MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum

Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum

I'm getting desperate for one of these. Appreciate any help you can offer in finding one for me. I want one of the newer ones, with cut checkering and Ballard rifling. Not looking for a Cowboy gun.

Boolit Master

A dealer should be able to find you one. Marlin makes them in spurts so it's amatter of catching one in stock.

Good choice. I've had one for a while and have really run the hot .38 Specials through it. One broken firing pin in over 20K rounds.

Don't even think of looking for one used. Doubt you'll find one./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Not that simple. My dealer cannot find one, they are almost non-existent on the auction sites and if one comes up, it sells for $100 over retail. Marlin needs to make a lot more of them, but they'd rather make the more expensive Cowboy models.

Boolit Master

Lots of luck

I saw my first 357 MARLIN for sale in a long time last week...a 24 inch Cowboy that had been sent back to the factory because of a defective barrel, according to the counter man at the shop; uncheckered stock..... FOR $675!!!! I'll go past just to see if it is still in the rack sometime this week.

Come to think of it, you don't see many 44s in the used rack either.

I Paid $705 for my 24" CB. They are hard to find. I'd snatch it up.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    It is one fine carbine as I've had mine since the early 80's. it prefers bullets up to 160 grains in weight ,heavier bullets aren't all that accurate in mine as I've used the Lyman 170 grain Keith & their 195 RB CB, with poor results. However it does work well with lighter bullets. Also, .38 Special ammo works very well with it. A great plinker that is quite pleasant to shoot. Quite amazing to shoot at 6" & 12" gongs at 100 yards and more using .38 Special handloaded ammo..it seemingly never misses!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    You and everybody else!

If I had not just bought a 30/30 MARLIN and was sending it back to the factory to be made into a 30/30 Cowboy rifle, I'd have a 357 Cowboy rifle with a checkered stock and a second one with a smooth stock. I had a 1894C and gave it to my step daughter as a gift AFTER I got the 357 Cowboy. The 24 inch Cowboy (in 357 or 44) is a jewel....Discontinuing that barrel length is right up with RUGER dropping Original Size VAQUEROS.

PS If you don't get one of the 357s, you won't have to buy Buffalo Barbie a new set of 357 VAQUEROS!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I bought mine in 84. It has the 18in bbl and plain stock. It's a sweet handling little gun and will hold 9 357 0r 10 38's. It handles the 38 158 rnfp like a dream. The 18in bbl makes it easy and light to carry. Wish I would have know how much people would want them. Back then a used one with dings and such was selling for 150-175.

Boolit Master

I also purchased mine in 1984 (same year--same model--I never realized that until now!) and the total price, with tax, was $185.94...It shoots strickly cast boolits now and the 358429 is the best performer. It is 'scoped and will shoot 2" groups, and sometimes less, at 100 yards. Sure glad I purchased mine...BCB

Boolit Master
    I bought a 20 onch carbine at Big 5 no checkrering and hard wood not walnut but at $350 it works well. I think they are up to around %400 now. I modified the mag tube (actually all I did was file a round groove in the front band screw and the rifle now holds 10 rounds in the mag.

Boolit Master
    For the kind of money the 357 Marlins are bringing you guys might want to look at the NHR 357s. I bought a 45lc used and have had great luck with it even though it is heavier than the Marlin. Scoping might be a problem though.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master

I have one in a 357 that I will not part with, and I know where there is one in a 44 mag that I have been looking at but the guy wants 400 for it, and I don't want to spend that much. I will go and check here in a week or two and see if he still has it, then I will offer him 300 for it. Good luck in your search, they are really hard to find.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

What really hurts is that less than 6 months ago I had one, new in the box, had reclined in my safe for 5 years or more, and I had never used it! In a flash of what could only be called insanity, I sold it for $400 'cause that's what I remember paying for it, figured I could always buy another one easily. Ha Ha.

Boolit Master
    Too bad that you sold yours. This is one nice carbine as it shoots .38 Specials very accuartely. I had many a nice afternoon plinking with mine shooting at a variety of steel cans and steel plates. One enjoyable scenario was to shoot at a plate and to move back ten yards and to fire again. I was amazed as to how far I could move back & still hit it offhand. The only limitation seemed to be my eyesight! I load mine single shot so I don't scuff up the ammo (I reload) and the ammo lasts much longer that way.

Boolit Master
    Got mine in '80 ......

I would like to add one in .44 mag as well.

Handy ..... very handy!!

Three 44s

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Wally, your missing out on the fun of that lever. Load that thing with some 158 rnfp and the rifleman will be with you!!

I ran across one in a pawn shop and while back. It was a beater though so I passed. I sure wish Marlin would make these in stainless to match my other models.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Buddy
    THere's one on the shelf in my local gun shop now. Had been hunting for one for a long time and finally got it. Now this one shows and sits there, no takers. I don't know what they want for it though.
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

If it's one of the newer ones with cut checkering, and the price isn't too awful, I'm interested. PM me the price if you find out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast