RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W Performance Center - Fail

In Mr. Funk's situation i think I would look for a pinned and recessed 19 or a 586 from the last century.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Buying a new wheel gun sight unseen these days is surely a gamble. Particularly so when you are an avid cast shooter. Thimgs like a rough forcing cone and thread choke are deal breakers for us. I have gotten two new Smiths recently, a model 60 pro and a 587 plus deluxe. Fortunately they both are fine pieces. I did have two new Rugers that had issues. I have also bought some used revolvers on GB that turned out well.

Sorry to hear about your troubles HR.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

Very good video. I guess I'm an odd ball when it comes to buying guns. I always carry a small LED light, magnifying glass, calipers and a bore scope with me to any gun swap, show, store or if I'm purchasing from another individual. They get aggravated with me because I inspect the gun for a straight 20-30 minutes. I love S&W but I don't assume quality will match my former revolvers. This should really be an "eye opener" for S&W to find their roots again and stop putting their name in jeopardy.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    A 629 I ordered came in to the gunshop with no rifling.
    seriously?
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master
    A Ruger MKI bull barrel 22lr I bought back in 1974 didn't have any rifling. I knew I was a better shot than what that gun would do. When I cleaned it, I found out why I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside. Wish I would have kept it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    seriously?
    Yes, no rifling. They must have been embarrassed as the next one was perfect unfortunately caDOJ ran my approval past 30 days and I didn’t get the gun. The gunshop is out of business now but it doesn’t make me feel better. Life in The State.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I was surprised to read that S&W used sleeved barrels. Why would a person buy one? Years ago, a co-worker traded a very nice '94 Winchester for one of those cheap German single action 22s. You know the pistols. They had a frame made of who knows what and a sleeved barrel. The first time he shot the pistol the liner was sticking out of the end of the barrel. I am attaching a picture of some double action revolvers I bought many years ago. The model 29-2 I shot twice: I think. The K-Master 22 I shot once as was the case with the Diamond-Back. The Detective I have never fired. I changed the grips on the K-master because these grips are a much better design and feel great. At my advancing age I wonder why I keep these pistols in such pristine condition or keep them at all for that matter. Do you think they will carve it on my gravestone, boy he left us some really nice pistols? I should add that I have several single action pistols that I do shoot whenever I go to the range or the desert.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 04-10-2022 at 03:48 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Sleeved barrels. I just in the last week came to learn that Ruger is using sleeved barrels on some of the Redhawks and some of the GP100's. I guess I just don't get out much.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cupajoe View Post
    Sleeved barrels. I just in the last week came to learn that Ruger is using sleeved barrels on some of the Redhawks and some of the GP100's. I guess I just don't get out much.
    What do you mean, sleeved? I've never seen a Ruger, or S&W with a sleeved barrel.

Are you guys talking about shrouded barrels? That's a whole different thing. I wish ALL revolvers in the future go to shrouded barrels instead of the current crush fit threaded ones. Shrouded barrels are superior in every way I can think of. I'm not aware of any GP100 with a sleeved barrel. Maybe you are thinking of the super GP100, which is really a super redhawk built for competition?

Boolit Master
    My newest S&W is a 629 Mountain Gun. It’s a dash four and I bought it New in late 1998.

It’s not a Performance Center product but it wins the highest accolades possible by me!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger calls them"sleeve and shroud barrels". I knew Dan Wesson used that type of barrel system and more lately S&W had also used it but did not know that Ruger had gone to that setup as well on some models.
    Last edited by cupajoe; 04-12-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    A Ruger MKI bull barrel 22lr I bought back in 1974 didn't have any rifling. I knew I was a better shot than what that gun would do. When I cleaned it, I found out why I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside. Wish I would have kept it.
    Should have saved it for .22 shot shells.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Should have saved it for .22 shot shells.
    You might have run afoul of the BATF with it… a smooth bore pistol of any caliber is in danger of being categorized as an “Any Other Weapon” (read “Short Barrel Shotgun”) with all the complications that can bring about!
    Back in the ‘30s High Standard made a smooth bore pistol, the Model S. Fortunately it now falls in C&R if you can find one of the dozen or so that were made.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cupajoe View Post
    Ruger calls them"sleeve and shroud barrels". I knew Dan Wesson used that type of barrel system and more lately S&W had also used it but did not know that Ruger had gone to that setup as well on some models.

The Dan Wesson revolvers with user swappable barrels via a barrel nut type wrench were quite accurate. I almost bought a M15 a couple times but prefer a smaller .357 frame.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    The Dan Wesson revolvers with user swappable barrels via a barrel nut type wrench were quite accurate. I almost bought a M15 a couple times but prefer a smaller .357 frame.
    DWs weigh a ton but are wicked-accurate.