Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Coke" Smith and Wesson stocks

"Coke" Smith and Wesson stocks

The feel of S&W Coke bottle stocks is just about perfect for my hand. However, finding a pair is beastly expensive and finding a pair attached to a period correct S&W revolver is ridiculously costly. I have several Smith and Wesson N frame guns that I would like to restock if I could find a stock maker that made "Coke" reproductions for a sane price. I know that Keith Brown made them but his web site says that he has suspended orders. I would like some for K/L frames as well.
    The S&W target stocks are just a bit too large to get my "normal(?) fingers around. Maybe for someone with Bill Jordan hands but not Murf's. Anyone know of an aftermarket Coke maker?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

"Fuzzy" Farrant made exquisite S&W stocks that are similar to "Cokes" but is no longer in business. His stocks do turn up from time to time but are not cheap. Herrett's might fill your needs. They make good stocks.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Culina makes them. I have several pair.

https://www.culinagrips.com/
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Culina is not taking orders now. Have you or anybody else handled/owned and Coke grips by them?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a pair of Culina smooth "Cokes" on a K-Frame. They are well made and look good. Like Keith Brown, he has garnered a following that has resulted in both of them with backlogs.

Eagle Grips has their version of "Cokes" and might be more available than the others. Nill Grips also has some "Coke-style" grips, though a bit pricey. I have no experience with either of those brands other than seeing them for sale.

About 10 years ago I was offered a nice pair of S&W "Cokes" at a gun show for $300. Had the cash in my pocket, but passed. Still kicking myself.
    Last edited by AKtinman; 02-28-2022 at 06:03 PM. Reason: To correct my error of "Null" grips instead of "Nill".

Boolit Master
    Anyone have comparison photos?

I might have some, somewhere.

There was a time, and some of you remember, that almost everyone took them off. They were $5 in the junk bin at any LGS.

And I used to think Goncalo Alves was a famous Mexican chooter!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Culina is not taking orders now. Have you or anybody else handled/owned and Coke grips by them?
    I have two pair of Culina Cokes. Like em just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Combat Masterpiece (640x327) (2).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I'm just curious- do they resemble a Coke bottle from the side or rear view?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have some repros from Altamont, i thing they look fantastic and not absurdly expensive. They feel great and pictures don't do them justice, beautiful wood they are made from!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200313_022400_copy_1600x1200.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	296895
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I have some repros from Altamont, i thing they look fantastic and not absurdly expensive. They feel great and pictures don't do them justice, beautiful wood they are made from!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200313_022400_copy_1600x1200.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	296895
    Do those Altamonts fit the gun well? The fit is the one thing that I heard about Altamonts but I have never personally seen a pair, so I am open to the word of an actual owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'm just curious- do they resemble a Coke bottle from the side or rear view?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Rear view..palm swells on both sides.

Boolit Master
    Do those Altamonts fit the gun well? The fit is the one thing that I heard about Altamonts but I have never personally seen a pair, so I am open to the word of an actual owner.
    These piticular ones fit very nice. They aren't Nill's but I am perfectly satisfied with them on my M29.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Rear view..palm swells on both sides.
    Char-Gar, no pic came through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    These piticular ones fit very nice. They aren't Nill's but I am perfectly satisfied with them on my M29.
    They look like the same profile as Ropers like the ones on this model 24.Attachment 296906 The thing about revolver stocks is that even though you can look all you want to, the prof is in wrapping you paws around them, and Cokes are hard to find to do that, especially originals. When you find originals, it takes a mortgage to buy them!

I have a pair of Altamonts on my 1956 made 5 screw 6" blue pre 29. No case, no tools, and not even original grips.
    This is a shooter, not a collector, and it makes a terrific cast bullet shooter. The quality of the Altamonts is great and so is the fit.
    The only thing I would say is that i wished they were more of an exact copy of the S&W cokes, for the diamond is bigger and the finish is not the matte finish.
    I would not hesitate to get a pair.
    The last pair of original cokes I saw go for $450 on GB.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I have long slim fingers and the only S&W grips of any frame size that feel natural in the hand are N-frame Cokes...

Have been fortunate enough to accumulate four pair in the last 30 years. Also have one set of Nill Retro-Cokes that are pretty close in looks and feel to the originals.

As much as I like the Cokes, the Herrett's Detective stocks (basically a Jordan Trooper with an open backstrap) fit my hand even better especially for Double Action shooting... They aren't cheap either but one can buy four sets of Detectives for the price of one set of Cokes...

Bob

Nill Retro on the 8 3/8"...Cokes on the 6"

Herrett's Detective...

Last edited by RJM52; 03-10-2022 at 09:57 AM.

RJM52, would you say that the Herrett Detective's are a bit smaller in their girth than Cokes?

Boolit Master

I have a couple pairs of Altamont grips. The wood is very nice and the fit is very good.

The Culina grips interest me. I have a couple S&W revolvers that I want to restock. I'll be watching to sew when they start taking orders again.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    I think the rear view is what distinguishes them...

Boolit Master
    I have Altamonts on several guns and they have always been fantastic as far as fit & finish in my examples. The Cokes are my favorite that I have bought from them. As far as feel, they are amazing, transformed my M29 for me. I don't have any originals to compare to unfortunately. I have Miculek grips in a couple too and those are also very comfortable grips, not the most aesthetically pleasingly but they are fantastic to shoot with.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast