Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5" Pencil barrel Mo. # 10 at Gun Show today?

5" Pencil barrel Mo. # 10 at Gun Show today?

One of the tables had the above on the table. Very faint turn line, but several bad spots in the finish. Locked up tight! I think it would have be a 'GREAT SHOOTER' for $400. Am I high?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    One of the tables had the above on the table. Very faint turn line, but several bad spots in the finish. Locked up tight! I think it would have be a 'GREAT SHOOTER' for $400. Am I high?
    No but he might be

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have a Utica,NYPD M10 like that from the 70’s. Been carried a lot but not shot much.

If the bad spots aren't pitted it's worth that in today's market. Nothing wrong with a shooter grade M&P. I have one myself.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

They have gone up in price lately.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    They have gone up in price lately.

Hence why I mentioned the seller might be, cheapest I've seen locally was over 700 for a rough one

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

And a 5" barrel....I'd get it while the getting is good.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't pay $400.00 for a LOCKED UP gun with known surface damage. Especially if I didn't know what locked the gun up.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I thought the op meant that the cylinder did not have any play when the gun was cocked.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I thought the op meant that the cylinder did not have any play when the gun was cocked.

You could be right. I may have misunderstood. In which case if bore is in good shape, I MIGHT go for it.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

The mo#10 locks up tight, when the hammer is cocked. I couldn't find any mechanical issues, only finish problems. hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have a 5" M & P - of course pre 10 - mine was made in 1952 from what I have been able to find out on it. It is a great shooter - I love the 5" barrel - it hits where you point it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I have a 5" M & P - of course pre 10 - mine was made in 1952 from what I have been able to find out on it. It is a great shooter - I love the 5" barrel - it hits where you point it!
    Mine too...C prefix...1950 or early '51

Moderator Emeritus

Really rare to see one in decent shape for under $600 around here. The 5" bbl is a good shooter.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

5" Model 10 as you describe. 400.00? I had one long ago and its still one of the guns I lamented ever selling. Soda Straw barrel and all, it was the best trigger pull I have ever felt. Natural pointer. Best hip shooter I ever managed. I would have grabbed it.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

I paid $200 for a 2" flat latch 36 with some noticeable surface storage corrosion. The gun was virtually new but badly stored. I have shot the daylights out of it over the years and haven't even had it redone. I put some Pachmayr Grippers on it and carry it a lot. It is a terrific snubbie shooter.
    I might have it ceracoated or parkerized some day.
    Personally i think $400 is too much for a damaged gun. But it is your money.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

You can always make more money, but S&W isn't going to make any more 5" pencil barrel no-lock M&Ps.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Buy it! I have paid more than market price many times for a gun I wanted. Today, I still have the gun and the value far exceeds what I paid for it. Todays high price is tomorrows bargain price.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    You can always make more money, but S&W isn't going to make any more 5" pencil barrel no-lock M&Ps.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Buy it! I have paid more than market price many times for a gun I wanted. Today, I still have the gun and the value far exceeds what I paid for it. Todays high price is tomorrows bargain price.
    Double Yupper

I did screw up!! I thought my brother would buy it? I should have come back the next day, my Grandson would have enjoyed having it! Tom