Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: hodgdon message

Boolit Buddy

hodgdon message

I got this in an email from hodgdon. I have been storing my powder in an old freezer with a Gun Safe Dehumidifier Rod, to keep the moisture down and attempting to keep a consistent temperature I have to wonder am creating something I don't want. I live in north Texas.

The following information is provided as an introduction on the stability, storage, and safe handling of modern smokeless propellant.

Smokeless Propellant

The main ingredient of smokeless propellant, comprising from about 55% to 90% of the composition, is nitrocellulose. The process of creating nitrocellulose leaves remnant acid in the material. This acid immediately starts decomposing the finished product. Left alone the decomposition will reach the stage where the propellant becomes unstable and self-ignites. This process resulted in massive explosions at U.S. Government arsenals after World War I.

To increase the life of the smokeless propellant, a stabilizing chemical is used. This “stabilizer” reacts with the acid to slow down the decomposition process. However, as the stabilizer reacts with the acid it is consumed. After the stabilizer is totally consumed, the propellant is no longer protected from the internal acid.

The entire stabilizer / decomposition process is a time and temperature function – the higher the temperature, the shorter the safe life of the powder. Even moderate temperature, over extended time, leads to propellant decomposition. As a rule of thumb, any temperature over that which is comfortable to a person is accelerating the decomposition of smokeless propellants.

Under proper storage, modern smokeless powder can last for decades. However, this does not mean the reloader can ignore how the powder is stored, particularly if in an uncontrolled environment such as a garage or storage building.

Boolit Master

A reason to shoot more. I doubt my powder will last me a decade. A year or two, yeah. I do stock up but not enough to last decades.

My powder was stored in my closet and now its stored in the garage with a dehumidifier. Not sure what it feels like in there in he summer

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    Sure is interesting how surplus ammunition still functions after 50+ years
    Don Verna

I would find it hard to believe that powder made in the last 40-50 years would not have sufficient stabilizer in it to consume all of thye residual acid and then some. Not like it's an unknown issue. Failure to control for it would give a powder maker a monumental black eye.

That said, all my powder is stored in the traditional cool place, (the cellar).

Hang a desiccant bag in the storage cabinet if it pleases you, but the NRA has cautioned against putting desiccants inside the powder containers. Drying out the powder speeds up its' burn rate.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I think it's more of a cover the butt. They did recently have an issue with 4007 SSC https://www.shootingsportsretailer.c...-powder-recall

IMR Powder, a subsidiary of Hodgdon Powder Company, announced a product recall and safety warning for its IMR 4007SSC rifle cartridge reloading powder. The company says certain batches of the powder are unstable and can spontaneously combust.

"IMR has received reports that this particular powder in 1lb and 8lb containers may have become unstable due to possible rapid deterioration," the company says. "Use of this product from these lot numbers shown on the enclosed label may result in spontaneous combustion, fire damage or possible serious injury."

The recall refers to six specific lots of the 4007SSC powder. Shooters who have powder from these lots should immediately stop using the product and fill the container with water to render the powder inert.

The lot numbers that are subject to recall include:

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Well, I stand corrected. There's a case where a powder maker dropped the ball.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Drying out the powder makes it weigh less.