Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: I want a 2nd spotting scope for BPCR

Boolit Mold

I want a 2nd spotting scope for BPCR

I have a want for a 2nd spotting scope for BPCR. I will use this one beside the mat while shooting. What higher end scope do you suggest? I prefer the angled eye piece for this application. My old one just don't cut it anymore. Thanks, Bob

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I have one of the older Vortex rattler or some such, it's one of their lower priced scopes, that I use for a ground scope.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Mold
    Don, I was just looking at a Vortex HD! Price isn't over the top and I've seen a few of them on the range. I may elbow the owner over and look through the next one. Thanks, Bob

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I have a Vortex Viper I put the moa fixed eyepiece on that I really like for the up scope. It's a pretty good sized scope but would do well as a ground scope for something like the Creedmoor cup matches. Sportsmans and Cabela's usually have a pretty good selection of Vortex scopes on display.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I bought an angled eye piece scope from Harbor-Freight, I returned it that afternoon. It was worthless. There is a power pole about 250 yards behind my house that has a small info tag attached. With my straight scope I can read the tag. With the HB angled scope it was just a blur.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

You a lot of good on the kowa scopes They work and with interchangeable eyepieces pretty versatile. I have 2 of them a older 77 mm and an 82 mm both with the long eye relief eye pieces and on freeland bases. Both are excellent scopes. For spotting / scoring Ive went to a set pf 25 x 100 binoculars on a tri pod. These give a great view show hits and misses good, and a lot less eye strain and fatigue with them.

I always liked checking the scopes out at camp perry on commercial row they were outside and had a good distance. Used to be the vendors would let you take one to the range and test it. They still may.

In a store look at the upc bars on items and how clear they appear

I didn’t buy any guns for awhile and went ahead and bought a Zeiss Diascope 45-60 X . It has been flawless for 15 years and hundreds of hours peering through it. Had cheaper ones but the eye fatigue was bothersome after a few hours of spotting. BTW I gave up a Leupold for the Zeiss worth every penny.

Boolit Bub
    I have an Kowa 883 angled 20-60x as a main scope and another Kowa TSN 663 angled as well with long eye relief 26x lens. I now hear that they make a Kowa 990 series scope. So far I have resisted to look it up....
    Support Our Troops
    Semper Fi

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MC One Shot View Post
    I have an Kowa 883 angled 20-60x as a main scope and another Kowa TSN 663 angled as well with long eye relief 26x lens. I now hear that they make a Kowa 990 series scope. So far I have resisted to look it up....
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...84894776053421
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    Anything with the name Kowa on it will be good, but expensive. I used a 100mm objective lens Celestron for a few years. It worked great and could see 22cal holes and 200 meters, at least before mirage got too bad but one day it **** the bed on me. I've been using a sub $200 80mm Celestron since then.