Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmith cost

Boolit Master

Gunsmith cost

Does 25.00 bucks for drilling and tapping one blind hole for scope base on TC Hawkins barrel sound reasonable?

Boolit Man
    Yes

Sure does.

Boolit Master
    Sounds cheap to me.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You would pay a lot more than that in most places.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Realize the smith has rent , tools and other equipment to pay for so that is very reasonable. That is not counting time he spent learning the trade.
    Last edited by Freightman; 02-23-2022 at 03:18 PM.
    Frank G.

Bargen price
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

That's exactly what I paid a gunsmith to do the same job. In 1983.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

I’ll do it for $15. My name is Bubba
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

If you aren't happy with the cost then take it elsewhere or do it yourself.

And good luck.

Banned
    Not that this has to do with the op ...

I for one have gotten tired of people and how cheap they can be , I guess its ok they go to work and get paid a fair wage for their time but then they don't want me to be able to earn a fair wage for my time when they want me to make or repair something for them .

So now when someone quibbles about the price I give them an oppertunity to show me their paycheck and pay me the exact same wage they earn per hour , cost of materials , plus 33% for the overhead and machines or walk back out the door .

Boolit Grand Master

When you figure set up time, center drill tap drill and tap. Then the equipment used and the knowledge to not only do it but do it right, no marred surfaces the hole straight and to correct depth on location. Its very inexpensive. The other consideration is while this is a small quick job if hes a good smith then hes backed up as is his equipment.

Boolit Grand Master

For a single tapped hole $40.00 is the going rate around here. For 4 holes $80.00 to $90.00 is the going rate. Setup of one hole is the same as for four holes.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    If I lived down your way You would get my business
    Hogtamer

Boolit Master
    I thought 25 bucks sounded good.It was a price on Sportsman's Warehouse site.

Boolit Master
    In the last month or two I have drilled and tapped two Arisaka model 99s for scope bases. If they weren't mine I would not do that job at $25 per hole. Those receivers are harder than woodpecker lips.

Boolit Master

I always used a new drill and a new tap for every job with a self imposed limit of four holes per bit and tap. Jigged the work up in my milling machine. It’s time consuming to do a good job. I had to drill four #4 screws out of the frame of a very high end 2011 once. That wasn’t cheap either.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

My standard line is, " If I were you, I would get three quotes." Then tell them to get back with me in six months.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

I find drilling 1 hole of an existing pattern harder than the whole pattern. Reason being you have to match to whats there. the whole pattern you run to the numbers and each hole is where it should be.

Repairing a buggered hole in a pattern I set up and get zeroed then put a screw in a good hole and swing the head in with an indicator getting the zero of the hole to match the new one into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast