RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alox versus Powder (contact)

Boolit Bub

Alox versus Powder (contact)

This has probably been covered somewhere, but as I used to tell my high school biology students: "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."

I began casting with Lyman molds in 1969, then sold out of that stuff about 6 years later.

Recently, I began casting again with Lee aluminum molds and love them.

QUESTION: My Alox-coated bullets have quite a bit of "alox/wax" on the bottoms after sizing and boxing.

Over a period of time, would powder contact with this Alox deteriorate powder? I'm talking maybe several years of storage.

Thanks so much in advance, Bo in western NC

Boolit Master
    Not sure if this is a bad analogy, but…
    Oil impregnated sintered bronze bushings (Oilite being the main brand) will lose their oil if stored in a paper bag, cardboard box, etc. The oil wicks out of the sponge-like structure of powdered metal bushings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bocash3 View Post
    This has probably been covered somewhere, but as I used to tell my high school biology students: "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."

I began casting with Lyman molds in 1969, then sold out of that stuff about 6 years later.

Recently, I began casting again with Lee aluminum molds and love them.

QUESTION: My Alox-coated bullets have quite a bit of "alox/wax" on the bottoms after sizing and boxing.

Over a period of time, would powder contact with this Alox deteriorate powder? I'm talking maybe several years of storage.

Thanks so much in advance, Bo in western NC
    I have Alox-beeswax lubed bullets loaded in .44 mag from back in 1980 and they still go bang every time. Of course, they have generally been stored at room temp - except when I’m headed for a shoot, which could be held in any temperature.

Boolit Master

Sounds like you are using too much Alox. Use just enough to barely wet the boolits. Thin with mineral spirits and/or warm the bottle in hot water if needed so you don’t get a clumpy coat. I like tumbling boolits that are still hot from the mold. You could also use a heat gun or hair dryer and gently warm the works. You should barely be able to see the alox when you are done.

Give powder coating a try, too!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the advice and willingness to help, fellers! SILVERCREEK: Indeed there is a lot of Alox on these after my tumbling in a food container. GOOD Suggestion on thinning with spirits!

So how much Alox (wax) Really needs to be on these things? Bear in mind I came from pressure-sizing with Lyman sizer/lubricator where all grooves are packed with wax. I would love to give these a lighter coating. Mine are sticking to wax paper and each other since drying. Excess wax is coming out of the Rockchucker and Lee Sizing die in slivers.

** AND...........Silvercreek: Are you in Burke County?

Thanks to all and have a great week, Bo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bocash3 View Post
    Thanks for the advice and willingness to help, fellers! SILVERCREEK: Indeed there is a lot of Alox on these after my tumbling in a food container. GOOD Suggestion on thinning with spirits!

So how much Alox (wax) Really needs to be on these things? Bear in mind I came from pressure-sizing with Lyman sizer/lubricator where all grooves are packed with wax. I would love to give these a lighter coating. Mine are sticking to wax paper and each other since drying. Excess wax is coming out of the Rockchucker and Lee Sizing die in slivers.

** AND...........Silvercreek: Are you in Burke County?

Thanks to all and have a great week, Bo
    Borrowed this pic off the web but the boolit on the right looks pretty good. If you get leading towards the muzzle you could go more like the one on the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5390245C-CECA-4A64-8726-F588F1FFB987.jpeg  

Boolit Bub
    THANKS again, SCreek. Mine have a really thick coating all over............to the point I'm thinking about wiping off the tops and bottoms of each one on a cloth so the seating dies doesn't get a gummy build-up in the seating plug.

And just curious, are in Burke?

Boolit Master

Back in the dark ages, when I was Alox dipping and squeezing grease into lube grooves, I kept a rag on my theigh to wipe the bottoms free of grease. I honestly don't know if it made a difference, but that's how I did it.

Since discovering powder coat, I would never go back to sticky bullets that smoke up indoor ranges.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a few boxes of .38 target loads I had loaded over 30 years ago with 50/50 lube. 2.7 gr of Bullseye...so not a lot of powder. Half would not fire.

For short term storage...less than 5 years...I have never had a problem.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I recently read where a guy likes to tumble his Alox bullets in graphite or the white mika. I have no clue about why but your post made me think about that.

Boolit Master

Bet you are applying it way to thick. Made that mistake when I first used tumble lubes.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Bet you are applying it way to thick. Made that mistake when I first used tumble lubes.
    YEP..............am seeing that now. Will cut back the amount of lube and "thin" it with paint thinner and see what happens. I've got a bunch more to cast in 5 calibers in 2 styles each.

THANKS!! Bo

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Back in the dark ages (before powder coating) I used alox and reduced JPW mix. It hardened and did not build up on the ends. Or anywhere! Even if it did, it was a hard coating that should (mabe?) never interact with the gun powder. I never worried about it. That was pre 2013, and I lubed a lot of alox/JPW and never had any problems. Now with PC, the worries all totally away!

Boolit Bub
    Not good with smart phones, texting, or any of the modern way of expression, so gotta beg: What is JPW

THANKS, Bo

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

JPW = Johnson's Paste Wax.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Bub
    Is the type of Johnson's Paste Wax you used still on the market?

Thanks, Bo

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Ask someone that still grease lubes! I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Ask someone that still grease lubes! I have no idea.
    Bought some last year, I use it when I oil stain stocks.

FINEM RESPICE ~ MEMENTO MORI

If you want to invest a bit of acetone, pour enough to cover the old bullets in a coffee can. Swirl, pour off and then re-cover, swirl, etc.
    Powder coat, the rest is do not worry about it ever again.
    I had a bunch of old sticky lubed bullets, no more, they be gone. After a bit of time, with temp changes, etc., they turn into a block of lube.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Long time caster and helped do all the research on pc. Yet I still do traditional lubing.

But it depends on what I’m reloading for

My revolvers are trad lube

My autos are pc

Rifel rounds are a mix of pc. Lubed and jackets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast