Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unburned 2400 in 44 mag

Hmmm, I run lots of 2400 and see very little residue. I do use it for higher pressure rounds. Since switching to FWFL exclusively I have clean shiney barrel after firing most rounds.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45shootr View Post
    I'm using 14 gr 2400 behind Lees' 215 gr sw in 44 mag cases. My barrel (44 super redhawk), seems to have unburned powder left. Is this a sign of what? I pan lubed the boolits with beeswax/crisco 50/50. This is more or less a plinking load. Thanx. Chris

I won't comment on the low charge weight you are using. That has already been covered. However, even with full power loads, you will get as much as 30% of the charge weight left unburned when you work with 2400.

Years ago Handloader magazine had a great article written by a research chemist that worked for one of the big ammo manufacturers. He looked at improving the cumbustion of 2400 and which parameters were most effective. It was a very complicated, time consuming and very thorough experiemntal protocol. What he reported was that he found anywhere from 18% to over 30% of the charge weight was blown out the muzzle with 2400, regardless of the primer or bullet weight.

The article was entitled "Component Compatibility for Peak Efficiency", the author's name was Richard Underwood, and the issue of Handloader was Sept-Oct 1971, Number 33, page 35.

His definition of efficiency was the amount of combustion of the powder charge. The impetus for the article was that the company he worked for developed a match load for .22 Long Rifle ammo by finding a combination of components that achieved 100% efficiency. He questioned whether the same approach would benefit handgun ammo and looked at 2400 in the .44 Mag.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the interesting post. I'll stick to using 2400 in my rifle rounds.