Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo shortage is fading

Ammo shortage is fading

It looks like the ammo shortage is fading away (at least in Central MO). My Grandson and I went to the range yesterday and as always I police the brass that is on the ground. For quite a while now the range has been deserted and there was very little brass. Yesterday I picked about a thousand pieces of brass, mostly 9mm, but 10mm, and 223 and other. My Grandson (Kason) shot a Heritage Rough Rider 22, my Hi Power (he didn't much care for the hammer bite he got) his Ruger American .243 (1st time and once he got used to it was like a pro) and my AR (he shot two magazines and loved it). We had a great time and got some good outdoor time. I was just surprised there was that much brass on the ground. Hopefully, the great ammo shortage is letting up.

Boolit Grand Master
    223 was 50 cents a round at the gun show this past weekend, at a few places.

Been seeing more brass left at the range lately, at least after it gets warm for a few days.

Boolit Master

Seeing some .223 at $13.99 per 20 rounds. All available commercial ammo on shelves here in Northwest Montana seem to be dropping somewhat in price - but significantly higher than 2 years ago. Most shelves are full; but if you don't want .223, 308, (some 30-06), 9mm, 40 S&W, or even limited 50BMG - no reason to go to the Stores selling ammo unless your hoping for the outside chance some other caliber will be there.

No powder at most locations; there are a couple of ships that have powder in stock at high rprices - but not scalping. Only primers I know of available locally are Large Pistol at $9.00 per hundred, or I know where there are 5 boxes of 500 each 50BMG primers - but price is too high given I have a good store of them in the reloading shed.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Temporary supplies are a lull - copper hit $5/lb over the weekend. Brass will follow suit shortly.

Banned
    lets go brandon!!!!!!

the oil is up to $125 a barrel. why?

answer:
    lets go brandon!!!!!!!!!

price of brass?

answer:
    lets go brandon!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    The "shortage" may be fading, but $72 for a box of 45LC, or $62 for a box of 300 Savage isn't going to make folks run into the woods or the range. Those are actual local prices at SW. They had 35 Remington for $48 per box and 30 Carbine for $92 per box. Nope, not shooting those.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It may be regional. I don't see it fading around me. Empty shelves everywhere. And when any ammo does hit the shelf, it's high as a cat's back... but it still sells out fast. So it's going to be high as long as that keeps happening. I do HOPE the shortage will fade, but it might be a while.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I went into Cabela's Buda a few weeks ago and they had several shelves full of factory ammo in all sizes but the prices were insane. In addition, there were plenty of jacketed bullets and lead shot (also at high prices) - but no primers, no powder and no brass of any sort.

If you see ammo come back at an affordable price it is only because Biden is screwing up.

Boolit Master

Plenty of ammo at every gun shop I stopped in on a 3100-mile road trip last week. But, prices were 100% over normal everywhere.

Some oddball primers and a few cans of powder in a shop in Twin Falls, ID. No powder, but a bunch of CCI SPP at $9.99 per 100 in a shop in Yuma, AZ. Picked up 1500 of those just to make sure I was good to go for a couple more years.

Ammo is back, but not all ammo. My brother hasn't seen 6.5 PRC available for two years. I told him to buy the dies and bullets, and I would load him up some hunting ammo.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I live about 40 miles west of downtown St. louis along I-70. In the next town west of me is a Rual King that has a Hunting section that is nearly as big as the rest of the store. Last week they had .223 at $13.99 for a 20 box and 22LR at $5.99 in a box of 50. The .223 was on a pallet and covered about 1/2 of it and piled about waist high. There was a bunch of other stuff but I was in a hurry and didn't look around much. I don't even look at Walmart any more.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Was at both Walmarts last week. Picked up four boxes of 3” #5 10 round boxes of turkey loads for $5.96 a box! Only four they had in #5’s. The day before I was at the other Walmart in town and bought 4 boxes of 5 count of the long range #5 turkey loads for $6.79 a box. No one was in the hunting department as usual so I took them to the front of the store to check out. Assumed the sale and took 4 boxes with me each time and wasn’t told there was a three box limit. They sold me four boxes both times without a question. They also had plenty of the 5 count boxes of 4 and 5 shot left on the shelf when I was there. About a case in each store if I had to guess. None of the 10 round boxes in the first store or I would have bought those first and called it done. I was in there the day before yesterday and all was gone accept 2, 5 count boxes of the long range 3” shells so I figured I gave everyone else a chance and grabbed the last two.

They have had at least a case of federal auto match 22lr and Winchester anniversary 22lr ammo every time I’ve walked in there since last fall. Rifle ammo is hit and miss. Different calibers every time I walk in but I don’t look since I reload all my centerfire ammo. They shotgun ammo went WAY up there. I bought two boxes of 100 count #7.5’s for $19 and $21 last fall. They are selling the exact same stuff in a box of 25 for $12.99 now.

Well, I have 70 rounds of 3” #5 turkey loads so I am good till I die. Lol. I usually shoot 1 to 2 times a year during season at max once I figure which choke works best with my load.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-08-2022 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    A lot of ammo but high prices only real shortages I see is shotgun shells especially.410.

I stopped in at one of the academy stores the other day. They had about 10 to 15 different brands of 9mm, 223 ammo. Some 380s, and a little bit of 22lr. Some if probably 10 other calibers. Some various shotgun ammo. Not nearly full, but maybe a quarter of what they had BB.Before Brandon . It is getting better..... not cheaper, but some was reasonable if you didn't have any

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Little or nothing in the box stores around here and the local gun shop has 6.5 creedmore ammo for $65/box of 20 rounds. Powder was $45/lb. Primers are in the back of the store. You have to buy 5 lbs of powder for primers to be available to you. The gun shop has a bunch that's desperation priced.

Boolit Master
    Lots of ammo here in Oklahoma. Good stuff too, and higher than normal prices but not crazy. Powder has always been available at $30-45 a pound.

Boolit Master
    We have one dealer in this town who places an emphasis on handgun ammo, then rifle and shotgun. After a long drought of all ammo he began getting in large quantities of handgun ammo, started about 3 months ago. This went on until about 3 weeks ago when all ammo came to another full stop. No warning on this, it just happened. He was also getting in powder which had not been available, and now that has also stopped. Quick summary - if it is available and the price doesn't make you scream, take it with you.

Boolit Master
    Yes it's slowly getting back to a more expensive normal. What concerns me is how quickly it could start over again in our geopolitical powder keg.

Boolit Master
    Lots of stuff in stock, but prices are still too high and no primers to be had for love or money. I am starting to wonder if my memory is any good, but $0.10/shot for 22LR seems high to me. Maybe it's not anymore...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Lots of stuff in stock, but prices are still too high and no primers to be had for love or money. I am starting to wonder if my memory is any good, but $0.10/shot for 22LR seems high to me. Maybe it's not anymore...
    It probably is normal now. Pre China flu, 550 ct 22lr Federal bulk packs were selling for $19.97 or 3.6 cpr. Is what it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast