Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 63 year old man giggling

Boolit Master

63 year old man giggling

Ok so I’m a sap sucker. My grandson - 8 years old loves rifles. I’ve gotten him a Henry youth model 22 we take out and shoot and he consistently recites Jeff Coopers 4 rules of gun safety from memory but the stock is a little long yet.

It’s still winter here so we haven’t got much shooting in, but today at Tractor Supply for $40 I got him a……Crossman 760 pump BB/pellet gun. Going to give it to him as soon as chores are done and we can go right out the kitchen door and he can shoot cans off the railing all day if he wants and I can cut the stock back to his length of pull and not mess with a $500 Henry which he will grow into.

……..I don’t know who’s going to be more excited, he or I……God I love grandchildren!

Just had to tell someone and I knew you guys would be as excited as I……

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Sharp kid.

Col. Cooper had several pearls of wisdom.
    One of his most wise ones was, 'Never unload a 1911 while standing over a water bed'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My grandson is 12 and no shooting aspirations what so ever. Dang games are eating his life up. Consider your self lucky! I hope he becomes a chip off the block.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    While I really don't like the idea of all those violent games, some of the military games have turned young gamers into milsurp collectors and shooters.

I started my grandson shooting at approx. 10 years old. Besides all the fun, I wanted him to KNOW and EXPERIENCE how powerful and dangerous guns and bullets can be, so our first targets were cans and jugs full of water. I swear he could shoot my Garand better than me!

Now he's 25, an Aircrewman in the Navy, and damn near as bulky as a pro wrestler. Also engaged to a wonderful young lady with two little boys, she's a disabled vet, Army medic.

You are doing the Lord's work anytime you can teach a child to safely handle a gun, and prevent them from handling a phone.

I've come to believe that for a minor child, the smart phone is a path to ruination. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Taz Man Scrounge up some corrugated card board white glue and a few rolls of neco candy wafers. glue up a nice tee from the cardboard and punch 5-10 holes in it that will hold the wafers leave the base a couple inches longer on each end so it can be held to the railing with string or rubber bands. AS he gets better you can make others up that hold smaller wafers down to aspirin. When hit the wafer turn into a cloud of dust, no clean up and the next rain it dissolves into the ground.

He is going to have a ball and hopefully become an avid shooter.

I just took my Grandson out to short his shotgun and bow. He's 12 and wants to start real hunting this year. I've got to buy him a different bow as the one he has is a weird shoot through type. He told me also that he wants my reloading gear when I'm done with it. We'll see how he does and hopefully I've got a few more years to enjoy them.

Taz, sounds like both grandpa and grandson are enjoying the good life. Congratulations !!

I wasn't even allowed to have a BB gun until I was well into my teens, let alone a rifle.
    If I had been able to have a .22 rifle when I was 8, I probably would not be such the gun nut that I am now.

Boolit Master
    If I had been able to have a .22 rifle when I was 8, I probably would not be such the gun nut that I am now.
    My grandfather gave me a break barrel BB gun before I was school age. I am a gun nut and I think I can hold my own with many even with shaky eyes, 64yo. Early exposure means lifetime interest and often fine shooting.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master

Good on you for being so good to your Grandson.

Boolit Master
    I have ten grandkids 3 live in the same town as nana an i. The two boys love to go out an shoot it is a dream come true for me. The oldest got to deer hunt for the first time this year you will love that adventure also. Good luck with your grandson enjoy it as much as you can they grow up fast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Sharp kid.

Col. Cooper had several pearls of wisdom.
    One of his most wise ones was, 'Never unload a 1911 while standing over a water bed'.
    That is a pearl of wisdom.

Boolit Master
    Tazman I feel your joy. I remember the Tiger hunts in the front garden with my with my young gran kids and the joy of taking them shooting. I have always believed that kids who learn to fish shoot and or hunt make the best citizens, but I may well be biased. Enjoy while you can Sir and give them the memories we all had as kids.

Boolit Master

Oh man! He got his chores done and we set out to kill a water filled Mountain Dew bottle off the back porch rail. The look on his face when he finally nailed it meant more to me than myself shooting a ten point!

God is great for letting me spend time with him amen.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

When my grandboy was 7 he was convinced Sasquatch was real and one lived in our 80 acres of woods . We spent quite a few days "hunting" Ole Bigfoot , never got one . Had a ball collecting rocks from the creek to make firepits and cooking hot dogs and smores in the evenings though. He even went to the neighbors and got 'em to sign permission slips to hunt Bigfoot on their land also, even granting them 50% of any proceeds resulting from the kill or capture . Later learned my daughter had let him watch some episodes of something called Mountain Monsters . While he thought his little Chipmunk was sufficient, I did carry the 1911 for backup ! Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    My grandfather gave me a break barrel BB gun before I was school age. I am a gun nut and I think I can hold my own with many even with shaky eyes, 64yo. Early exposure means lifetime interest and often fine shooting.
    When I said gun nut, I meant gun nut, not somebody who enjoys shooting.
    There is a difference.

I can still vividly remember the first time dad took me shooting. You are creating some good memories.
    As to giggling; when I got my full-auto mp-40 bb gun, absolutely everyone, no matter age or manliness, giggled when they shot it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great thread.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast