Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 40-70 Sharps Straight

Boolit Master

40-70 Sharps Straight

My shooting buddy got his Remington Hepburn in 40-70 Straight !

I've already had him order RCBS 40-70 SS Legacy dies along with 100 pieces of Hornady 405 WCF brass to trim down for the 40-70 and of course an appropriate shell holder for the 405 WCF case !

Now what I need to know is what you guys that use the Hornady 405 WCF brass trim it to and if you are finding you need to ream the insides of the cases because of shell wall thickness !

Any answers are greatly appreciatted !

I already have the 405 WCF brass to trim down , so that will be the only brass option in case someone prefers something else .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Okay I just found some info in Venturino's Buffalo Rifle book that tells me to trim to 2.50" !

Reckon I can figure out after I trim one and seat a bullet whether it will chamber or not !

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Might not hurt to do a chamber cast before you start grinding and hacking away at $1 each cases.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    The 40-70 straight is a great cartridge and I am sure your friend will like it if the barrel is any good.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    My shooting buddy got his Remington Hepburn in 40-70 Straight !

I've already had him order RCBS 40-70 SS Legacy dies along with 100 pieces of Hornady 405 WCF brass to trim down for the 40-70 and of course an appropriate shell holder for the 405 WCF case !

Now what I need to know is what you guys that use the Hornady 405 WCF brass trim it to and if you are finding you need to ream the insides of the cases because of shell wall thickness !

Any answers are greatly appreciatted !

I already have the 405 WCF brass to trim down , so that will be the only brass option in case someone prefers something else .
    Dependent on the reamer used, you may have some issues with brass. In the recent past the 40-70SS chamber was done to some different dimensions depending on who built the rifle. If you look at the Buffalo Arms catalog you will see brass available for different rifle mahufacturers. I may be wrong here, but I believe Hornady started making brass a few years back to a standard reamer dimension. As stated before, I'd get a chamber cast, or ask the gunsmith/manufacturer what brass to use. And yes, the cartridge is a good one. Once you get a load worked up for it you'll love it!

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Master
    Well I went over today and worked on getting this rifle ready to load !

I got the cases trimmed to what would chamber in the gun at 2.525" and also got the seating depth worked out for the Lyman 410655 !

I was fortunate in that I didn't need to ream them even with the bullets sized at .409" !

Only thing I noticed was that after I trimmed to length the first tiem and then sized I would need to go back a trim about 2/100's off again so they would chamber ! Evidently when I would run them thru the sizing die it would stretch them about 2/100's .

Anyway all we need to do now is cast some more bullets , size lube and load them up and see if the thing goes BANG

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    6pt-sika,
    Did you get my PM Sir?
    Jeff
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

Boolit Master

Keep us posted as to the results please. I am looking at ordering a rifle in this caliber / cartridge.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    6pt-sika,
    Did you get my PM Sir?
    Jeff
    Yes thank you !

Boolit Master
    Here's some pics I took today of my buddies Hepburn while we were at his house working with it a little !

Boolit Master
    We cast some bullets for the old rifle today with 1/20 !

Cast the Lyman 410655 and the RCBS 40-350CSA . Sized them at .410" and lubed with SPG !

Took the old rifle out behind my friends house to try it at 25 yards for a start !

Shot the Lyman with 52.5 grains of Goex Cartridge , with a Beeswax cookie and a Federal 215 primer .

Shot the RCBS with 55.6 grains of Goex Cartridge , the Beeswax cookie and a Federal 215 primer !

We got nice three shot clusters of about 1-1.5" . Certainly they could be better , but then again for the first try the "could" be way way worse

Boolit Master
    I love to see them being used and not sitting in a case.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a fine start to me. What did the boolits weigh? Beautiful rifle BTW

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Is that an originl? What is the twist on it?

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    SS ,
    the bullets were cast from 1/20 and from the mold the Lyman bullet was about 420 and the RCBS was about 365 .

Boz,
    I'm pretty sure the rifle has had the action and buttplate re color case hardened .And MM93 tells me the checkering is different from any he's ever seen on a Hepburn .