Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What, if anything are you all buying in light of recent events?

Boolit Buddy
    Stocking up the Pantry with long shelf life items and spices. Other than that a lot of casting, swaging and case prepping (I've got plenty of primers).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I've bought several orders of jacketed .224 bullets for general purpose rifle gong shooting. I'm surprised to see some of the cheaper bulk boxes of cup and core .224 varmint style bullets showing up in stock lately. Anything that gets down around 15 cents each or less I have been buying up typically 1,000 at a time. Got one batch of Speer 55 grainers for 9 cents each! Didn't think that would ever happen again but honestly one reason jacketed bullets have gotten so high is that many shooters insist on having the latest high-tech 1,000 yard lathe turned and hand polished wonder bullet for any shooting they do. Truth is we got along just fine before those bullets came along and the older bullets work as well as ever for most rifle shooting. As for casting, I've pretty much got everything I need. I did get my 1st batch of Gator gas checks in 8mm to stock up on that size GC. After seeing how well they are made I may never buy Hornady GC's again and certainly not Lyman with the prices they sell for now. As some others said, having lived through Clinton's gun bans and Obama's too, I know these ammo shortages are coming as soon as a Democrat gets in the White House and don't leave myself vulnerable to their anti-gun attacks. I had lots of primers by the middle of Trumps term. Was somewhat short in cases for some cartridges I load for but jumped on that as Trump was leaving and now have what is likely a lifetime quantity for everything. On that same subject I decided to get a case annealing set last Spring also partly just because I wanted to try it and also obviously to make cases last longer. I got the Anneal-Rite setup with the entire set of case holding blocks. Figured I might as well get the whole deal and not get beat up with shipping later buying a bock at a time. Haven't used it yet so can't comment on it but it's so simple that I don't see how there could be problems. Have been doing the same with the RCBS Little Dandy powder dropper rotors. I have one last rotor on the way now and once it arrives I should have everyone I'll ever need. For light to moderate handgun loads with cast bullets I have lots of Unique and WW231 and a whole lot of Red Dot so haven't had to buy any powder or primers at these current crazy prices. SP primers are a bit under 6,000 though so will have to shoot more 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 44 Magnum than 38 Special. Since I can recover my lead from the sandboxes bullet weight doesn't matter at all anymore. From what I'm reading in Shooting Industry magazine most people in the gun industry are expecting the short supplies to last through 2022 and possibly 2023.
    If you've never been there, take a look at https://americanreloading.com/en/ . They have some of the best jacketed prices I've found. Mostly pull downs, but they are very nice. If they are pull marked or tarnished they will tell you. I got a bunch of 175 sierra matchkings recently for under $.25 apiece. They're running a 24% off sale now also. They have treated me very well. Good guys.

I stocked up a bit on fly tying supply's, mostly Hooks in the sizes I like and Angelina fiber. (think colored mylar cut very very fine)
    Found a good deal on a fox tail and a coon tail. 10 and 5$ respectively.

House has been ready for this for 20 years.

Recently stacked even more airgun pellets onto an already large stack. Added .177 pellets to my stack. I bought one of those 25$ winchester break barrels and it is breaking in well. Plus I have a Beeman P17 pistol which is a hoot to shoot, and has a really sweet trigger. Makes it a joy to walk down and pop a few rounds off every time I feel like it.

I should probably be buying 150 gallons of gas or more. But Gas does not store as well as it used to. And I think if you try to keep a tank that size or bigger around your house you'll have the local Fire Dept and the city breathing down your neck. And even if the price of gas doubles, with the cost of storage you don't make as much as you think.

I have not figured the banks out. Last time we had inflation like this the banks CD interest rates were floating from 10 to 13%. Which would over the long haul allow you to grow your money. Now its still below half a percent.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    If you've never been there, take a look at https://americanreloading.com/en/ . They have some of the best jacketed prices I've found. Mostly pull downs, but they are very nice. If they are pull marked or tarnished they will tell you. I got a bunch of 175 sierra matchkings recently for under $.25 apiece. They're running a 24% off sale now also. They have treated me very well. Good guys.
    Thanks, that's an interesting site I'd never seen before!

Boolit Master
    I have been using american reloading since I can remember being on the internet. I still have other places that are cheaper for brand new items. But we still use them from time to time.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

if you dont have it by now, you are behind the 8 ball.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Moderator Emeritus

LGS should have some items I have been waiting on for awhile in next few days. Have basically everything I need for reloading and am in the process of doing a full inventory now that I am getting caught up with everything. I have so many projects for around our place that I have years worth to do. We will be expanding garden and planning on a green house this year. Definitely have to improve my water source as I do not want to use my well water. There is a small spring a bit up the mountain on my property. We are good on meat (beef, venison, and chicken). Will probably get some chickens this spring. Like I said, plenty to do.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Not really planning on adding anything .... it's time to be thinking about lawn care stuff does that count ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    maybe an early annual trip to the garden seed supply store. thinking maybe a couple more doberman pups might be a good thing. keep putting up firewood for next winter. been thinking of a few chickens and some bulk seed to plant to keep em fed.
    but if Putin pushes the button it might all be gone in a bright flash.

Boolit Buddy
    I hope people are still buying firearms. I just took two Mosin-Nagants, 1600+rounds of 7.62x54R and some 25 Stevens ammo to auction scheduled for next month. At 71 I'm thinking it's time to trim down some stock. But I hated to part with my Ukrainian refurbished M44.

Same old same old. I try to maintain a pantry. Not with months stockpiled but with enough to supplement and enhance the diet for a couple of months of things being less available. Or for a few weeks if a tornado or ice storm made shopping difficult.

Need to get after home maintenance items. Just because if it ain't painted and should be it tends to rot. Been here long enough that looking at some refinishing of wood. Past time to replace the carpet in the rooms we use the most. Have had my eye on the shingles, especially those facing south or west. Doubt we will outlast another set of shingles, more a matter of timing so we avoid any leaks and still have good roof when kids or we sell the house eventually.

In short I'll not speculate on what may happen. I am so skeptical of news reporting on things such as projecting a food shortage due to the invasion of Ukraine. They grow grain so why is the news story being shot in the produce department of a grocery store? The US exports the same grain. Prices may rise if the farmers sell more abroad. Much of that grain will go toward animal feed so meat prices could get some pressure but really who knows? Buying what I know I'll use in the not too distant future is just saving myself a trip to the store. Allows me to stock up during sales. Prepping for a war in the Ukraine? Not on my radar.

Good on the guy fixing the truck. Truck has value. Using his skill to create "sweat equity" is smart. Either saves him money or used vehicle market for trucks is pretty good right now.

If I found myself getting low on reloading components I would use less and less often. Same as most people I guess. If something is hard to replace then we use it more sparingly.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Just buy to replace things we use. I don't bother to replace any gun related expendables as at 73 I have enough to get me through to the end.

Boolit Master
    A 2 year supply of garden seeds and getting ready to plant twice the number of Ozette potatoes than usual (2x onion sets already in the ground). That may be all moot since we live 9 miles (as crows fly) from the most important nuclear missile ballistic submarine base in the U.S. which will give us a ringside seat for the end of civilization.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 02-25-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Boolit Bub

Not buying really, just learning.

I have limited space to store anything so, I have to be particular regarding what I stock up on.
    I have decided that, because space is at a premium in my house and I have plenty of empty space between my ears, I am in the process of researching some of my more fundamental interests.

Learning to make better bread using a water or water/milk roux, better tasting food is always good.
    Testing lead hardness using drawing pencils is fast & easy also surprisingly accurate.
    Growing all my greens inside my house saves me from buying & eating pesticides.
    I am using food & herbs to replace vitamins & supplements for better health, this is a work in progress.

I am thinking I should go through & sell some of the unused items to clear up some space.

Jaaymar

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    As little as possible. Thought about a newer truck. Not happening. Thought about a few guns, nope. Want a house, but that's not realistic for a while. I got a significant pay raise last year, but how quickly everything unfolded, I have less value than I have in years. I'm sure glad I did what I did, when I did, and prepared the way I did. Shooting is the least of my concerns. I have plenty to do. I'm looking at it this way. I have another truck that needs to be rebuilt, most of the parts, and now I have a reason to do it. I just won't be adding to the gun collection for a while.
    Amen to that- who needs a plastic push button piece of crap for $60000? No thanks.
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Master

I also need to buy some chickens this spring. We did ducks for the past 3 years. Messy buggers. Nature made the choice for us with the use f a very effective fox. Took down the whole flock in 48 hours. Need to place my specialty seed order for this year, as I'm sure everything gardening will be sparse soon. I already have at least 2 years worth of bulk staple seeds, corn, beans, beets, winter squash, ect.

Boolit Master
    I'm buying and making tooling for my hobby machine shop. A chuck backplate so I can use the import 3-jaw chuck from the Smithy 3-in-1 machine my brother bought for me on the Atlas TH42, a sine table, & and a 1x1x6 fine SC stone, a batch of tool holders for the old lantern-style Atlas tool post, and a spare tool post that I may be able to use on the Smithy, and another toolpost that I may be able to adapt to my Lewis shaper... Those are all recent ebay purchases except the bundle of tool holders and such. I'm making a set of V-blocks, and refurbing several machines. Busy times. Should help me stay out of trouble.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I'm going to plant some seeds, too. Military bases near me so I don't worry about nukes (it will be a quick end or it won't happen, no point in worrying). I see very little point in gold and silver. Never in my lifetime would it have been advantageous to own either.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    I should buy more TP.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Didn't really do any. I pre purchased 25,000 gallons of red dye when it was cheap, kinda like primers and powder that everyone is seemingly distraught over - get it while it's hot.
    I'm actually quite confused about folks and their panic purchasing - don't you plan on being alive and living the same life day after tomorrow? If not, apologies and God Bless.
    If so, enjoy complaining about unobtainable things and prices that are now out of your reach.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast