Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor conversion from 308

Boolit Buddy

6.5 Creedmoor conversion from 308

Hi Guys,
    Im looking to start conversion of 308 to 6.5 Creedmoor as i see big demand and low supply.
    While we have all the machines to do the conversions, (annealer, 1050 auto etc..)
    Im getting challenged with the Neck.

There are few option for reaming, turning and both.
    I do like reaming better than turning as it is a faster process for us.
    Looks like turning is going to take longer and in general be more pain.

Which is better and more important?

I did run into the IDOD machine that does them both, do you guy's think that is the way to go?
    Does it worth the cost? about $2k

Thank you for the input

Ori

Boolit Master

Its better if you start with 243 as it stretches the case mouth when resizing to 30cal. 7-08 is a hit & miss but a 308 will definitely need reaming or turning.
    I used to turn 308 necks but ended up with split case mouths after one or 2 firings. Reaming has lesser runout issue but just the same, ends with lesser brass life.
    Don't forget about fire-forming as you need that improved neck to convert. YMMV
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Buddy
    We dont have many 243 brass so it is not an option for us to convert.
    308 is the only brass that we get in qty that would justify the conversion.
    If we dont have at least 20k cases to convert it is not worth it for us to start.

I forgot to add the link for the IDOD machine, here it is

https://fclassproducts.com/idod

I would prefer reaming from the technical aspect of doing things, i'm just not sure which is better and what is more acceptable as we are planning to sale the brass and not for personal use.
    IF doing both ID and OD would make better prass that would add "value" to it i dont mind to do the extra effort to produce a better product, if it doesn't matter to anyone, i should save the time

Given that a friend who just bought a Browning in 6.5 Creedmore had no trouble at all obtaining brass, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about buying reformed range brass, even if it were cheap.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Given that a friend who just bought a Browning in 6.5 Creedmore had no trouble at all obtaining brass, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about buying reformed range brass, even if it were cheap.
    I tend to agree. I just picked up 500 once fired for less than .50 per round and there appears to be no lack. I'd be curious what the market would bear price wise for reformed .308 brass. Good luck on your endeavor.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I currently form 243 to 260, a no brainer.
    However, there is a bump in the Creedmore road. Federal claims their 6.5 Creedmore brass is 80k brass. I do not know of any 308 brass that is claimed to be 80k brass by anyone manufacturing the brass. Most brass manufactures claim 65k with a proof to 80k or more. However proof loads and a steady diet are very different.
    Just a different view of the road.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Banner Sponsor

I think Remington has 6mm credemore in stock

Boolit Master
    At one time, RCBS made a case neck reaming die that secured the case neck then the reamer, supported by the reaming die, cut the inside of the case neck while held in alignment by the die. It worked in a standard press and is much faster than hand turning case necks. It will take a lot of cases sold to pay for a $2000 machine AND make a reasonable profit ($10, $20, $40 per hour) AFTER expenses.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I currently form 243 to 260, a no brainer.
    However, there is a bump in the Creedmore road. Federal claims their 6.5 Creedmore brass is 80k brass. I do not know of any 308 brass that is claimed to be 80k brass by anyone manufacturing the brass. Most brass manufactures claim 65k with a proof to 80k or more. However proof loads and a steady diet are very different.
    Just a different view of the road.
    Do you have a source for the 80K claim? The AMU V-8 loads in for the 80 grain bullets in the 5.56 tested at 77K to 78K. It toasted LC crimped primed brass in one firing. The 80K cartridges that I am aware of are using SS heads on a two piece case.

Federal tends to have softer case heads. It would be very interesting if they came up with a new process that allows a traditional brass case to withstand 80K.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    when the 6.5CM came out, hornady forgot to sell the brass. i did 22-250 brass into a 6.5CM brass, werks fer me, even tho it is a little short.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you guys for all the reply's.
    I'm just looking to expand selection of brass we can offer.
    It seams that i could sell more 6.5cm if i had it, that's the reason of looking into 308.
    We have been doing 300bk for so many years now... time for something new.
    I wish i could do Grendel as that one has so many calls every week for.

It is a good thing to get ready for the next brass wen things are slow and relaxed.
    Last year i was digging brass from under our benches trying o fulfill order that came faster than we can count.
    It was my 2nd shortage (my 1st was 2013) we will be ready better (I hope ) for the 3rd one

If you guys know of any conversion that might be in demands I'll be happy to get a good Tip
    Thank you
    Ori