Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reminder to be careful out there...

Boolit Master

Reminder to be careful out there...

Hi...
    Yesterday I went to the gun club with my son.
    When we got home, I was helping unload our stuff and was carrying a four gun hard sided pistol case in one hand and a leather shooting back in the other with eight revolvers in it.
    Walking through the garage, I tripped over the discharge chute on my lawn tractor and took a hard fall onto the concrete floor.
    Fortunately, when I face planted my forehead hit the plastic hard sided pistol case and not the concrete.
    Still, I have bumps and bruises on my left knee and shoulder, a twisted lower back and a bad strain in my arthritic neck along with a couple of scrapes on my left hand and wrist.

After my son helped me get back on my feet he insisted that the 67 year old antique set on a chair while he finished unloading the truck.
    I didn't argue...

I woke up this morning with aches and pains pretty much from head to toe.
    Living proof that old guys should not be bouncing off concrete floors.
    So...be careful out there, guys.

I gave all my ladders away.. @ 67 I cant take the fall anymore.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy

It doesn't take much to get tipped over and banged up. Glad it wasn't worse.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, I slipped twice on the ice this winter. One was a complete summersault. Shopping cart emptied out and the oranges rolled away. Got a scar to remind me.

Boolit Grand Master
    You had me worried for a bit...thought someone had passed...

Sorry to hear of your accident. Take some Naproxen for the pain. I find it is the best for me.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I'm still learning how to manuver in my basement,to much junk around . Well my wife calls it junk it's treasure to me.

Boolit Master

Wife insists I drive the car to the Mail box instead of getting one of my many "Mini" walks in each day. She's afraid I will fall on the ice even with Ice Clampers on my boots.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

375Supermag, yes, that could have ended much worse. Glad to hear that you came out of it with as little aftereffect as you got. Pain tells us that we're still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Wife insists I drive the car to the Mail box instead of getting one of my many "Mini" walks in each day. She's afraid I will fall on the ice even with Ice Clampers on my boots.
    That's what I do. There was a time when I was superman, but I've since learned that the superman thing was all in my head. One morning I went out to start the car to warm it up. When I went to bed it was above freezing, but during the night we had some rain and freezing temps. I hit the stairs without a care. My feet went out from under me and I was horizontal in the air. I tried to fall the best I could. I didn't want to land on my back and maybe break it. So I rotated in the air and came down with my lower right arm and wrist between the stair and my body. It was like a pepper grinder effect. I turned my bones into ground bones. I was in an erector set for quite some time. I had a nurse call me to suggest I not follow the PT that I would be given or I would lose most of the use of the arm. I took her advice and have most of the use of it, 95%. I found out that the PT they wanted me to do is recommended for someone in their 80s who doesn't need to use their arms very much. Phooey on that! I did my own PT. If what I was doing hurt I stopped doing it and came back to it in a few days. I did more and more each day. Anyway, superman? No. Now 25 years later it's even easier to see that I'm not superman. So yes, I drive the car to the mailbox even if I have cleats on my boots.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

I can confirm that at 67 you don't bounce very well. Slipped on an icy sidewalk 3 weeks ago and broke a rib. Still can't lie down and sleep in bed......
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Wet grass and a wheelbarrow took out my ribs. Never again.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Yep, I slipped twice on the ice this winter. One was a complete summersault. Got a scar to remind me.
    An older brother slipped on a small patch of ice by the mailbox last week. Fractured his pelvic bone.
    We left the snow & ice behind a long time ago. I’d rather face a hurricane every decade than deal with snow and ice four months a year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    I gave all my ladders away.. @ 67 I cant take the fall anymore.
    I hear you. Tried using my 36' extension ladder a couple of days ago. Needless to say, that project is still needing to be done, and the ladder is for sale.

It ain't just you old guys. (Yeah, I'm 63 and right behind and yah). I saw a post from an ex employee this morning on FB. She had 15 stitches above the left eye. Wouldn't talk about it, but I expect a stupid fall or something falling on her. She and her hubby are good, so no abuse.. just something she's ashamed of doing. Just be careful. I've been lucky, tripped over a big rock this fall and thought I'd broken my ankle, just sprained. Wife has tripped over our two terriers this past year and almost killed herself in doing so. Ribs fractured and elbow dinged up pretty good the last time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Growing old ain't for the timid.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    It's not the fall that hurts you. It's the sudden stop afterwards.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Glad you ok supermag! We all know it could have been much worse! I can totally relate, I’m a little younger than you, I lost my leg roughly 15 years ago from a iron horse accident, no fault of my own, and I deal every day with the pit falls of falling, the older I get the worse it is .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you are mostly ok and not seriously injured. Yeah, us old guys don't land so good anymore!

Boolit Buddy
    Whoever named these “the golden years” was full of bovine excrement.

I have no idea when I stopped bouncing well, but now I do not bounce well at all and I do not jump up either.
    When I decided to replace our in place analog camera system with a new 4K digital system, I got a contractor, he got old too, so I told him we better get us a pretzel-acrobat, to go through the trusses, great choice, that.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Welding leads got me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast