Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel muffin tin problem

Boolit Bub

Thanks for all the input.
    I do use a couple of Lyman molds, a NOE mold, and homemade angle iron molds. The tin muffin pan was just used for extra capacity.

Kevin

Yeah, I also use the Lyman molds. Bonus - the 1lb. ingots fit perfectly into .30 cal USGI ammo cans. I can get 65 bars into a can, have 10 cans currently filled and stashed, and enough extras for 2 more cans, just ran out of cans.

Boolit Buddy
    For those who want to buy that special someone a cast iron muffin pan for Saint Swithin's Day I give you this.

Cast Iron Muffin Pan SKU: L5P3
    https://www.lodgecastiron.com/produc...n-pan?sku=L5P3

Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

Boolit Master
    Have been using the one piece aluminum pans for years with no issues. Have seen similar to the Op's post with the type that have the cups pressed into the flat sheet. Have a stack of them, both full size and the mini size. Don't think I ever paid more than $2 and mostly about $1. I am not fussy about ingots and these work good enough for me. Not to mention I am too cheap to but "real" ingot molds.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Barnowl View Post
    I used a sheet steel muffin tin today to cast ingots in and found that the lead would not release from the molds. It was a recycled used muffin tin. Maybe it had some kind of coating that melted and bonded the lead to the mold. I tried heating the mold some over the burner to see if they would loosen up but no luck. Here is a pic of the end result of separating lead from molds. What was the problem?

Kevin

Attachment 296827
    Your problem is you used Steel muffin pans ... you should have used Aluminum ... lead doesnt stick to them . Wilton makes one piece aluminum pans ...Mini-Muffin and Mini-Load .
    Been using them about 40 years ...no stick ! www.wilton.com
    There are one or two other companies that make Aluminum Baking Pans ...but you have to search hard for aluminum pans ...even Wilton tries to hide them every one wants to sell you steel and steel sucks rocks.

The aluminum pans pressed from one piece of aluminum will be idiot proof ... I use them with 100% success and I'm the biggest idiot on the block !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-28-2022 at 02:51 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

They don't solder in or stick. The muffin cups expand more than lead and contract more. You gotta dump them before completely cold. Rust & grunge helps the release but temp is the main problem.
    Whatever!

I bought 3 of these on clearance at Bed Bath and Beyond several years ago and casted over a half ton of ingots with them without any problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twinkie mould.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	296943
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    They don't solder in or stick. The muffin cups expand more than lead and contract more. You gotta dump them before completely cold. Rust & grunge helps the release but temp is the main problem.
    I'm sorry ...temperature isn't the main problem ... the main problem is the materal .
    A aluminum mini muffin pan needs no rust , no fire , no coating and no special temperature and will not stick .
    Just try a one-piece Aluminum mini muffin pan once ... I double dog dare you to try one .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Tried one. Have a nice pile of Lyman iron and aluminum ingot molds due to the experience.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

If looking for cheap tins, go aluminum, not steel. If steel, burning with a torch & allowing them to rust is a good bet, but aluminum should work fine. Iron are probably best. Old cast iron bread stick or corn bread molds are great.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12