WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hollywood Reloading Press

Boolit Master

Hollywood Reloading Press

Attended a small gun show today, and picked up this heavy duty single stage reloading press.
    It's marked "Hollywood Reloading Tool" on the right side, and "Mfg. By. Hollywood Gun Shop" on the left side. The base, column, and head are all one solid casting, and must weigh at least 30+ pounds. Stands about a foot high. Threaded for standard 7/8-14 dies, and I have the shell holder adapter. This thing is really quality built and nicely machined.
    Spent about an hour cleaning it up, and it's in fine shape. I'll be putting it to work soon.

What have I got here? When was it made? What's it worth? A little history would sure be appreciated.

I've heard about Hollywood tools but never came close to one. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0771.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	297263

Name:	IMG_0772.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	297264

Name:	IMG_0773.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	297265

Name:	IMG_0774.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	297266

Looks to me like you have a Hollywood Senior press.... Somewhat common, and as you can tell a VERY well built press. There are folks here who know much about them....but I'd guess 60's production.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Good buy. Don't know what they're worth but unless you paid a completely stupid amount you got a winner.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

You have a Hollywood Senior press. They came in two sizes, the size you have and a much taller version that also had a reinforcing rod on the front of the press for bullet swaging. I started reloading in 1963 on an identical press to yours that I purchased used from one of my college professors. If taken care of, that press will outlast you, your children, grandchildren and most likely your great grandchildren.

Here's the tall Hollywood Senior, with my Rockchucker for comparison:

I also still have my original Hollywood Senior, and occasionally still use it. It's as smooth working today as it was when I first bought it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Thats a nice press ALstep, I have one just like yours and as others say (you will never wear it out). Last I looked at flee bay some were selling @ 400-500$.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master
    The only Hollywood presses I ever get to see are on fleaBay at stupid high asking prices. I don't know what they actually bring, but I've never seen one that looked like I could even start bargaining for.
    The design of that press is not only very strong, but also provides great accuracy in alignment. It should produce great ammo.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Hollywood bought the rights to the original Universal press at the beginning of WW2, After the war they released it with some improvements and upgrades. That led to the 12 station turrets. The Senior press is entirely a Hollywood design and a popular press in the first half of the 1950's. They are heavy (high shipping) and well made. The Junior is another Hollywood unique design for a less costly press. They also offered a very good powder measure and made their own dies at that time.

1959/1961 saw new upgrades to the Universal press design along with good improvements to the Senior press including turret versions along with several very innovative and expensive shotshell presses. After about 1967 the history of the company gets murky and hard to follow with the retirement and sale to several folks who all clamed to be the Hollywood Reloading tool company.
    In the end a cult like following has grown up around the Hollywood name that has driven the price to astounding levels.
    Other than high quality manufacturing standards there is nothing a Hollywood can do that a RCBS "A" press from the same time would not do easier. That is hearsay to Hollywood lovers but they all have limited leverage for full length sizing that the RCBS swing link does better.

But, Lubedude has his Hollywood's on display around his fireplace and they look great. I have followed his lead and have mine displayed the same way. Other here prefer to use them and that is just as good. They were made to be used.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

As far as history, This is the the best I could find.This is a quote.
    Last edited by super6; 03-07-2022 at 02:34 PM.
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

Thanks to all for your responses. And I did pay stupid money for it, all of $50. Guess it was my lucky day, had no idea what they are going for.

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes something comes around the corner and you just
    can not turn it down! You did very well at $50,

Just use it you wont be disappointed.
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

That was an outstanding buy at $50.00!

There's a press identical to yours (and my original Senior) in the display case at the Nosler outlet store at their plant in Bend, OR. John Nosler started swaging his bullets on that Senior, until Fred Huntington visited him to see what his new Partition Bullets were all about. After returning to Oroville, Fred sent John a new RCBS A2 to do his swaging with. Sometime later, John Nosler sold his Hollywood press at a yard sale in Bend, and a neighbor bought it. Quite a few years later, the buyer donated it back to the Nosler Company, as he felt that was where it belonged.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Thanks to all for your responses. And I did pay stupid money for it, all of $50. Guess it was my lucky day, had no idea what they are going for.
    Yep, stupid money. I feel so badly for you I'll double what you paid and even cover shipping. No, no, don't thank me, I'm just that kinda nice guy!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

I had one in the late 60's and one of my buddies couldn't live without one so I sold it to him. I literally and figuratively just brought another one home yesterday. It was part of a package deal on a Sharps-Borchardt chambered in 219 Donaldson Wasp. It has the original threaded shellholders (I have to get an adapter to use regular shellholders) and all of the forming and loading dies. Built to last!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Looks just like the one I do my rifle rounds on, mine has a bit of what I call slop but my loads all chamber and shoot just fine.

I don't like the lack of feel when priming maybe it's just less leverage. No priming problems just a personal bug about it.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    I'll give you 2 gallons of diesel for it.

nice haul
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.