RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 9.3X62 Lyman seater die plug too narrow for my Boolit, causing damage.

9.3X62 Lyman seater die plug too narrow for my Boolit, causing damage.

Working with 9.3X62, using an NOE 368-285 FN.

The Lyman 93E seater plug that comes stock with the die set is designed for Jacketed bullets that are not as full in the nose as my Cast.

This causes a ring to be cut in the ogive of the projectile that is unsightly at best and likely to be compromising accuracy.

What are others doing about this issue?

I do not see any different seater plugs available from Lyman, I do not really understand why not.

Is there a possibility that I purchase another caliber die set that would be more likely to have a blunter nose? Maybe like a 30-30?

Or carefully open up the seater plug that I have now? It seems like I may be able to use a countersink bit and change the opening angle a bit to take off the sharp edge. There is a bit of meat outside of the seater recess.
    The problem with that is then it may not be good for jacketed, that I also load for this caliber.

I may get some answers from Lyman on the phone during working hours, but I thought I would ask here first.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Working with 9.3X62, using an NOE 368-285 FN.

The Lyman 93E seater plug that comes stock with the die set is designed for Jacketed bullets that are not as full in the nose as my Cast.

This causes a ring to be cut in the ogive of the projectile that is unsightly at best and likely to be compromising accuracy.

What are others doing about this issue?

I do not see any different seater plugs available from Lyman, I do not really understand why not.

Is there a possibility that I purchase another caliber die set that would be more likely to have a blunter nose? Maybe like a 30-30?

Or carefully open up the seater plug that I have now? It seems like I may be able to use a countersink bit and change the opening angle a bit to take off the sharp edge. There is a bit of meat outside of the seater recess.
    The problem with that is then it may not be good for jacketed, that I also load for this caliber.

I may get some answers from Lyman on the phone during working hours, but I thought I would ask here first.
    * No die maker can give us a perfect fitting seating plug for every bullet ever made. We either put up with the ring or fix the plug.

* The light cut mark usually won't degrade accuracy a bit.

* You can minimise the cut if you ease the seating plug socket in any one of several ways. Drill bits, countersinks, ball shaped grinder wheels, even sandpaper on a wooden dowel will work.

* You can fill the seater pocket with epoxy, or even hot glue, and make it a custom fit for any bullet nose you wish to use.

Boolit Grand Master

When you say 'seater plug' are you talking about the basic seater plug or are you talking about the sleeve that Hornaday uses for it's seater die? I can see a problem re-cutting the sleeve, since the boolit fits completely in it.

The other question is how comfortable are you using tools? If you are talking about the boolit sleeve and modifying it you may need to PM some of the machinists on the board.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

This is a Lyman die set with an adjustable seater plug. Lyman numbers their plugs and this one is a 93E.

Since I posted originally, I opened up the seater a bit and smoothed the opening. It is better now and the cut has been largely remedied. I do not have any jacketed at the moment to see if I have ruined it for that purpose, but that will have to be dealt with down the road.

Thank you for your assistance gentlemen.

Boolit Grand Master

Custom fit the shape of the nose plug that is leaving the "ring" with a small ball of epoxy putty .
    Anytime a nose plug cavity doesn't match the boolit nose ...it deforms it or leaves a ring .
    Clean the nose plug cavity so the epoxy putty will stick ... reassemble the die with the small ball of epoxy putty in the nose ...not much is required , grease the boolit nose so epoxy wont stick .
    Then gently seat the boolit , make sure everything is straight and in-line , stop and leave the press handle resting down on the boolit and let epoxy cure .
    Very Important ... Use slow hardening epoxy putty ... the putty will not drip and run down into places it doesn't belong AND 5 or 10 minute hardening Quick Setting epoxy putty doesn't give you enough working time ... Do Not use too much putty ...it will squeeze out the sides and make a mess .
    If you use too little you can do it again and add a little more epoxy putty to the nose and re-seat a boolit ... Remember the warnings !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"