Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Wet method of coating?

Boolit Buddy

Wet method of coating?

Ive been doing some reading about powder coating.
    Can the wet method be used with most brands of powdercoat? Including Smoke's.
    Is there an advantage over dry coating?
    I really dont need another excuse for getting into another facet of this hobby and buying stuff. But most here know how that goes.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by doulos; 02-27-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Boolit Master

I would say no. I don't wet coat anything, assuming you mean HiTec or other type. Since Smokes and other's powder is designed to be applied dry, i think you would open yourself up for a waste of materials or a very poor quality product. Of course I could be wrong. I don't plan to try it.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. I just saw a Hi Tek video and another where this method of mixing with a couple of tsps of acetone was used. I was not sure if it was a common practice.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the wet method for boolits under 35 cal. because dry coating I stand boolits on their end and wet coating they can be baked on a screen on their sides , but I like the finished product of the dry method better .

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Ive been doing some reading about powder coating.
    Can the wet method be used with most brands of powdercoat? Including Smoke's.
    Is there an advantage over dry coating?
    I really dont need another excuse for getting into another facet of this hobby and buying stuff. But most here know how that goes.
    Thanks in advance.
    The "Piglet" method was the first (I think) to use power coating. That involved adding acetone to black Harbor Freight powder then tumbling in the slurry. Since then DT came along and simplified the process (acetone always gives me a splitting headache, and you must create the appropriate amount of slurry or you'll have waste or run short).

BUT, I've often wondered the same thing as you, whether other powders would work via the Piglet method. That is because not all powders out there will stick via the DT process. So, in order to get value out of any powder that doesn't work with DT, I too am curious as to whether a wet application would work. Unfortunately, I recently moved, and as such, tossed out all the equipment/supplies used for anything other than DT, or I'd experiment to find out. Hopefully someone will give it a try and let us know.

If you have acetone and a container that will stand up to acetone without melting, why not give it try and report back?

Boolit Master
    Here's a few wet method vids:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...oating+bullets
    might find the answer in one of those...
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Thanks Kenstone. That answers that question!