight with a little tin for fill out. Smokes carolina blue with Sage's gas check. Lee 150 FN and an undisclosed amount of H335 for 2350 from a Marlin 1 in 10 20 inch carbine. 2 to 3 minutes of angle at 100. This dog will hunt!

Boolit Master

Thanks.
    'Max loading' for what? Whole bunch of difference between the 'max' for a pre-war Win 94 and a Rem 788 bolt gun.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

30/30 is a 40k caliber.

Plenty of alloys can withstand that pressure & have been for near a century.

What are you wanting to do?

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    30/30 is a 40k caliber.

Plenty of alloys can withstand that pressure & have been for near a century.

What are you wanting to do?

CW
    I am wanting to buy online and shoot a commercial coated lead bullet out of a 30-30 rifle at published listed maximum loadings and not get lead smears all in the bore of my Marlin rifle.
    Last edited by parisite; 03-13-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    Bullseye is the skill, everything else is just games.

Boolit Master

Conventionally lubed bullet of Proper hardness and a Gas check & Proper Powder coating will both allow this.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I cast 31141, from wheel weights +tin, lubed 50/50 white label, sized .310 with hornady checks. I load 32 grains of 748 which isn’t max, but duplicates factory recoil and poi. Or 28 grains 3031 which is a grain over max from the Lyman manual for the same duplication.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    'Max loading' for what? Whole bunch of difference between the 'max' for a pre-war Win 94 and a Rem 788 bolt gun.

Bill
    It’s my understanding there is no difference between 30-30 pressures from the two guns. 38kcup or 42kpsi. You imply that old Winchester’s won’t handle the pressure. I have interest in an older Winchester though, but not if they can’t handle full pressure ammo. So I’d like to know.

Laser cast 311 unlubed can be GCd and PCd by you. MBC just has coated PB, not for top end.
    Last edited by popper; 03-13-2022 at 03:59 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayone View Post
    None on the Market that I know of... but mine will. 50/50 Pure and Wheel weight with a little tin for fill out. Smokes carolina blue with Sage's gas check. Lee 150 FN and an undisclosed amount of H335 for 2350 from a Marlin 1 in 10 20 inch carbine. 2 to 3 minutes of angle at 100. This dog will hunt!
    Very nice. Have you tried without the GC? How do the results differ?

Boolit Master
    Get some bullets and try them. Report back what you find. I would bet there will be no problem with leading as long as the bullets fit your bore.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pka45 View Post
    Very nice. Have you tried without the GC? How do the results differ?
    I only load powder coat with no gas check to ~1200 FPS to maintain accuracy. I have not pushed to see how fast I can get them to go and still stay in a respectable group. They do quite well as a hunting bullet powder coat and gas check. I shot 89 rounds recently and when I cleaned the carbine it was one patch with 'Ed's Red' and then a couple of dry patches and the bore showed 'lead free' and shiny. I am happy with this.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayone View Post
    I only load powder coat with no gas check to ~1200 FPS to maintain accuracy. I have not pushed to see how fast I can get them to go and still stay in a respectable group. They do quite well as a hunting bullet powder coat and gas check. I shot 89 rounds recently and when I cleaned the carbine it was one patch with 'Ed's Red' and then a couple of dry patches and the bore showed 'lead free' and shiny. I am happy with this.
    I’d be happy with that!

I am wanting to buy online and shoot a commercial coated lead bullet out of a 30-30 rifle at published listed maximum loadings and not get lead smears all in the bore of my Marlin rifle.
    Does your Marlin have a Micro Groove barrel? If so will this affect anything?

Boolit Grand Master

The only thing special you need for top end 30-30 loads is a gas check. I am not aware of any company that both gas checks, and then coats bullets. A number will coat, and a number will gas check, but not both. Bullet fit can be an issue, since coating adds diameter everywhere. A bore rider is often too tight when coated. Most of the coated rifle bullets you see are of a non-bore riding design, probably for this reason.

If you want coated and gas checked bullets, I'd just buy them from a member here. They will be more accommodating to sizing.