Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ross Seyfried M.I.A.....?

Boolit Buddy
    Chargar,

Whelen certainly was/is and iconic figure in the firearms realm, one of my favorites from days of yore was Julian S. Hatcher. Hatcher's notebook in my opinion (not worth much, but mine none the less) is THE definitive work on just about any subject a gun enthusiest and studend could ever desire, he even conducted tests on return flight time of bullets shot straight into the air with some very surprising results. His brother was extremely gifted as well but did not attain the same standing.

I always wondered about Nonte, anyone have a dfinitive answer as to how hemet his demise? If indeed he died in a fire that is a horrible fate.

Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    Nonte died of a sudden heart attack in 1978.

Boolit Buddy
    The type of articles a gun magazine prints is directed by its owners and not by editors or writers. When a magazine says it only wants to stroke advertisers the writer has two choices. He can go along with it, which many of them do because they (1) don't care or (2) got no place else to go.

The second choice is to quit, which I did from GUNS & AMMO in 1993 and jumped to SHOOTING TIMES. Then when SHOOTING TIMES got bought out my New Yorkers I jumped again in 2004 when I found a soft place to land.

The gun magazine business is a product oriented field so there is much writing about products. It can't be avoided. What is bad is when a magazine becomes a "*****" to certain companies or writers become the same to certain companies.

Personally there are certain types of guns I like and I'm happy to write up one of their new products. There are others I avoid totally. And there are some that can go either way. I've received test guns in the past that I just sent back to the manufacturer with a note that says "It won't work."

Some readers I've met at gun shows say, "Why haven't you written up so & so's new "such & such." I tell them "If I haven't written up a product that seems natural for me then it is for one of two reasons (1) I haven't heard about it yet or (2) it was such junk I won't have my name associated with it. And its not just small companies that send out junk. I've sent guns back to Colt and Ruger too.

And that's another lesson in the real world of the gun magazine business.
    MLV

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Mike for an enjoyable read. I look forward to more education. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TexRebel View Post
    Speaking of good old George Nonte, his handloading for hand guners is still the best book I have ever found for the begining reloader, I wish I could find another copy as mine is getting dog eared from all the folks I have lent it to
    I thought his little book "Basic Handloading" was one of the best and most practical book on the subject. Covered everything you might want to do. I have two copies...one for personal use and one to loan out. (Infrequently though, since it's out of print.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Or Skeeter or Elmer or Ken Waters or Al Miller or Bob Milek or George Nonte or ......
    You showing your age ...
    I miss Skeeter and Elmer and Ken and the rest also ... here's to all of them !

first round's on me!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Venturino View Post
    Nonte died of a sudden heart attack in 1978.
    I found that George died when he was just 51 years old https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Nonte . So young!

BTW, Mike, thank you very much for all your wonderful, straightforward articles. You educated so many of us.
    Last edited by Onty; 10-28-2022 at 02:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I would like remain younger members here that, as far as I know, Ross was the first one to write about "big" 45 Colt, created by John Linebaugh. Also, Ross was a driving force behind .500 Linebaugh, and later .475 Linebaugh.

One little story related to Ross. When I was reloading .455 Webley, I got frustrated with existing deburring tools, they are just 5/8" dia. I looked for a larger one, couldn't find it. So I made new 3/4" dia, using O1 tool steel. Ross was among first to get sample. Hope it still works fine.

I loved G and A in the 80’s/90’s too. Ross Seyfried, Jack O, Col. Cooper, Finn Aagard, Sheriff Jim Wilson, Townsend Whelan, Skeeter, Elmer and my favorite’s, Bob Milek and Mike V.

I left G and A when Mike V. did and have been at ST since. It keeps getting smaller and smaller with nothing but ads and Yes Boys. I still read it to see what jokes/fake news Layne is gonna print. There is really no one over there now I like. Mike V, what would you suggest for a ST replacement, sir?

Just want to point out, fellas, that this thread is 13 years old. I haven't seen Mike Venturino post here for almost that long.

DG

Boolit Buddy

Cool

… BTW, Mike, thank you very much for all your wonderful, straightforward articles. You educated so many of us.…

Guys, this is a 13-year-old zombie thread. Venturino hasn’t been back to the forum in over eight years, he won’t see your attaboy.

I quit writing for Handloader and Rifle when they went to being general publications instead of subscription magazines. They had to improve revenue I guess, but it just wasn’t the same “family feeling” as before, even though Dave S. was there before and after the change in focus. Eventually I wasn’t a big enough name to get manuscript priority, so once I began having to wait 12-18 months for a manuscript to see print I decided to leave. I still really enjoyed reading the publications though.

Wrote for Precision Shooting for a while, but there was no money in that. Then they went belly up….

Shucks. Just noticed that! Won’t hold my breath.

Galena Guru

I gave up Handloader not long after Gary Sitton passed , didn't Dave take over behind him ?? ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Master

No more double gun journal either.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

I gave up Handloader not long after Gary Sitton passed , didn't Dave take over behind him ?? ..
    I don’t believe that Gary ever headed the Wolfe publications, he was an editor for Peterson’s Hunting though. He passed about six years after he stopped writing for Wolfe. As I recall during my time writing for them, it was Al Miller, Tom Gresham when Al retired, then Al again (don’t ask!) then Dave. I may have forgotten one…