Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag help and considerations

Boolit Buddy

44 mag help and considerations

More then likely this will be more of a range/fun gun but I may use as a hunting/back up woods gun.

I have shot my sons 7.5 Super Blackhawk, it's just to heavy and I don't plan to "Hot Rod" as the 44 special and normal magnum loadings are plenty for me.

I'm after accuracy, decent trigger, ability to mount an optic, etc. I'm thinking a barrel length between 4-6", but recommendations and opinions welcome.

PS: I've been trying to decide for a few years between the 41 and 44. But think 44 is the best way to go for support and availability of info, brass, powders, molds, etc overall.

You'll find that .44 Mag. handguns do tend to be heavier than those made for lesser cartridges, due partially in the strength needed to handle the magnum round, and partially to lessen recoil. You could look at the S&W 29/629 series and also the Taurus Tracker series. I have a S&W 629 with a 3" ported barrel and it is unpleasant to shoot. I have an S&W 629 with a 6 inch barrel (no ports) and it is tolerable with medium loads.

DG

Boolit Master
    Look at the S&W model 69. It’s an L-frame holding five shots.

Boolit Master

I have a Mod 29-6 that I like. It's double action, so there's a little more clicking when it's cocked to shoot single action in the hunting woods. This isn't a problem at the range however. It's very pleasant to shoot with 200 gr cast at 900+ fps. I hunt with 240gr cast at 1000+ FPS and due to the gun's wt it's not bad with that load either. I've never that full 44 mag loads are necessary for anything I do with that gun.

Boolit Master
    The Ruger NM Super Blackhawk & the Blackhawk both share the same main frame size. The Super usually has a 7-1/2" barrel. (There are models with shorter & longer barrels. )
    Also,, in general,, the Super has a steel grip frame,, while most Blackhawks have an alloy frame.

If you desire something a little lighter,, then a shorter barreled gun,, OR,, look into the Flattop version in 44 Special.
    A 44 Special can be loaded heavy enough, (safely) to hunt if desired. I've carried a 4-5/8" barreled one on an elk hunt. Sadly,, I didn't get a chance to use it. But a good cast bullet,, in normal weights,, moving in the 1100 fps range is an excellent & quite capable hunting round.

The .41 magnum comes from Ruger in 4-5/8" & 6-1/2" barrels,, and wears an allow g/f. Plus,, it can handle magnum loads easily,, all while giving the feel of a lighter shooting & easier to pack gun. And most .41 mags enjoy a reputation for accuracy.

But,, since you seem to desire a shorter barrel and lighter weight,, I'd look for a Ruger in the 44 mag,, with a 5-1/2" barrel. You can swap out the grip frame for an alloy one,, OR,, look into a Bisley g/f. Both Ruger ones,, or a custom one from RW gripframes.

As far as a good trigger,, I find it's no issue to get a good smooth trigger & action from a Ruger when a good gunsmith works it over. I've learned how to smooth mine as they aren't very hard to understand.

Optics,, a Weigand mount is one of the best options.

I’m happy with my 44 special flattop Blackhawk, but it’s not a magnum. You can load up to the 25kpsi range for it, which makes it capable, but not into magnum territory. Just short it starting magnum loads. But when I had a super Blackhawk I mostly loaded integrated starting mag or +p special range anyways.

I do though want a 41 mag. Just cause. Availability of components ain’t that hard to get. Just order the mould you want from accurate. I’ve just as often scrounged 45 colt or 41 mag brass as I have 44 special. Never that is.

So, that brings me to the next cartridge in my radar, 45 colt. Make mine a long colt to irritate folks. Ha. But anyways. A red hawk in 45 colt is mmmm in my mind. I don’t know why. And there is some crossover for using 45 acp bullets. Lots to be said for a convertible Blackhawk in 45c/acp too.

Ruger makes the GP100 in a 5 shot 44 spl for Lipsey's as well as a Bisley frame 44 spl in 2 barrel lengths. Either would fit the criteria you laid out. You would probably find one of those for a more reasonable cost that a S&W, but in this day, who knows. The stuff on GunBroker is crazy expensive. Some of these people have too much money!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I’m happy with my 44 special flattop Blackhawk, but it’s not a magnum. You can load up to the 25kpsi range for it, which makes it capable, but not into magnum territory. Just short it starting magnum loads
    +1 for the medium frame New Model Flattop Blackhawk 44 Special! If you are wanting 80% of the 44 Mag power, strength of the Ruger single action design, and less weight than the 44 Mag revolver, this is a great platform to do that with.

I have a medium frame Vaquero that is chambered for 45 Schofield, basically the same gun only 45 caliber, I can get a 250gr boolit to 1200fps and still stay under the 23kpsi pressure ceiling of the gun (23kpsi = 45ACP+P pressure). This is a great packing pistol, fun to shoot, recoil is snappy but not at all sharp or punishing like the full size 44 Magnum or 45 Colt shooting Ruger Only loads.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I've become very fond of my Ruger 50th Anniversary flat top BH 44 magnum. It has a 6 1/2" barrel. I carry it in a vertical shoulder holster or a high ride belt holster, both are comfortable. Given it's weight it is very comfortable to shoot with 44 SPL up through full 44 magnum level loads. My most often used load is the RCBS 44-250-KY or the Lyman 429421 over 8.5 gr Unique in Magnum cases. It is a very comfortable load to shoot for plinking/casual shooting yet is still plenty powerful enough at 1050 fps +/- for "other" critters.

Here are the 1st 12 shots [twice around the cylinder] at 25 yards of that load out of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00909.JPE 
Views:	34 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	297517
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    S&W once marketed a 44 they called the Mountain Gun, light weight 4" barrel. Probably a handful with full power loads but with the loads the OP is planning on likely manageable. Trick is finding one. Other option a 4" M29, heavier but not excessive. As I get older find I like the shorter barrels for both weight reduction and ease of carrying.

Boolit Buddy
    Are Taurus revolvers any good ? I have the powders mentioned, plus blue dot and H110. No molds or dies but I do have brass and a crap load of standard and mag large primers... not to mention lead that I stocked up on years ago.

Anyway, not in a hurry as I've been kicking it around for a while and right when I'm ready, someone comes out with a new 10mm auto (no revolvers) that I buy..lol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    +1 for the medium frame New Model Flattop Blackhawk 44 Special! If you are wanting 80% of the 44 Mag power, strength of the Ruger single action design, and less weight than the 44 Mag revolver, this is a great platform to do that with.

I have a medium frame Vaquero that is chambered for 45 Schofield, basically the same gun only 45 caliber, I can get a 250gr boolit to 1200fps and still stay under the 23kpsi pressure ceiling of the gun (23kpsi = 45ACP+P pressure). This is a great packing pistol, fun to shoot, recoil is snappy but not at all sharp or punishing like the full size 44 Magnum or 45 Colt shooting Ruger Only loads.
    Been a while since we talked. However, the GP100 .357 cylinder and M&P barrel you reworked for me has made a huge difference in leading (stopped)!

Hope all has been well.

Boolit Buddy
    Personally, I find the S&W M69 (4 1/4" bbl) with Hogue 500 X Frame Tamers handles recoil better than any single action. It is more compact and lighter. It easily accomdates any desired optic (already drilled and tapped). Accuracy, from my experience is on par with other .44s.

My personal favorite, so I'm biased.

FWIW,

Paul

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Been a while since we talked. However, the GP100 .357 cylinder and M&P barrel you reworked for me has made a huge difference in leading (stopped)!

Hope all has been well.
    All good here!

Are Taurus revolvers any good ?
    Meh.... You could easily do better.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I've been kicking this around too long. I have to go and revisit Elmer Keith's stuff as I remember he had a favorite 44 special load.

Anyway, I need two molds to start with that can be used for both 44 Special and light 44 mag loads so what's two good ones to start with? Lee Precision have anything that will work?

Looking to plink, carry as a woods pistol for hogs and I may take an Axis with it too.

I have 44 mags on the Super Blackhawk 7.5", the Redhawk 7.5", S&W 629 6" and 29 6", revolvers. I also just recently got rid of a Super Redhawk w/9.5" barrel. Out of these the 629 weighs the least. I would say it is about 3/4 the weight of the Redhawk.

I only shoot reduced loads in the S&W's and very seldom shoot full magnum loads anymore. I am over that part of my life. The Rugers will handle anything you put in them, within reason. The Smiths' I would avoid a steady diet of magnum loads. That is me.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

You don't have to push bullets fast for a 44 mag to be effective. Go with a heavy for cal bullet at a moderate velocity & you will have more than enough power for what ever. If you drive , say a 280 gr bullet ( as pictured, 260gr on the left, 280gr on the right ) around 1000 fps you will have loads of power with moderate recoil. Even at 800 to 900 fps you will have impressive momentum & penetration.Attachment 297526

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I've been kicking this around too long. I have to go and revisit Elmer Keith's stuff as I remember he had a favorite 44 special load.

Anyway, I need two molds to start with that can be used for both 44 Special and light 44 mag loads so what's two good ones to start with? Lee Precision have anything that will work?

Looking to plink, carry as a woods pistol for hogs and I may take an Axis with it too.
    I suggest, to plink with either of lee's (available in 6 cavity moulds) the 429-200-RF or the TL430-240-SWC. Loaded over 6 gr or 5 gr respectively in SPL cases they are quite pleasant and accurate. I Magnum cases up the charge 1 gr for either.

For an all around bullet it is hard to beat either the RCBS 44-250-KT or the Lyman 429421 "Keith" bullets. Loaded over 8.5 or 9.0 gr of Unique they are excellent mid range loads. For top end magnum loads both will serve well over 22 gr of 2400. However, for an outstanding medium/big game bullet I suggest the Lyman Devastator cast of 16-1 alloy loaded over 23.5 gr of H110 in Magnum cases.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	429640HP.JPE 
Views:	25 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	297527
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have had good luck with Lee molds and the 2 Larry mentioned are good plinkers or hunting boolits for that matter with the 240 gr. The Lyman 429421 is Elmers baby and as I have said before, he got it right when he designed it. For what a new Lyman 2 cavity mold cost you can add $7 to it and get a 3 cavity NOE 255 gr that looks like a dead ringer for Elmers booliit. Get a pair of 6 cavity Lee mold handles and you are good to go.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

I second the S&W model 69. I have almost settled on two molds, NOE 234 and 281 gr bullets.
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...34-234-rf-br2/
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...2-281-wfn-bp1/
    I have found no need for gas checks with these.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast