Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Performance Center - Fail

Boolit Buddy

S&W Performance Center - Fail

For any of you who might be interested.

Howard

Sorry to hear about your poor experience with S&W. I also love and use the older revolvers a lot.
    A few years ago, I purchased a Model 929. This is their 8 shot 9mm revolver from the performance center. More money that I have ever spent on a revolver before or since.
    I had good experiences with mine. I am not certain I would have noticed the damage yours has.

Something to remember. S&W is no longer the same quality conscious company they were years ago. There are lots reports of damaged revolvers getting out of their factory.
    Particularly with Performance Center firearms, you would think an extra level of care would be used to make sure nothing like this ever happens.
    The extra you pay for this supposed level of quality should ensure a top quality firearm.
    I will be following this thread to see how things work out.

Boolit Master
    No surprise there unfortunately

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master
    I certainly understand your complaint and I am sorry to hear of yet another bad Gun leaving the S&W factory.

My last new S&W revolver--and I do mean last--was a S&W Model 69 4.125" that had the roughest barrel I have ever seen. It leaded like nobody's business. I sent a letter to S&W and got no response, so I looked at getting it workable. The cylinder throats were under sized, so I had Doug Guy Fix them, but it still was leading badly. I tried fire lapping, which helped slightly, but eventually, I gave up. I sold the gun to a fellow after telling him it was "Jacketed only" unless he liked scrubbing lead.

These days it has been replaced by a Ruger 3" GP 100 44 Spl.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    You really roll the dice with buying new these days. Actually it's been like that for a while it seems. I lucked out a few months ago on my newest purchase. I bought a new 629 with 6 inch barrel. The throats were .428 but that was easy enough to get corrected. Mine shoots fantastic.

Boolit Grand Master

If your issues were just cosmetic, and you already got in touch with customer service, things will probably turn out good. You are already doing better than I did with my brand new model 57. People can complain all they want about Ruger, but I've never seen a Ruger in as horrendous condition as some of the S&W's members have been posting in the last 5 years. Word of caution. If you are speaking with a Paul Remore, he will not help. I paid shipping 3 times, each with specific instructions for #1 run a patch through the barrel (so they could feel where the rifling was missing) and #2 send a target back with the gun to proove it was fixed. After 3 trips on my dime, He failed to do anything except send a dirty revolver back with a barrel FILLED end to end with lead, and a note saying the accuracy was fine.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Proves the addage that an old gun which works is worth more than a new one which doesn't. I'll stick to my 1965 Colt Trooper, 1964 Colt Official Police and 1966 Detective Special. And I got a couple Rugers from the mid-1980s.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Outpost75 is right.
    I'll stick with My 1950's Colt, 1960's S&W's and 1970-80's Ruger's. And a 1980's M624.
    They have NO issues.
    I sure hope S&W fixes your new M19.
    Last edited by Walks; 03-02-2022 at 05:34 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I often thought about getting a new wheelgun, but I'm quite happy with my
    Ruger Security Six in 357 which I bought new in the 80's. If I did get new, it would be a GP 100 in 357.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    Best of luck getting it all fixed up.

FWIW I believe the Performance Center name is basically a marketing tactic at this point. The PC guns generally have different/better features than the normal lineup. It doesn't really indicate any extra work went into the gun, or even have more experienced people putting them together as indicated by the barrel being gouged on a new revolver...

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Proves the addage that an old gun which works is worth more than a new one which doesn't. I'll stick to my 1965 Colt Trooper, 1964 Colt Official Police and 1966 Detective Special. And I got a couple Rugers from the mid-1980s.
    I haven't bought a new gun for so long I can't even remember. I'll shoot the daylights out of and stick with my 1960 Model 28, 1956 pre 29, 1950 44HE, 1930's 32-20 HE, 1946 Hi Standard Model HDM, 1933 H&R Sportsman, and a bunch of pre 1960 Colts. They are collectibles but I shoot them regularly.
    Today's guns are junk when you compare the quality and workmanship of the 60"s and before.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

That’s horrible to hear guys. All of my Smiths are older and are finest kind, they even compare to my Rugers ( just funnin ya now…). I *had* been toying with a performance center Smith but I think I’ll hold on to this thread and see how things go…..

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Who would rather pay extra for a better gun from S&W? Just curious.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Who would rather pay extra for a better gun from S&W? Just curious.
    Depends on what you mean by "better". I don't care one bit how nice the bluing is, how perfect the lines match up, how pretty the grips are. What I would pay more for is a perfect barrel, line bored cylinder, and smaller B/C gap.

My S&W 625 PC shoots great, no leading at all, I shoot it in IDPA matches. I just got a 2 3/4" M69 last year and it shoots well with jacketed and cast. I just haven't had too much time to narrow down a best load. You never know what will turn up in a S&W box these days.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

What a crying shame. I guess compared to all of the crap that is being made now days it is to be expected.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't that the truth? The craftsmen and artisans of yesteryear must be turning over in their graves.

Howard

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    For any of you who might be interested.

Howard

First: Wonderful video-- Thanks for posting! Second: I bought a brand-new Plain-Jane Model 41 Smith back in 1976. Albeit I sent it to Clark Custom guns for a trigger job and one of their awesome barrels, this was not "needed" -- just my (deluded?) thinking my Bullseye target scores would get higher . Advance 45 years, and a not-too LGS got in a Performance Center 41. Although it's been a lonnng while since I shot competitively, I wallowed a bit whether it should become mine -- and -- bought it!
    My question, first time I took it to range, was shouldn't they change their moniker to LOWER-Performance Center? While cosmetically I did not have any of the scars showing on your revolver, after trying at least one-half dozen brands of ammo, I still could not get one single magazine to function without a ftf. I took it to a local gunsmith, and he advised, "send it back" as -- something I hadn't noticed -- the barrel was not cut in its centre! OK -- I, too, rang S&W; sent it back; and about a month later got same pistol back with same magazines but -- only thing I noticed -- a new barrel.
    At range, same ftf! "Life's too short" so I sent this (still) brand new pistol to Clark, and they did some magic on it to get it working. When I go to range nowadays, with both 41's -- the one I bought in '76 is the one I mostly (99%) shoot!
    I do hope your experiences vis the "repair" for your revolver is better than mine with the P C 41!
    geo

Last Smith I bought was a reimported model 10 pencil barrel. No issues.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast