RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: RCBS Competion powder measure

Boolit Buddy

RCBS Competion powder measure

I just gave away one of my Uniflows so I picked up another RCBS measure, I picked up a Competition model with the pistol/small rifle drum. Its supposed to handle 5 -40 grains. It just seems like just a Uniflow with a baffle and micrometer screw adjust assembly. Ive been happy with Uniflow measures. This one was 124 bucks. I was going to get a Redding 3br with both large and small drums but it was a 120 bucks more. Im going to throw that money towards a new electronic scale.
    My question is anyone use the RCBS Competion?

Boolit Master
    If you don't mind spending money get a Harrel. Electronic scales that I've tried, tend to drift.

If you want every throw to be as close to the last one as possible you can combine your measure with a little electronics and a beam scale.

I use one sometimes....it's as accurate as any Uniflow....the small cylinder measures best for any load that isn't too big for that hole. When I said "sometimes", I mean that I have 5 Uniflows....one is a Uniflow 3, another is a large Quick Change that came with my ProChucker 7, a competition that came with my Pro 2000 press, and 2 old Uniflows converted to competitions, all with case activated linkage for progressive use. All are set up for particular machines and loads.

I converted the old Uniflows because of the "mic" screws, and have settings recorded of all of what I load. The Quick Change and the Uniflow 3 use only one cylinder and load adjustment screws are not mics. Those are designed to just preset the screws and replace them with other preset screws.....which makes them "quick change". They all work......the quick change are best for those willing to buy a screw for each caliber/load....the Competition is best for those who'd rather just record settings for each load. Cheaper for sure, and just as accurate.

If you load on a single station, then jmorris's method is hard to beat for the best accuracy.

One more note: RCBS sells powder dies with the lower linkage separately for use on progressives......so that you can set one on each die plate rather than have to buy a powder measure for each die plate. That way when you change calibers, you just drop the Uniflow onto the press-mounted plate, adjust the mic, or change out the Quick Change stem, and go.
    Last edited by GWS; 02-22-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    As mentioned Harrel little on the $$$ side a drop tube and your good to go. Electronic
    scales I tend to avoid, drift, and a few other things affect them, not gonna spend a
    fortune on one. Powder measures other than the Harrel are old Ohaus Du-O-Measures
    with Dramworx hoppers, old Uniflows or old Lyman 55 depends what's on the bench.
    Scales old Ohaus / RCBS 10-10's or Lyman M5's some tuned (Scott)

got so much stuff under the bench and over the bench, decades of collecting

-Rock

Boolit Buddy
    Wow disappointed! After cleaning it well I have been working with this measure now for a few days. Really inconsistent. It has the small powder drum on it. It didn't matter what powder either. Unique, Universal, AA9, H110, Imr4895. It was consistently inconsistent when compared to a Uniflow Ive been using with almost any powder. I tried very hard with H110 is a very easy metering powder. My older Uniflow had an extreme spread of .4 for 25 charges. With the large powder drum! Only 1 out of the 25 were .4 all others were within .2. Most were within .1. The new Competition model is only different by having a micrometer. I see no other difference. This thing had a spread of .7 for 15 charges. H110 is a easy powder to throw accurately. There was also leakage of this fine ball powder at the bottom of the down stroke. I tried a lot of techniques to be consistent. I monkeyed around with it for at least 4-5 hours total. Then I gave up.
    I noticed the powder drum edges weren"t that sharp. I actually think the drum was not cut right. My other Uniflow does not leak this powder. Also there was a lot of side to side play with the powder drum with the micrometer as compared to any other Uniflow Ive had with just a screw assembly.
    Ive never returned any reloading equipment ever. But this is already on its way back.
    I have a lot of RCBS equipment. And this is only the second item Ive had difficulty with. Ive been discussing the other one with RCBS. I was actually pretty disappointed and surprised about this measure. I didnt expect it to be a Harrels . But I expected it to be equal to the other Uniflows Ive owned. Could be just a lemon.