MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Plastic buffer

Boolit Master

Plastic buffer

Found 2 bags of MEC plastic buffer#520. If I found a load that calls for BP #47 buffer can I replace it with the MEC buffer?
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 03-13-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Boolit Master

No the buffer data is all for specific buffers. So it is not worth the risk. FB

Boolit Master
    Dang it,was thinking the same. guess I will have to order buffer from BP like everything else I want for reloading Shotshells.thank you

Boolit Grand Master

You can replace BPI #47 with your MEC 520. It's all the same stuff, flaky plastic bits. I'm pretty sure MEC 520 and BPI original are the exact same thing. There is little change in pressure with PR spherical buffer. The reason those warnings exist is because people in the past tried to use the dumbest things for buffer like white flour, and muffin mix. Those are a whole different ballgame. Plastic buffer is plastic buffer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You can replace BPI #47 with your MEC 520. It's all the same stuff, flaky plastic bits. I'm pretty sure MEC 520 and BPI original are the exact same thing. There is little change in pressure with PR spherical buffer. The reason those warnings exist is because people in the past tried to use the dumbest things for buffer like white flour, and muffin mix. Those are a whole different ballgame. Plastic buffer is plastic buffer.
    Thank you Megasupermagnum

If load data doesn't list a buffer, a reduced powder charge may be needed? https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-12237785

Hodgdon has loads using the 2 3/4" FEDERAL STEEL SHOT SHELLS .090" BASE WAD & HS-6. 5 different velocities are listed . Wads Fed. 12S3 & Fed. 12S4. Adding a buffering agent can make tighter patterns, if needed.

Boolit Master

I was thinking the mec 520 was the same as the Precision reloading 520. I bought manual Tom Roster did. He has some loads with choice of 520 or BP47 but different weights. I will try to take a look at them side by side for curiosity sake. Jim, What type of load are you looking at ? I will try to post a pic of some load info from that manual. Mega, I was reading older Handloader magazines back when they guys were trying the flour and other stuff. Those experiments I believe were a bit sketchy lol.
    This might be a good thread to look into some buffered loads. I started and tried a few bit got side tracked before I got any good comparisons. Might be a good tome to start again. FB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebricker View Post
    I was thinking the mec 520 was the same as the Precision reloading 520. I bought manual Tom Roster did. He has some loads with choice of 520 or BP47 but different weights. I will try to take a look at them side by side for curiosity sake. Jim, What type of load are you looking at ? I will try to post a pic of some load info from that manual. Mega, I was reading older Handloader magazines back when they guys were trying the flour and other stuff. Those experiments I believe were a bit sketchy lol.
    This might be a good thread to look into some buffered loads. I started and tried a few bit got side tracked before I got any good comparisons. Might be a good tome to start again. FB
    Ya, I just saw a load that called for PR 520 in one of my manuals,just forgot where it was.

Boolit Master
    Ok I found the load that uses PR 520 buffer in the bismuth loading section of Lyman #5 manual page 241
    All of the other loads use PR PSB buffer.