RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Plinker load for a &mm Roller ?

Plinker load for a &mm Roller ?

So, I got me a Saddle ring Carbine ( Uraguay) with a nice tight bore but kind of a Sloppy chamber. Picked up the NOE plain base version of the the Hammer hunting bullet for the &mm and was wondering if i could make up a decent plinker round for woods walking small game. i am wanting something along the lines of the " universal" Unique load, but I was wondering if i could maybe use up some of the green or red dot I have around before breaking into my last stash of Horded unique. any one have any experience with making an old Rolling block in 7mm shoot good with cast ?

Boolit Master

First thing I would is slug the bore. Alot of the older 7 m/m's have a bore diameter around 0.290. The last 7 m/m Fn 98 I had slugged at 0.293. Paper patching can be your best friend in this case. It did shoot the Lee 130 gr patched up surprizing well.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

If you can find the right sized light bullet I suspect a Red Dot load in the 3 to 4.5 gr range would do well.

They certainly do well in my .30's, especially the .30-30.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Bub
    I have a 7mm rolling block rifle, shooting the lee 135 grn. with 18 grns 2400. lapped the mold out to .290 or less. sizing at .288, any smaller didn't work, anything bigger wouldn't crimp the gas checks. It shoots okay, bore is rough. Fire formed brass and redding bushing neck sizer. tried a NOE 175 grain, casts at .290 or so, didn't do any better than the 135 grn

I shoot the Mid South Soup Can in my 7 mm RB, (LEE mold sold by Midsouth Shooters supply about 140 gr or so) Also have NOE 7 mm Thor with PB & GC cavities, I think it is a Lyman 285??? with the tip cut off for a larger metplat.

I need to bump the pressure up a little to get the necks to seal I do not recall exact amount of Red Dot but more than 3 or 4 gr. With light loads gases will vent through fire pin hole and into face if necks do not seal, which is a scary surprise. Similar to light revolver loads when the sides of the cases come out of the cylinder sooty. A full case of Trailboss is enough to seal the necks. Subsequent loadings are neck sized and I index the cartridges when I chamber them such that the Head stamp is orientated the same for all shots fired.

Mid Range Loads I use RL-7

My bore is dark but does not shoot too badly.

I am encountering the Same issues, sooty case and needed pretty stiff loads to seal also necks are WAY expanded, I think if I were to keep this barrel i would have to get a bushing neck sizer die and shoot my lead unsized.