RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who shoots cast competition?

Who shoots cast competition?

Anyone shoot cast benchrest, or any other competitions that are won on accuracy? If sho what are you shooting ? How far ? What's the load process ? Alloys molds yadda yadda yadda , and pictures please I'm beyond curious
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-25-2022 at 12:24 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Anyone shoot cast benchrest, or any other competitions that are won on accuracy? If sho what are you shooting ? How far ? What's the load process ? Alloys molds yadda yadda yadda , and pictures please I'm beyond curious
    I shoot lever action silhouette for the past 12 yrs. Although it can be shot with jacketed most shooters use cast boolits. Lots of shooters including myself use the 38-55 cartridge as it thrives on cast boolits. 50,100,150 and 200 meters. For the pistol cartridge lever guns 32-20,357,25-20 are popular . It is great sport and if you try it most of you will love it.

Hi Wolfdog,

I regularly shoot CMP style HiPower Matches using old Military rifles at 200 and 300 yards.

I find that for 30 caliber rifle bullets the Lyman 314299 is hard to beat. It works well in the 30-40 Krag, 7,62x54R and 7,65 Mauser.

My standard load is 21 grains of Shooter's world Buffalo Rifle powder or AA5744.

For 8mm I like the Lyman 165 grain bullet and the Lee Maximum mold for the Gew 1888 rifle.

Cast can do amazing at longer distances.

Best of Luck!

Boolit Master
    Yes I do. I load with basic practices.
    I lean towards harder BHN.
    550 yards with 30 caliber in the picture.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Cast bullets are used in competitions that mandate cast bullets only.

For the rest, cast bullets are at a disadvantage over jacketed swaged.

You won't see cast bullets in F-Class, for example.

Boolit Buddy
    BPCR silhouette. Shooting a CPA Stevens 44 1/2 chambered in 40-65. 200-500 meters distance. Load process is cast 409400 BACO bullets with 20:1 alloy. Pan lube with Emmert's improved lube. Weigh and then drop tube Swiss 2F black powder into case. Load .06 vegetable fibre wad. Run into compression die. Hand seat bullet. Lots of fun although I am not very good at it yet.

Also plan on trying levergun silhouette at least once this coming season.

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting handgun silhouette for the past 20 years using exclusively cast bullets. I wanted to see just how far I could go with cast.
    A few years ago I won the regional Championship in an Unlimited category using cast in an XP100. That entry was decided in a three-way shoot-off. This was from a freestyle position, no sandbags or any other kind of rest. The other two shooters were using factory jacketed, one I know for sure was using Sierra Match-kings. The 10-shot shoot-off involved targets as small as the palm of your hand at 200 yards. I knocked down 8 out of 10 for the win. The next closest shooter managed only 5 if I remember correctly. Cast can be very accurate. I have managed 10 shot groups at 200 yards of about 6" with cast using iron sights. Scoped 100 yard groups on paper targets of about an inch with the XP are not uncommon with cast. To reach that level you have to pay close attention to details, starting with alloy selection and every aspect thereafter until the bullet leaves the barrel.

Lawnsteel! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	targets.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	296749 Closest target 52 yds. Iron sights, reclined. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line 2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	296750 Accurate ammunition is a must. Cast projectiles are used almost exclusively. We play for nickels. Too rich?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lostnickel.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	296752 There are two, six station lines. There are times when available target is less than 1" @ 190'.
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master
    Several clubs in Oklahoma conduct Military Bolt Action Bench Rest matches monthly. In October they meet at one of the clubs for a State Shoot Off, including a traveling trophy and braggin' rights. Great bunch of people that have grown into a family of sorts. We have no sponsors nor sanctioning body, although most, if not all matches are run by certified RSOs and safety is rigidly practiced. We do have a set of published rules. These matches have been ongoing for almost 30 years!

Course of fire is 100 yards on SR-21 targets (and centers); 10 minute sighter followed by two(2) 10-round, 10-minute group targets, then three(3) 10-round, 10-minute score targets.

Match fees are minimal ($5-$10). Awards are for small group (usually $1), high score (usually $1), and high aggregate (usually $5). Clubs make a few bucks to cover target cost and support range operations, and competitors have a darn good time.

Having a good time in good fellowship is what it all about.

Typical equipment includes an 'as issued' military center fire bolt action rifle (03/03A3, Swedish Mauser, K31, Enfield, Nagant, etc.), rest, spotting scope, 'eyes and ears' PPE, timer, and items of that nature. Ammo is personal choice legal for the range. SOME PREFER CAST! I personally have a CMP 03A3 that has somewhere approaching 10K rounds of cast through it and shoots as well now as ever.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Several clubs in Oklahoma conduct Military Bolt Action Bench Rest matches monthly. In October they meet at one of the clubs for a State Shoot Off, including a traveling trophy and braggin' rights. Great bunch of people that have grown into a family of sorts. We have no sponsors nor sanctioning body, although most, if not all matches are run by certified RSOs and safety is rigidly practiced. We do have a set of published rules. These matches have been ongoing for almost 30 years!

Course of fire is 100 yards on SR-21 targets (and centers); 10 minute sighter followed by two(2) 10-round, 10-minute group targets, then three(3) 10-round, 10-minute score targets.

Match fees are minimal ($5-$10). Awards are for small group (usually $1), high score (usually $1), and high aggregate (usually $5). Clubs make a few bucks to cover target cost and support range operations, and competitors have a darn good time.

Typical equipment includes an 'as issued' military center fire bolt action rifle (03/03A3, Swedish Mauser, K31, Enfield, Nagant, etc.), rest, spotting scope, 'eyes and ears' PPE, timer, and items of that nature. Ammo is personal choice legal for the range. SOME PREFER CAST! I personally have a CMP 03A3 that has somewhere approaching 10K rounds of cast through it and shoots as well now as ever.
    Where are these at? Any links?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post

That sounds like fun!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Where are these at? Any links?
    Oil Capital just north of Coweta. Next match is 9 am, Sat, 3/12, unless canceled for weather.

These matches are also conducted at OKC Gun Club and Tri-city Gun Club. Off and on over the years other clubs have participated (Red Castle, Muskogee, Lawton/Fort Sill, maybe a few others).
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    It's been twenty-six years since I shot benchrest at Ypsilanti . Used a Remington 700 "Police" rifle in .308 I think the rifle was a left over from a Marine contract but it shot well . LBT mold , I forget what lube but likely was LBT , hard lead 18 BHN or so . Powder was Reloder seven , Winchester primers .

Scope was a Redfield six to eighteen power normally used the twelve power setting depending on mirage .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Prior to the last couple COVD years I would travel (200+ miles one way) over to Ben Avery Range north of Phoenix 3-4 times a year for some localized CBA matches. I mostly shot in military rifle with scope Using my Finn SAKO built M39 in 7.62x54R. I used a 314299 over 4895 with a dacron filler. I won the Arizona State matches with that rifle 3 years. We shot for score at 100 and 200 yards. Here's a 10 shot 100 yard target from one match.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st 100 png.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	296754

I also shot a couple commercial rifle matches with my M70 target rifle in 308W. They shoot for score at 100 and 200 yards using the CBA score target. I've been wanting to attend another match with the M70 with this 30 XCB bullet loaded over 2400. Targets were at 100 yards with bottom left being the sighter target, then two top target having five shots each. Bottom right target is ten shots. Maybe soon.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220106_164325.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	296755
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m surprised no one has mentioned the American Single Shot Rifle Association (ASSRA). Their rules demand lead alloy bullets, no jackets, no half jackets, no gas checks even!

Their National events are shot at 200 yd ranges, both offhand and from the bench. If you want to win a bench match at Beeson’s Range (home of their National events) you’d better plan on being able to shoot quarter sized groups to win consistently and half dollar sized just to be in the running.

My bench gun is a limited production Peregrine with a Douglas Premium barrel. It was built by the late Charlie Dell.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting in CBA competition for over 30 yearsand find it quite enjoyable. At our club we shoot at 100 yards only. Our couse consists of 4/ea targets of 5 shots each for group.Next is 2/ea targets of 10 shots each, also for group. The last is 4/ea targets of 5 shots with 1 shot at each bull for score..Most of the folks shoot bolt actions in the .308 Winchester cartridge. There's a few oddballs that shoot other cartridges. I choose to shoot a .250 Savage in a bolt action Savage. I also have used a Remington 700 Classic in .250 Savage. I have enjoyed shooting many different bullet designs in that little cartridge. My latest trial has been with the NOE 260-105-FN. A friend sent me 100 to try and I found a load that gave me a .828" 5 shot group at 100 yards, so I had to buy that mould to see if that group was a fluke. I ordered the mould on Monday 2/21/22 and received it 2/24/22. Now, thats what I call service!
    Wish me luck as I plan on using this design at our next match on March 19th.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a hand gun not a hands gun.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    I shoot a 30BR cast bullet pistol with a 36X Leupold.We shoot 100 and 200 yards I Shoot a 180 grain linotype bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    WD,

If you can, get into competitive shooting. It will make you a better shooter. If you cast and reload, it will make you better at those skills as well.

You will also see reality instead of the cherry-picked groups normally shown. The record 10 shot group for cast is .575 for Production Rifle. (BTW the best 4 group average was .706) That is the best group(s) ever recorded in over 20 years of competition. I have learned to ignore most reports when I smell the BS. Like when folks report regular MOA with .22 cal cast...LOL.
    Below is a link you may find interesting.

https://castbulletassoc.org/10%20sho...09-29-2022.pdf

But back to what matters. Shoot competitively if you can afford the time and the cost. You will improve your abilities much faster. Even local competitions are great challenges and fun events. I have been fortunate to be able to attend state, provincial, regional and national matches. The side benefit is you get to meet some great people who are also serious shooters.

Cost is not bad unless your get really serious and reach the level where equipment matters.

JUST DO IT!!! You will not regret it.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast