Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new tractor!

Boolit Master

Need a new tractor!

I have a Ford 8N built in 1950 that I use to mow, clean the horse stalls, and dig post holes most of the time. I had an ice dam form in one of the water ways last week and flood the shop. The 8N just couldn't move the dam so had a neighbor come over in his JD and break up the dam. I have not started looking yet but wife (CPA) said I could buy a bigger used tractor. I would like something bigger but still old school, no electrics. It must use 3 point hitch as everything I use with the 8N is 3 point. I don't know how new I can buy or size to meet the requirements. I take care of about 20 acres. So open to help on what tractors to look for.

Boolit Master
    John Deere 2020 diesel.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    John Deere 2020 diesel.
    Agree, I had a 2010 gas, loved it except it used about 6 gal per hour

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I have a Ford 8N built in 1950 that I use to mow, clean the horse stalls, and dig post holes most of the time. I had an ice dam form in one of the water ways last week and flood the shop. The 8N just couldn't move the dam so had a neighbor come over in his JD and break up the dam. I have not started looking yet but wife (CPA) said I could buy a bigger used tractor. I would like something bigger but still old school, no electrics. It must use 3 point hitch as everything I use with the 8N is 3 point. I don't know how new I can buy or size to meet the requirements. I take care of about 20 acres. So open to help on what tractors to look for.
    Good used tractors are not bargains. If you have an LS, TYM, Kioti...etc dealer near you go check them out. John Deere and Kubota are good but they are very proud of their color.

I wound up buying a new LS and it has been excellent. About 210 hours on it in just over two years.
    Don Verna

We love our NH( probably made by LS). JD and Kubota are good, but like dverna said, you pay more for the name/color. The fantastic reputation of the dealership ( and they have lived up to it) put us over on the NH.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    We love our NH( probably made by LS). JD and Kubota are good, but like dverna said, you pay more for the name/color. The fantastic reputation of the dealership ( and they have lived up to it) put us over on the NH.
    The sub compact and compact NH tractors are made by LS. I saved over $3k buying the LS. I had a good NH dealer near me so I did look at them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    John Deere 620 or 630.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Tractor house dot com . Look for pre emissions Diesel engine tractors,but,like previously stated, they are not cheap but will virtually last forever. Just my two cents. Good luck
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    How about a Jubilee???!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Would your capabilities change if you had a loader? I do a lot with the 3point, but I also do a lot with the front of the tractor as well. I would give up size/weight/hp in a heartbeat for a decent 4wd with a loader. Wouldn't go less than 36-40 hp...but something to think about. I really like my Mahindra...
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

I just sold an 04 L3000DT Kubota that was still going strong. 4wd, manual trans, no electronics or emissions crap. I think if you found a similar L series Kubota it would serve you well.

There have been a couple of tractor threads lately with a lot discussed. You might try searching in "Our Town" for them.

Boolit Master

I have a International 1466 (about 145hp) and my brother has a 20hp LS. The 1466 take all the 3-point hitch equipment that the LS will although most of it looks like toys on the big tractor.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I have a International 1466 (about 145hp) and my brother has a 20hp LS. The 1466 take all the 3-point hitch equipment that the LS will although most of it looks like toys on the big tractor.
    That International for my uses would be like squirrel hunting with a .50BMG.

Moderator Emeritus

My third tractor -- all "move up's" -- is a BX25D Kubota. That said, three "points" I'd suggest you explore? To wit, you indicated you dig holes, have perhaps a rear-blade, and rear mower? Hence, you will have the choice of buying a (new to you) tractor with SAME Cat capabilities, or dropping LOTS of $$$ for replacement. I have about $12K in implements... IF, say, your post hole digger and (pto) mower are in great shape, why buy new? Secondly, I recall my 8N would run on anything resembling gasoline -- but -- the AMOUNT of petrol I use in the Kubota diesel -- eight hours -- is just about what would be consumed in two hours with the 8N. You may give serious thought to seeking a diesel. And, a third suggestion: I was a tad "uhhhh?" re the HST on the Kubota -- and now, I'd NEVER have another! To simply depress the pedal to go forward, and/or then tap the rear of same pedal to back-up -- hey -- this is almost "tractor heaven" NO shuttles, clutches, etc.! One last note is that, if I remember correctly, the Ford 8N boasts eighteen horsepower... my Kubota boasts 23HP. Yes, I have had one or two (at most) instances where perhaps bigger would have been better... but I never (yet) have regretted this sized machine.
    Good luck!!!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 02-22-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just wanted to add. If buying used, a SSQA on the loader is a very nice feature. I can swap out the bucket, pallet forks, grapple and tree/post puller in minutes. I even have a SSQA to 3 PH adapter that lets me put 3 PH stuff on the front. I use that adapter to mount the rear blade on the front when I have my snow blower on the rear and also to mount the landscape rake on the front for cleaning up debris.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    there are a bunch of imports these days, can't remember all the name but I'll give it a go, Kyoti, tlm, tm, there are tractor supply brand and I'll bet mainards might have one too, and rural king and yeah don't forget harbor freight. or John Deere, but dont plan on try to fix a new one by yourself if something goes terribly wrong and new Holland, there's yanmar, they been in the game of making tough little tractors for a long time now, and Kubota is probably king these days.
    if you can afford a new Kubota or find a good older used one without all the new fangled stuff on it that probably belongs in a pinball arcade, my hats off to ya.
    as far as size, get the most hp you can, those little 20hp are nice although may be a bit limiting, but I was quite impressed looking at rural kings new 26hp 4wd and its a discount compared to its equal in a Kubota. another thing to look into. is to mow a rough pasture a b usb hong gets it done , no problem, to try and use an underbelly deck mower it has limited lift and is probably made of punched metal form like a cheap lawn mower. compared to welded plate steel deck like a professional mowing machine. and those new front loaders are the bees knees, yeah they have quick change and quick this and quick that they are all a bit different depending on brand but they all do the same work in the end, look into capacity in volume and break out force some are just manure buckets and some can dig rocks. just a few things might worth considering on a new tractor

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with old technology....I avoid DEF like the plague! I have a 1998 Kubota M5400 which has 54 horsepower on the engine. I dont suppose I have to tell you but you do need 4-wheel drive and a front end loader. The only downside to the tractor is it has a metric tires on it and sometimes hard to find. But we are a 3 Kubota family and we work 183 acres cow and horse operation. Hope it helps but you will need probably need at least a 35 horse power tractor.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Might keep the 8n for mowing. Leave the bush hog on it all the time and just go.
    Mi 2009 kioti is great, but sometimes I wish the loader wasnt there when mowing around trees.

Boolit Master
    You might have to go back quite a few years to avoid a tractor without computer controls. I have 2007 New Holland 85 HP, bought new, it is computer driven as it just failed, 3 grand to repair, had no repairs until the computer died. We are considering a skid steer for 'tractor' stuff, post holes, push snow, pen cleanup, moving big bails, landscape kind of dirt work that we do with the NH. Older non-computerized tractors in GOOD shape have gotten very pricey. The ease of operating with the modern upgrades is very nice, air conditioning and heat make the work much more pleasant when the weather is unpleasant. my lady runs the controls while I am outside guiding for post holes, dirt work, and such.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My favorite tractor was Ford 3000. I had two of them. Unfortunately, now they are few and far between, that aren’t all worn out. One of the best things about them was they were simple and straightforward to work on. Parts were easy to find at reasonable prices.

I’m not sold on 4W drive. My newer tractor is a Renault with 4W drive. The only place it really makes a difference from The Fords, is backing up up hill and maybe some with plowing. Going up hill, all the weight is transferred off the front wheels and they don’t help at all. There’s a lot more to wear out an maintain on 4WDs.

What counts the most 2WD or 4wD are good tires with a lot of tread left. If you don’t buy new, buy something for a reduced price, because of worn out tires and get new tires.

If you are going to be using a loader much, that’s one reason 4WD could be recommended, especially going down hill with weight in the loader.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast