Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pillow ticking

Boolit Master

Pillow ticking

Dang it, This ticking from Wally world fabric department is thicker than the last time I got it.A year ago the blue striped was .015 new batch is .020 and that's after I washed it good and dryed I'm going to start using the light tan colored 100 % muslin cotton.If I need to double it for certain barrels,so be it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Dang it, This ticking from Wally world fabric department is thicker than the last time I got it.A year ago the blue striped was .015 new batch is .020 and that's after I washed it good and dryed I'm going to start using the light tan colored 100 % muslin cotton.If I need to double it for certain barrels,so be it
    Get a sample and if it works go back and buy 5 yds ! Forget a year later ,it can and does change with the next delivery (tomorrow)and get it from Joannes fabric (everyone else does ! Most selection /inventory and end of roll sales !!!!/Ed

Boolit Master
    What are you using that for?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Using it for 50 cal Hawkins and .490 RB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    What are you using that for?

Patch material.

Boolit Master
    What does it measure (compressed ) with your calipers?

Boolit Grand Master

Mattress ticking is thicker. Perhaps it is that.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    .020 is what I'm getting with the blue ticking.Next time I go to fabric store, I'm taking dial calipers with me.

Boolit Master
    Next purchase wash in cold and hang dry.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've had to wash some lots 5-6 times to get all the starch and sizing out. Keep tossing it in the washer every time you do a load.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Apologies for my ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've had to wash some lots 5-6 times to get all the starch and sizing out. Keep tossing it in the washer every time you do a load.
    Will do that wash,rinse and repeat
    Found a piece of red striped ticking going to put in washing machine and see how it works.

Boolit Master
    I have always found pillow ticking and denim far TOO think for my use in my muzzleloaders.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Standard pillow ticking is about .020" as purchased via a mic uncompressed ...I have a fabric mic .....if it is compressed it works out to .015"
    Washing it out is a definite!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    I have always found pillow ticking and denim far TOO think for my use in my muzzleloaders.
    where I shop denium is way thicker than any ticking I ever saw - and yes ticking seems to come in a couple of different weights - drill makes good patches a bit tougher weave than ticking but similar thickness - have used a lot of calico along the way - we had a couple of shallow groove guns worked good on cotton japara but its gone unobtainium --horses for courses all the way here - stairsteps - go up 5 thou ball size drop down 3 thou patch

So I would start a new 50 cal CVA barrel
    on 490 ball and calico - shoot a couple hundred
    change to ticking
    at about 500 go to 495 ball and back to calico for a while
    then step up to ticking

Boolit Master
    yes you have to get the SIZIZNG washed out of the ticking before using / shooting it.

If you can find someone who quilts, ask if you can have some of their unusable scraps. These are usually 100%cotton and have been washed at least one time. If none of them work for you, you will probably have a good amount of cleaning patches. Also check to make sure none have metallic thread.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    My wife bought some new sheets for the bed.
    She was throwing out the old flannel sheets.
    So I grabbed them for cleaning patches , and some muzzleloading ball patches.
    The flannel isn't as strong as the pillow ticking.
    But It should work well on most of my barrels

I've bought plenty of pillow ticking (blue stripe) and it compressed about .015" in my caliper. And a bit later I came across some "mattress ticking" with both blue AND brown stripes. That measured around .018" to .019" heavily compressed with calipers and I liked it much better in most of my guns. I also liked cotton canvas duck which ran about the same as mattress ticking. But for a good number of years I've really had great success with heavy canvas patches (.023" to .024" heavily compressed). Denim is good but I only had a small amount and liked it.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    yes you have to get the SIZIZNG washed out of the ticking before using / shooting it.
    I am curious.............. what is bad about the sizing being in the patch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast