Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well had to try CCI again

Well had to try CCI again

Well every dang time I've tried some of the more expensive stuff like CCI or Ever Eley Black box in the past, the crap just plain wouldn't shoot well in my .22lrs at all. Just stop gun patterns at 30yd. That or wouldn't feed well in my semi autos. No clue why because everyone and their mom's sister kept telling me how awesome the stuff was. Thunder bolts how ever are like my guns favorites. I mean ragged holes at 25 all day long and I could used to buy a 500rd brick for only $20 at the hardware store so just never saw much of a point in trying the fancy stuff again. Weeelll it's been close to two years now and can't seem to find my beloved there bolts anymore but I see these CCI standards all the time now ,given a two week cycle , and for 3.20somthing a box I said why not. Mabye I did something wrong last time I used em what ever well bought three boxes the other day and decided to try them out in my Lil mutant just now and I gotta say I'm very very happy!

All three round groups @25yd except for the middle one that was our but was still tying to get my zero just right. But looks like the mutant at least likes em and for the price I reckon I'll be picking up two or three boxes everytime I get a chance

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Just goes to show ya , every gun is a law unto itself . Over the years I have noticed that CCI is consistently good in my rifles .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I'm with Jack. I used to be a Remington fanboi, then back way before the millenium they changed their lube and I had nothing but problems till I cleaned my mags.

I switched to some Federal and more CCI and I've been happy since.

My Ruger Mk III 22/45's love the Federal Champion Auto Match but my Ruger 10/22 gets way better 75 and 100 yard accuracy with CCI. Standard Vel, Mini Mags, it all runs and shoots well. Copper plated hollow points preferred but they are a bit pricey at times.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy

CCI standard velocity is favored by bullseye pistol shooters. For the price, it's a bargain. The top non supported/military shooters that have to buy their own ammo use Tenex or R50 at 50 yards and the less expensive CCI at 25 yards. There seems to be 1-2 FTF in every 500 round box in pistols. I have never had a FTF in any rifle or revolver with CCI SV ammo, only in my pistols.

Looks like you have a good batch of CCI. Go buy a few bricks .
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master
    Most of my rimfire shooting is at distances from 25 yards out to 100 yards. Truth is, a lot of available 22LR ammo can shoot acceptable groups at 25 yards. The real test of accuracy is whether that same ammo will group at 100 yards......consistently. For the price, SK Standard does really well in just about every gun I've tried it in but my best 100 yards groups have been with Eley. I shot CCI standard for many years and it does shoot well and I do still keep some on hand. But I kept getting occasional fliers from my groups beyond 50 yards. It cost me some scores in silhouette competition.

Boolit Master

When you find something cheap, that works, buy what you can then and there. They aren't making it for accuracy - you just happened to find the batch that for your particular rifle, wasn't made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. No guarantee that part number will still play nice for you two years down the road. With the "good stuff" there's more agonizing over making it the same down through time, but even then, the serious folks still try to stay in lot numbers.

As for Thunderbolts, ATK owns the Remington ammo name now (as well as Federal and CCI/Speer), so who knows how long they'll keep the same specs or if they'll even keep calling it Remington?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver man View Post
    Looks like you have a good batch of CCI. Go buy a few bricks .
    Buy as much as you can find of that lot number. That's true of any store bought ammo you buy.

Agree with above. When you find something your gun like to eat, stick with it. Standard velocity 22 is usually the most accurate. That said, the CCI stuff like Stingers and Mini Mags function flawlessly in all my autoloaders.

Boolit Master

I am glad it worked for you.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

At $ 3.20 something a box you had better get all you can, I don’t see it going anywhere but UP.
    I agree with the others saying it may change tomorrow as far as accuracy as I have seen that happen before.

Good Luck ! Jedman

Those standard velocity CCI's are just the right ammo for Mississippi fox squirrels. That's all a friend of mine shoots and he says the lack of noise really makes the difference. Like you said, the std velocity ammo is more available now than the faster stuff. Lucky you.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned
    back when i was hunting for squirrel, i used cci mini mags 36gr hp. i could shoot a half inch at 50 yards (7 shots, marlin m25 and a 4x scope). but that was years ago and it was expensive, 100 rounds were $2 or $3. i could buy 500 rem, win, federals for $7 to $8 (.69 -.79 cents for 50 rounds). i mowed alot of grass and shoveled snow out of their driveways to fund the 22.
    Last edited by todd9.3x57; 02-22-2022 at 04:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Winchester HP 333’s shoot the tightest in all my 22lr rifles and pistols. I bought a box of re branded as Browning that I have had quite a few FTFs. If I run them through again most will go off. The Winchester boxes I haven’t had any FTFs with to date. They shoot tighter at 50 yards than your CCIs do at 30 yards in my 552, ultralux, anchutz chipmunk, and buckmark 5.5 target pistol. Guess I got lucky. They are a good squirrel stopper. Trying to find them now are next to impossible around here. I ran into about a four or 5 boxes OCD looking for them since last summer. I finally found my first boxes of 3” 12 gauge turkey loads in almost 2 years yesterday. I bought all 4, 5 count boxes of Remington premier magnum turkey high velocity 1&3/4oz #5’s for $6.78 a box. They had 5 boxes of the same in #4. The rest were 3.5” shells. Box 10 count boxes of the Nitro turkey #4’s weren’t crimped properly and had lead pellets falling out of the boxes. I sat them behind the counter since no one was working in the hunting department. I took mine to the front and was able to buy all four boxes. So either the front end employee didn’t know there was a three box limit, he didn’t know, or shotgun shells not locked up in the rifle ammo case behind the counter don’t have a limit. Hopefully mine will be fine. Would have really like to found the 2oz version but beggars can’t be choosers.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-22-2022 at 12:01 PM.

I checked are other walmart and got 4,10 round boxes of #5's in 17/8oz for $5.96 ea today!...no limit.

At the 1 shot per bird average I'll be good till for quite a few seasons.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-22-2022 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    The brick of Winchester 333 that I have has had numerous FTF in multiple pistols.........after multiple hits. Including my Ruger Mark II Target, which is the most reliable.

Winelover.

Boolit Master
    was at Walmart yesterday, $40 for 300 round yellow box of winchester super x 22's, they can keep em at that price. as to the cci thing, they seem too make some of the most consistent and reliable bulk 22 ammo. but before the most recent madness struck I stocked up on at least a dozen boxes of winchester 555's and dynapoints
    been though about 3 of them so far and no ftf used in multiple 22 platforms including 22/45, marlin 39a's, marlin 60w, and more.
    the only problem ive had with cci's are with 300 rd boxes of mini mags bought on clearance from palmetto state each sealed box was missing 1 round, right in the back corner spot. but they all went bang.

I’d love to shoot the CCIs but they shoot around an inch or larger groups in all my rifles and pistols at 25 yards. My 333’s are all in the same hole at 50 yards and 60 yards with the same firearms and pistols. My luck I guess. They ALL hate Aquila ammo as well. I had 9” groups out my CZ452 ultralux with 2 of the hi power HP and RN versions. I believe they have smaller boolit diameters than most offerings if I had to guess causing the fliers. I burn them up on my trap line. I bought about 18 bricks of CCI primers for $39 a year from last November. They work excellent. The yellow boxes of Winchester came in at $39.99 here and have stayed the same prices. Last summer the 325 boxes of federal auto match were $17 and 333’s were $18. The auto match are now $21.99 (they were $24 a month or two ago) and I haven’t seen the 333’s ever since I bought the only 3 boxes I saw there. I have to say the auto matches shoot pretty good. I shot 2, 1 1/4”, 5 shot groups in a row at 100 yards with my anschutz woodchucker last fall when I first tried them. I had a crappy 3-9 Tasco world class in it. I’m sure with higher magnification and crosshairs that are not as thick as barn boards it would shoot better. I am putting a 4-12 on it soon.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-23-2022 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    the 32gn cci hollow point mini mag shoot great in my 1022,tried them in my bsa martini ,it likes them too.the other mini mags 40gn shoot badly in my 1022 .

Attachment 296745Attachment 296746I went to a local Walmart yesterday for other items but noticed they had some 22 RF in stock at not to bad a price so I picked up just one carton of 325 for $ 21.00. I have never seen this particular Federal ammo before so I will see how it shoots before considering buying more. It figures to be about 6.5 cents a round which is a bit high for junk ammo but if it shoots good it would be worth it.

Jedman