RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Mp molds

Boolit Buddy

Mp molds

Just received my first mold from MP mold. Five days from Slovenia to Texas!! It looks absolutely beautiful and precision made. Now if it makes good bullets. We will find out tomorrow.

Boolit Master

Congrats. Welcome to the forum flatnose.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Welcome,

you'll like it. Break in, Clean with break cleaner then dawn dish soap and a tooth brush, heat cycle 3 times on a hot plat or oven to 450 degrees and total cool down. Lube the sprue plate and hinge and if you have pins the bars that connect them. This will build patina that will help boolits drop better. Run your alloy hot (750 deg.) the brass moulds have to be run hotter to get good fill out. Enjoy.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Welcome,

you'll like it. Break in, Clean with break cleaner then dawn dish soap and a tooth brush, heat cycle 3 times on a hot plat or oven to 450 degrees and total cool down. Lube the sprue plate and hinge and if you have pins the bars that connect them. This will build patina that will help boolits drop better. Run your alloy hot (750 deg.) the brass moulds have to be run hotter to get good fill out. Enjoy.
    This one is an aluminum mold but thanks for the tips. I have many aluminum molds from different makers but iron is still my favorite. I just hope it casts the correct size, which of course is the most important thing.

I have 1 aluminum MP mould but it is a .457 for my ROA. The balls come out at .458 with pure lead. I'm very happy with it.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It'll make great boolits. Now you'll be addicted to the MP molds too. Welcome to the club!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

It's getting so, I only like to cast with my 'gold' moulds!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flatnose View Post
    …I just hope it casts the correct size, which of course is the most important thing.
    I think that mainly depends on your alloy and casting temp, doesn’t it?

My 9mm MP aluminum molds cast pretty close to slight over nominal using 95-3-2 at 730°-740°, dropping with a very light matte frost.

Boolit Buddy
    I was able to make a few hundred boolits today with the new MP mold. It works actually better than fantastic. I had to cast a little hotter than I usually do but it makes beautiful boolits. All were very round at .360" which is absolutely perfect to size to .359". Lyman better get it together and update their ancient mold technology or they will be left behind if they are not already. Lyman cant touch most other mold makers. Accurate iron molds are pricey but they are truly the best in my opinion. Anyway MP made a great mold and I know I will enjoy it for a long time. Try one you will like it.