Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 1885 High Wall question

Boolit Man

1885 High Wall question

I have a Browning made High Wall that was 38-55 caliber. Previous owner ruined the bore by not cleaning it after using BP. I sent the barrel to JES and it will be a 45-70 soon. Question is regarding the extractor...do I need a 45-70 specific extractor, can this one be "modified" to work or are they the same. Thanks in advance for any info, it is greatly appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by msinc View Post
    I have a Browning made High Wall that was 38-55 caliber. Previous owner ruined the bore by not cleaning it after using BP. I sent the barrel to JES and it will be a 45-70 soon. Question is regarding the extractor...do I need a 45-70 specific extractor, can this one be "modified" to work or are they the same. Thanks in advance for any info, it is greatly appreciated!!!
    You should have sent the barreled action to JES and they could have fitted the extractor also. A .38-55 extractor can be recut to work with the new .45-70 rim.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    You should have sent the barreled action to JES and they could have fitted the extractor also. A .38-55 extractor can be recut to work with the new .45-70 rim.
    Thank you sir....that is what I needed to know!!!!

Boolit Man
    Well, I guess it's time I do a follow up on this post...sent the barrel off to Jesse at JES Boring Service. Got it back and the bore is perfect. Excellent work, first rate service and a very nice gentlemen to deal with. The extractor of the previous caliber {38-55} is so similar to the rebore 45-70 that it needed only very minimal "adjusting". Which is to say I ground about .005"-.010" off of the top. Just enough to allow the round to chamber and the action to close. Super easy and straight forward. The barrel is very accurate and I have zero issues. It does not copper foul at all. Anyone considering a rebore should send their barrel to Jesse with complete confidence. The Moruko 1885 is a blackhearted son of a motherless ***** to put back together, but after making two slave pins she finally gave in and shoots like a dream now!!! Thanks to Jesse Ocumpaugh at JES for a successful project!!

Boolit Master
    I've had him do a lever to 38-55 and FBW single shot to 32-20. Both are fine. I have a Stevens that I may send him if I can decide what to change it to.

Boolit Master

He's doing a Uberti 1885 replica from a 30-30 to a 38-55. Should be back next week; I'm very anxious.

Boolit Grand Master
    This is probably a dumb question, but is there a link one of you previous customers can provide? I have an original Ballard barrel that could benefit from a rebore. I was thinking of Bobby Hoyt, but JES might be a

Froggie

NEVER MIND, I found it!
    Last edited by Green Frog; 04-16-2022 at 03:25 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

JES is about 90 minutes drive from my home and I haven't had to use his services yet, but several friends have and all had nothing but good things to say about the experience. He does excellent work, quick turn around, and fair pricing.