Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you organize your shell holders?

How do you organize your shell holders?

Help I'm trapped in a shell-holder hide-n-seek nightmare! J/K LOL

Attachment 297223

Seems like every time I get ready to perform a task on my reloading press I'm hunting through my pile of shell-holders. I have buddies that buy a matching shell holder for each die set & keep it with the dies in the storage box. If they load .30-06, .270, .308, .243 they have 4 #3 shell holders. Everyone does things a little different . I usually de-cap as a separate step which usually involves various calibers that get tumbled clean together before sizing. I use a universal decapping die & I may do a few .223, a few .30-06, a few .45-70, etc. Also, I like top loading bullet seaters so I use extensions that may be used for multiple calibers. I think RCBS use to sell a shell holder rack but I haven't seen one lately. How do you reloader with a lot of calibers store & organize your shell holders?
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I use an old wooden loading block for 45/70 that was kinda shallow and oversize to begin with, keeps them lined up and in order. And then I put that into an old wooden cigar box. Bingo
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I buy a shell holder for each die set snd keep it in the die storage box with the die set.
    Always know where it is, never have to search for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    https://www.amazon.com/DUOFIRE-Organ...6&sr=8-18&th=1

Simple and cheap. Not sure if the ones above are what I bought years ago but you get the idea.

I use them for shotgun bushings as well.

Edit to add:

You waste hours making something or 3D printing or spend $10 and be happy.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I stick mine on a cheap HF magnetic tool strip mounted on the wall.

I do the hunt and peck.

You are assuming I am organized. I put some in die boxes and have some in a plastic drawer that looks like yours. I am guessing a scrap piece of wood, a dowel or two and some imagination and elbow grease could get us organized.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Hi...
    I buy a shell holder for each die set snd keep it in the die storage box with the die set.
    Always know where it is, never have to search for it.
    Same. All my shell holders are dedicated purpose, and they're cheap enough that a couple duplicates doesn't bother me. Since I decap and size in the same step I need the die set anyway, so I guess keeping them with the dies lends itself to my process.

The universal decapping die complicates that, of course. It would either mean bringing out the die set for each caliber, or having yet another set of holders for decapping. In that case I would probably go with a magnetic strip or pan, to hold them all where I can read the numbers. Somewhere I won't accidentally knock them all off and roll them under the bench, of course.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Same. All my shell holders are dedicated purpose, and they're cheap enough that a couple duplicates doesn't bother me. Since I decap and size in the same step I need the die set anyway, so I guess keeping them with the dies lends itself to my process.

The universal decapping die complicates that, of course. It would either mean bringing out the die set for each caliber, or having yet another set of holders for decapping. In that case I would probably go with a magnetic strip or pan, to hold them all where I can read the numbers. Somewhere I won't accidentally knock them all off and roll them under the bench, of course.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    A universal shell holder for a universal decapping die, it wouldn't be hard, think I'll make me one!

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    Help I'm trapped in a shell-holder hide-n-seek nightmare! J/K LOL
    You have a clear box, hey,,,,,,, that's pretty fancy.

I have mine, along with a few other needful things like 'the other size' primer ram, case prep tools, a 4 finger 1911 bushing,
    and I'm not sure, but I think it's a small ball of belly button lint in a old school cigar box without a lid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    GONRA does same thing as 375SuperMag. Pays off guys!

Super Moderator

I'm another one who keeps his shell-holders in my die boxes, and top punches in my mold boxes. I will admit though, that I have some containers that look like the OP's picture of shell-holders. Most are duplicates though, or for other cartridges I no longer own or load for.

Boolit Master
    I use a couple of these, pretty inexpensive. The number stickers stink but i put them in numeric order and know pretty quick which stack is the right one. Made by RCBS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rc_09461-shellholderrack.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	297238
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    small cup hooks or small wood screws installed in the edge of an eye level shelf on your reloading bench will also work

Keep them with the correct dies in their box. If you have no boxes and store them loose then slide the shell holder onto the exposed threads of the decapping rod of the die.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I use to keep them in the reloading die box. But with 243,3006, and other multiple calibers that use the same shell holder. Then I started just putting them in a box, that was a mess. Then I started using bobbin holding containers. Next time your wife goes to the fabric shop have her look for one that will hold either 12 or 24 bobbins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shell holders have machining tolerance too...

I keep the ones I use for a cartridge in the die box for that cartridge. I know they vary several thousandths of inch in terms of height from the feature that interfaces w/ ram to the pocket base that supports the shell head. Why would I want to set up my dies every time I use them? One shell holder for a die set, lock the dies in adjusted position for the rifle it's for (talking bottleneck, as those are usually rifle case) and good to go.
    I generally don't partial length size brass. I measure it fired to shoulder w/ a comparator insert that clears the neck and bears on shoulder, set the dies to 0.001 - 0.002 shorter, and run them that way. I have gotten 40 uses out of 8x57 w/ cast and never annealed when set up this way.

I figure 40 shots is pretty good, and had some group issues before when annealing by hand & torch. Hard to get every case annealed the same, and did some group testing that proved that to me w/ 44 mag. Probably bullet pull differed w/ cases annealed to varying degrees.

Rimmed, straight brass (most pistol I have): set the die so it runs all the way down and never worry about fit in a chamber. I don't have any loose chamber/die matches, so don't worry about sloppy chambered cases and body splits.

Boolit Master
    https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Orga...s%2C325&sr=8-4

Found locally, they are only about $5-$6 and work well. I have different brands, so I use the RCBS numbers and only take one off the rack at a time. I also use them for MEC powder bushings.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Ditto only bigger.
    Thimble rack holds my shell holders and Wilson case trimmer holders.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have all of mine in an old die box. But I have a shellholder reference ID sheet taped on the inside lid identifying what number Lyman and RCBS goes to which caliber. I really dont have much of a problem with it even though I have multiple Lyman and RCBS shel holders for one caliber. I still only reload 5 calibers. Probably a good idea just to keep them in the die box.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast