Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Barrel change for calibre

Boolit Mold

Barrel change for calibre

What are your thoughts on rifles with different calibre barrels that are interchangable? I have finally put together a stock that i'm happy with and thought it would be easier to change out the barrel and associated parts depending on the activity i'm intending on doing. Have people had much experience with this?
    Further, is a rough zero able to be achieved from known previous zero's (in other words shooting in with one barrel, changing the barrel and shooting that one in and recording the change in sight movement so you can adjust straight back or does it need to be completely redone each time)?

Boolit Master
    Thompson Center has been doing it for decades.
    One action, one stock, and a boatload of different barrels. And, once zeroed,, it stays the same.

Welcome aboard, Bill !

Also check out other makers of interchangeable barrel rifles, like Sako, Blazer, New Dimension, & Merkel.

Here's an article on the plus & minus' of interchangeable barrel rifles: https://www.rifleshootermagazine.co....arrels-8223630
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F9EF7C41-687B-456F-A776-696DE79BE3C9.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	296699
    Welcome to Cast Boolits Bill. There’s always the barbie doll of rifles. My 300blkout upper and a .22 upper that use a Seekins lower. Dual barrel shotguns have been around forever. Double barrel shotgun/rifle combo’s and sg’s with barrel inserts. But shotguns do not need the level of accuracy that a rifle needs. Trouble is by the time you invest all the work and expense in the extra barrel, bolt and most important, a solid takedown system for 2 barrels you could build a duplicate favorite stock and action/barreled in your second choice caliber. Just my .02. Good luck on your build.

Boolit Master
    yeah, ar's are one of the best barrel changers, but it does involve more than a barrel, but once you have put together the uppers of your desire 2 pins and you can change to a whole bunch of different calibers

Boolit Master
    I once stuck a case in a Savage 223. Unable to knock it out I pulled the scope and the barrel and got it out. When I put it all back together it required 2 klicks to rezero at 200 yds
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master
    Other than the various Thompson Center guns where the sighting system stays with the barrel, I'm not all that enamored with the idea.

Welcome aboard,

Robert

I love my Contenders, but am not sure about the advantages of a barrel swap gun. That might change if gun registration laws and licensing fees happen( God forbid !!!)

Boolit Mold
    Thanks alot for the advice, appreciate it

Boolit Master
    The Savage like the 110 are interchangeable.
    I had a .308 and a spare .243 barrel.

Boolit Master

I have a Savage 99 take down with a few barrels. They seem to hit at the same point of aim when changed and returned, but then there are not minute of angle rifles either; more like minute of white tail. That means about 2" at 100yds, sometimes better, sometime not that good. That's with a 30-30, 303 Savage, 32-40, 22 HP Sav. On the 99 there is not much point in switching barrels.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I built a couple of switch barrel rifles, all on a Remington 700 short action platform, all the same profiles on the barrel od’s, it was a novel idea,but, it had its negatives, for sure. Barrel removal tools, recoil lug retainer, writing notes for scope settings, action screw torques, after a bit it became tedious. So, off to the next guy they went. If you only want one stock, trigger group, scope mounted, by all means go for it! You just have to make the decision yourself if you want to do it or not! Good luck in whatever way you decide to go. My opinions only.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

I made up a four barrel set for an 1886 Winchester takedown a few years back. Also did a three barrel set for a Winchester Model 70 takedown.

Boolit Master

What make and model is the rifle?

On a bolt action, for me, it doesn't work out with frequent changes, like going to a range with 3 barrels. It is reasonable to have a varmint cartridge-barrel all year, then put on a big game barrel for the season. But easier to have more rifles.

TC, Encore, NEF for frequent changes is my preference.

Bruce

Boolit Mold
    For me it relates more to cost savings with not having to purchase additional scopes and other accessories that comes with multiple rifles but weighing that up with all the things you've brought up. Thanks for your perspective

Building a switch barrel is much easier today with the Savage system, you can change the barrel with a wrench and a nut, headspace, change the bolt face, with a different bolt head, etc.
    The full up change is done with a scope to go with each barrel, quick release bases. With the barrel set to return to the exact same point in the action, with the same tension, the zero will remain the same, by barrel and load.
    Once you get them built, you discover it is easier to pull a rifle out of the rack. The switch barrels stay at the house. Mine are all rack queens.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers