Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: open carry thoughts

Boolit Master

open carry thoughts

maybe its been close to a year since they passed the law that pretty much says anyone can open or concealed carry and permit no longer needed.
    I went to get some gas couple days ago and there was this guy with what looked like it might have been a 7.5" red hawk in big holster on his belt. or maybe it was a 480 or a 500. It just looked odd, and at this sleepy little gas station I wasn't the only one looking at the guy. The guy wasn't little but real skinny and that gun sure did stick out.
    for the past couple days for some reason I can't get this image out of my head.

Boolit Buddy
    Believe it or not CT 8avan open carry state. A few years ago a coworker and 8 got into a small argument about it. I didn't believe that CT was open carry. We looked it up and for sure it was true. But at the bottom of the form it said to use caution when open carrying.

My argument was Your in Walmart and reach for something over your head. And mom comes around the corner and sees your firearm. And YELLS GUN!!! What do you think is going to happen?? The store empties, Cops are called. And you are left with explaining the law with cops with their gun drawn.

Not a scenario that I want to be in. I will just conceal carry all the time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Seen open carriers in my local walmarts and grocery stores in eastern nc. Still not sold on the idea. Just means that the bad guys will jump you first to get you out of the way. But if you’re carrying concealed its a gamble on their parts and if you are situationally aware they probably won’t even bother you. They want an easy target, some sheeple with their nose stuck in their phone. I’ve never seen any long guns being carried around.

Boolit Master
    Meh! WV has been “Shall Issue”, then “Open Carry” and now is “Constitutional Carry” for years.
    You see people with all manner of handguns and knives going anywhere it’s legal and nobody bats an eye. In fact if you called the police about someone carrying they’ll think YOU are the odd one.

Boolit Master
    I'm ok with it but ask yourself where you'll be carrying and who's around. In XDROBs comment, what if instead of some soccer mom it's a punk who's quick enough to grab it?
    Retention, retention, RETENTION. Carry your gun in a holster that won't allow it to be jostled loose or pulled out by someone else. Some of the holsters I've seen in public are a bad joke at best.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Open carry is someone screaming "..hey look at me. I have a gun".
    Now, let me make one thing clear here - I support the right to openly carry if your state allows it.
    But with rights come responsibilities.
    You have a responsibility to your fellow man, and yes even those that are anti-gun liberals, to NOT freak them out and confirm their suspicions about "gun nuts".
    If you must carry, carry concealed.
    No one knows but you.
    Open carry and everyone knows.
    Open carry is not smart for anyone.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=JSnover;5368257]I'm ok with it but ask yourself where you'll be carrying and who's around. In XDROBs comment, what if instead of some soccer mom it's a punk who's quick enough to grab it?

Yes I agree. Another bad situation. So even though I can, I won't!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I like open carry if I am in a remote area as I find it more comfortable and out in the woods I am likely carrying something larger.

In/around towns and cities I am not into open carry at all. Fine if others do it but I do not suggest it nor practice it.

Boolit Master
    Open carry creates a target on that person’s back. Shortly after Texas allowed it, a guy walked into a Dallas Walmart bathroom with a pistol on his belt. Another person noticed, grabbed a tire iron off the shelf and followed him. One crack on the back of the his head at the urinal and the bad guy had a new gun to stick down his pants. The victim didn’t die but suffered a concussion - and he lost his expensive 1911. Best to keep it concealed and make it a nasty surprise if necessary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ohen cepel View Post
    I like open carry if I am in a remote area as I find it more comfortable and out in the woods I am likely carrying something larger.

In/around towns and cities I am not into open carry at all. Fine if others do it but I do not suggest it nor practice it.

This is my view as well. I do open carry when in the woods and even at home when working around some brush piles. I do not like snakes and the .38 snubby with shot capsules is handy and gets the job done. Anywhere else I am concealed.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You can open carry here in AZ and it's not unusual to see it once isn a while. I have no issue with it if someone wants to OC - that's their business. We had a neighbor here in AZ (she has moved) who used to get all upset when she saw someone OC in the local grocery store, etc. It wasn't hard to see what side of the political fence she stood on. She would always bring it up and I would just tell her that it is an individual's right to do it in this state - if she didn't like it, don't look. In more rural areas, I don't think that a lot of folks even give it a thought. Here in , I have known a number of individuals, men and women, who live and work on ranches and they open carry all the time as it goes with the territory - they have livestock and have to deal with a number of things - critters like bobcats, snakes, coyotes (2 and 4 legged kind), etc. and a handgun is a tool they utilize in their work when needed - and when they go to town it goes with them. But, they don't do it to draw attention to themselves.

Personally, I don't like to "advertise". I carry on the belt with a shirt tail or jacket over it but if someone should see it . . . so what? In Michigan, I open carried on the farm all the time as there were plenty of critters to go after but that was different. Any other time, I carry concealed. I don't look for trouble and I hope the I never have to use my firearm, but if I do, I would much prefer the presence of my handgun be a "surprise" to the perp than to have them know about it.

This is strictly my opinion and it doesn't pertain to everyone who open carries . . . but . . . I have now those who seem to somehow get a "rush" by the fact that they can OC and get looks from others. Again, it is their right if the law allows it . . . . but usually they are the ones who think they can handle any situation . . . "well this is what I would do" . . . types . . . .and if anyone has ever taken CPL, CCW training classes, there are always a few bravado ones in every class it seems. The types who think they have to impress everyone for some reason. And sometimes, it seems like some have the concept that a "bigger gun makes me a bigger man". But . . . if the law allows open carry . . . I still go by the measure that it is their right to do so.

Boolit Master
    As we all see here,, there are differing opinions about open or concealed carry.

I live in NC,, and it's been an open carry state for decades. Long before CCW was allowed.

For about 35-40 years,, I've open carried a lot. Especially when I wasn't allowed concealed carry. And,, so do some of the people I associate with.

Only once,, (before CCW,) did anybody call the cops about us. A buddy had his on,,, and the store owner saw it & asked him if he was a cop. When he replied to the negative,, the store owner calls the cops. (He hadn't seen my gun yet.) We kept shopping calmly & did NOT engage in any type of confrontation.
    ONE cop arrived,, and entered,, was pointed to us,, and he casually came over. A short and very polite conversation occurred, and the cop then went to the store owner,,, and proceeded to FIRMLY explain that HE was in the wrong, and that HE was wasting precious LEO resources on this type of call. He told the store owner in no uncertain terms that it was not only legal,, but he PREFERRED to see people carrying a gun.

Now,, since CCW has passed,, and more people can legally carry a firearm concealed,, many choose to do so and that's great. But if a person chooses to carry openly,, try & remember a few points.
    (1) That person is also a gun owner,, and a supporter of our rights. Should we as gun owners discourage them or smile knowing there's another person who's honest?
    (2) While some may think a open gun makes that person a target for a thug,, that's a possibility. BUT,, it's also known that in general, an open carried gun is often brought into use much quicker than from CCW.
    (3) By open carrying,, it can often allow others to engage into polite conversation with other gun owners. I was once in a Lowe's and had my 1911 on me, openly. An elder lady politely asked me; "Is that a 1911?" to which I replied; "Yes!" Then SHE started a conversation on how much SHE enjoyed HER 1911 & wanted to know what mine was.Many people all around us were a little surprised.
    (4) By having a gun openly carried,, it can also act as a deterrent to a thug who may be thinking about doing wrong while you are around. Seeing that,, the thug may say to himself; "I try & use my knife to rob this place,, that guy might shoot me."
    (5) Back to the thugs who may target a person open carrying. Most thugs are not the deranged types who go into a place with the agenda of shooting up everything. Most are not going to start shooting at an armed person if robbery is their intent.
    (6) A person's job may require a lot of interaction with people in public. And if you have to do work, a gun in a CCW holster may be hard to keep on you while you work. (Think of a carpenter here.) As a carpenter,, you may have a method of open carry,, such as just tucking the handgun in your belt as you travel about, but when you get to a customers house,, you need to remove it. And when you leave,, you want to continue to carry. Hard to keep putting on & taking off a holster for CCW & do your job.

And since the wally world comment was made,, I'll relate an experience I had in one.
    A few years ago,, shortly after a shooting in a wally world that made national news, I was in one,, and had my 1911 tucked into my belt, just near my right hip pocket. I saw a young gentleman enter with a Glock in a completely open holster etc. I just noticed it, & kept on moving. Shortly after,, an elderly lady stopped me, and said; "I don't know if you'd be a person to talk to,, but that man over there has a gun on." I politely stopped, and started a conversation with this nice lady, about how NC is an open carry state, and the many good reasons a person might carry. And about how,, if you see that,, you know that person is an honest person, and was also willing to be one who might save lives if something bad were to start happening. I was wearing my work shirt,, which has my company logo on it,, where I deal in nuisance wildlife. She commented on that & we were also discussing some of that,,, to which I explained how a game warden had gotten me into the business. Just a few moments after I'd said that,, that very same game warden, (now retired,) walked up. I chuckled & commented on how he was the warden. We spoke for a few moments,, and he then asked; "What are you carrying today?" I replied and the lady suddenly proclaimed; "Oh my gosh,, I didn't even know you had a gun on!" To which,, we also continued our polite conversation about open or concealed carry.
    That lady thanked me profusely for the education AND how nice & polite I had been.

Often,, by open carrying,, you can do more good than you know.

Do I always open carry?
    No.
    Do I always CCW?
    No.

But do I respect the fact that others have their opinions & choices?
    Yes.
    And lastly,, I'm extremely GLAD we do have more rights & choices than we used to have! I'll not discourage anybody from exercising their FREEDOM!
    We gun owners need to stick together,, & NOT divide ourselves. Or,, we'll all lose.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    You can open carry here in AZ and it's not unusual to see it once isn a while. I have no issue with it if someone wants to OC - that's their business. We had a neighbor here in AZ (she has moved) who used to get all upset when she saw someone OC in the local grocery store, etc. It wasn't hard to see what side of the political fence she stood on. She would always bring it up and I would just tell her that it is an individual's right to do it in this state - if she didn't like it, don't look. In more rural areas, I don't think that a lot of folks even give it a thought. Here in , I have known a number of individuals, men and women, who live and work on ranches and they open carry all the time as it goes with the territory - they have livestock and have to deal with a number of things - critters like bobcats, snakes, coyotes (2 and 4 legged kind), etc. and a handgun is a tool they utilize in their work when needed - and when they go to town it goes with them. But, they don't do it to draw attention to themselves.

Personally, I don't like to "advertise". I carry on the belt with a shirt tail or jacket over it but if someone should see it . . . so what? In Michigan, I open carried on the farm all the time as there were plenty of critters to go after but that was different. Any other time, I carry concealed. I don't look for trouble and I hope the I never have to use my firearm, but if I do, I would much prefer the presence of my handgun be a "surprise" to the perp than to have them know about it.

This is strictly my opinion and it doesn't pertain to everyone who open carries . . . but . . . I have now those who seem to somehow get a "rush" by the fact that they can OC and get looks from others. Again, it is their right if the law allows it . . . . but usually they are the ones who think they can handle any situation . . . "well this is what I would do" . . . types . . . .and if anyone has ever taken CPL, CCW training classes, there are always a few bravado ones in every class it seems. The types who think they have to impress everyone for some reason. And sometimes, it seems like some have the concept that a "bigger gun makes me a bigger man". But . . . if the law allows open carry . . . I still go by the measure that it is their right to do so.
    Worth repeating Wise Words. Above. Only caveat is you need open carry allowance to protect us from crazy laws that forbid your even exposing a legal sidearm while concealed carry.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Open carry creates a target on that person’s back. Shortly after Texas allowed it, a guy walked into a Dallas Walmart bathroom with a pistol on his belt. Another person noticed, grabbed a tire iron off the shelf and followed him. One crack on the back of the his head at the urinal and the bad guy had a new gun to stick down his pants. The victim didn’t die but suffered a concussion - and he lost his expensive 1911. Best to keep it concealed and make it a nasty surprise if necessary.
    I think this is the best reply to the issue, in MO we can open carry but I only carry concealed.

Boolit Master

I did not see any suggestions that OC should be forbidden, just guys stating their preferences and why.

Open carry or concealed carry should be users choice. What troubles me is ignorance. I think there should be a minimum level of proficiency and education similar to a driver’s license.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    In this area, seeing a man or woman wearing a handgun barely gets a second glance, aside from wondering what kind they are packing.
    On the other hand, I heard recently that 80% of the citizens in this county have concealed permits.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

The only way to desensitize people about guns and to learn to accept that is a Constitutional right is let them be seen. As far as the argument about the bad guy going after the open carry guy, predators don't go after the biggest and strongest, they always go after the most vulnerable. If you don't want "Karen" calling the cops, just carry concealed. Some of us call this freedom to make a choice, instead of letting some one else decide for you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemikeinct View Post
    Worth repeating Wise Words. Above. Only caveat is you need open carry allowance to protect us from crazy laws that forbid your even exposing a legal sidearm while concealed carry.
    ^^^ This ^^^
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    In my little town,it's not unusual at all to see someone carrying open. I would not want to be the one that grabbed an open carry gun from someone as he would probably get greeted by a bunch of ccw weapons pointed his way.
    I'm a county north of Waksupi and I don't know the number of folks in my county that have CC permits but they don't need them. I think it would surprise many of the people in the blue states how many of the people in the red states are carrying concealed. I rarely carry open unless hunting/hiking/fishing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast