Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat cycling new molds

Heat cycling new molds

So I've never done this because to day all my molds where used ,but I'm gearing back up slowly to start casting again ( still got a few months to go). Well this is gonna involve new molds and I'm just curious what exactly does heat cycling actually do ?like I see some people say do it some people say don't but noone really saying exactly what the heck the point is
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Here is my opinion, and it’s just that. My opinion.

First step when getting a new mold is to scrub out and residual oils from production. Some use Dawn push detergent and a toothbrush. Some boil the mold in water. Some spray the mold with BrakeKleen or scrub with acetone. Any of these methods will work.
    Second step is to heat cycle the mold several cycles. I take mine to about 400*F, then let them fully cool. Do this at least three times. My belief is that it does a couple of things. First thing it does is that when the mold gets hot, residual oils that may have penetrated the surface of the mold will thin and hopefully work it’s way out of the metal. The second thing it seems to do is the surface of the mold develops a “patina”. This may or may not be seen, but I consider it similar to seasoning a cast iron pan. The patina forms a very thin layer on the surface of the mold, helping to keep the lead from sticking to the mold. This is quite apparent on brass molds, not so visible on aluminum and steel.

Again, this is my opinion based on my experience and others may disagree. Hope it helps.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Grand Master

Heat cycling to my understanding is mostly for brass molds. It builds up surface oxidization on the mold so tinning becomes less of an issue. I have never heat cycled an aluminum or an iron mold. I have never NOT heat cycled a brass mold.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-19-2022 at 01:32 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have seen no difference in cycled versus non-cycled molds. I scrub them with a toothbrush and Dawn and then heat them in the mold oven (hot plate and coffee can) and start casting. I have heat cycled a few and it made no difference. They all cast better after the third casting session, with or without any special treatment before. And I have well over a hundred brass molds, so it isn't just a fluke. But it definitely doesn't hurt to heat cycle it before, if you just want to. Have fun and enjoy casting, no matter how you do it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I just clean a new Lee mold and start making boolits.
    I've never had a brass mold.

Heating and cooling an Iron mold- or just using it, seems to somehow help season it like Grandma's old cast Iron frying pan.
    Mine release easier and easier over time.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I mainly do it with brass molds to build a little "patina" on them before making bullets. Aluminum I usually just do the dawn dish soap, hot water and toothbrush or just hose them down with brake cleaner, lube and cast.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE states in their instructions "This will help seat the alignment pins and start the oxidization build up on the cavities
    This oxidization will help in the bullets releasing from the cavities"

I have not in a long time, and will not again bother with heat cycling new molds. Not even brass. I have never found a mold get easier with use, other than you figure out what works best. If they don't work new, they aren't going to work with a dozen heat and cooling cycles. You always hear this nonsense about porous metals soaking up oils. It's metal, it isn't a sponge. Liquids can not go into solids. There can be residual oil on the mold, since even polished metals are rough on a microscopic level, but this doesn't effect casting. Anything on your mold burns off real quick when you are casting. You could spend an hour heat cycling, or you could just cast some bullets and have to reject the first few shots.

Boolit Master
    I have only had the pins move on one Lee 6 cav mold. It was new and I loaned it to an experienced casting friend. I had heat cycled other Lee molds so did not expect a problem. The mold had never been heat cycled and the pins moved. My experience may be different from others.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve always only cleaned with brake cleaner and then scrubbed with dish detergent to get all oils off with new steel and aluminum molds. After that I just start casting. I have a new brass mold and have been wondering if I shouldn’t use a different method with it. Don’t expect your boolits to cast perfect the first time. Molds tend to cast better after a few sessions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I just clean a new Lee mold and start making boolits.
    I've never had a brass mold.
    What he said. Same for me. It was only this year I think I got my first new mold. (lee)
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    I don't....but....it also takes a couple of casting sessions to get really good bullets. Part of this is developing the cadence for that mold. How fast can I cast with it. Does it need more cooling between pours, etc. I have had two molds that cast well right away. They were both 6cavity Lee molds (.45 and .357). The .30 cal 210gn mold I have from Accurate took a long time for me to figure out (long skinny bullets), but, now it casts great.

Do clean the molds before use. I use acetone.

Boolit Master

I think NOE's instructions are probably closest to the mark. Most of us are using either aluminum or brass molds with steel alignment pins. Those different materials are going to expand and contract at different rates, so the object, supposedly, is to get the parts to settle into their final positions. How this will happen differently from just using the mold is a mystery to me.

Heat will burn off the residual protective oils you'll put on your iron molds for storage, or that come on new aluminum and brass - probably cutting fluid - but then, so will brake cleaner.

Oxides (brass) will happen whether you cook your mold in the oven or just let it return to room temperature after a casting session.

I think about the only thing we'll agree on is that it won't have any negative effect other than to cycle your oven to 400F a few times.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

I have heat cycled new molds a few times, the last one being a 2 cavity Lee 158 gr. SWC ,357. I put an old circular saw blade on my hot plate, set on high, and set the mold on the blade. Haven't tried to measure temp., but it gets really hot (hotter than casting temp) then turn off hot plate and let it cool. I did this 3-4 times. I got good boolits from the first cast from the mold warmed on the got plate. I didn't have an identical mold to check the cycled mold against so how much difference did cycling it make? I couldn't tell you.
    Last edited by mdi; 02-19-2022 at 04:58 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    If you heat cycle, do it with the mold open, cavities exposed so the mold develops oxides on the surfaces that contact lead. This helps prevent lead from sticking, more so on brass molds.

I don't clean molds any more, just heat cycle to 400F which evaporates any oil left from machining.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    My opinion is that heat cycling is only really needed on brass molds, to help build up the patina of oxide to keep lead from sticking. Any plumber will tell you that solder (a lead alloy) will not stick to brass or copper unless it is clean. You could do the same by leaving it set with no protection for a few years, but who wants to take that much time?

I don't believe it is necessary on iron or aluminum molds, aluminum oxidizes almost instantly upon contact with air. Although I did have one Lee 312-185 that didn't start freely releasing boolits until about the fourth time I used it. I then proceeded to cast a coffee can full of them, still shooting them years later.

I have had only one alignment pin move on a six cavity Lee, unfortunately it was the very first six cavity I had ever seen and a custom one at that. Took me a while to figure it out.

Robert

Boolit Master

I will be that odd ball who has never heard of heat cycling.

I just buy the mold then boil it in dish soap. Preheat the mold on a hot plate then lube the mold. Then cast fast and hot to burn off residual oils. I do the same on second hand molds to clean off preservatives or oils.

If the mold dropped bullets that wants to stick to cavities. I cool the mold. Check all edges with q-tip. Remove any burs or sharp edges with an exacto knife. Heat the mold back up and cast away. If thw mold is still stubborn then i will cool the mold and break all edges of the cavity.

I guess that kind of heat cycles it.

Then i cast 20lb to 60 lbs of bullets. Afterwards, the molds get placed in an ammo can with vaper paper and dessicant. Vaper paper is awesome. When it comes in contact with moisture it releases anti corrosive vapor. Molds look great even if I don't use them for a year.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    I just hose them off with brake cleaner, hit the cavities with a match to get some carbon build up, and start casting.

Boolit Master
    I have heat treated my NOE 5 cavity molds because it was recommended in the instructions. Have not done that with my LEE 6 cavity molds. If it made a difference with the NOE molds don't know as I never tried one without the heat treating. FWIW figured if the mold maker recommended it then there must be a reason and I followed his recommendation.

Boolit Grand Master

If the mould is cleaned properly, I've never found "heat cycling" to be necessary. Heat cycling is just a crutch to remove the moisture (oil or whatever) that is not removed properly when cleaning.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

For iron molds, skip the lube .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast