Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Need help with my Ruger Security 6

Boolit Buddy

Need help with my Ruger Security 6

I bought an old security 6 and it was dirty so took it a part cleaned it really good and put it back together no extra parts but now my shell ejector when I push it to eject shells I have to manual push it back down it use to do it on its own. I'm thinking I lost a spring or install a spring wrong can anyone help out?

Also this is an early model so grips are hard to find anyone know of any for sale? Thanks!

Boolit Master

Sounds like you are missing the ejector spring.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...ger/security-6
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master
    Find a parts Diagram and note the arrangement of the parts involved in the cylinder Rod and pin. There are two springs, one large and one smaller. The large one is likely the culprit, It is supposed to butt up against a washer and push the ejector rod back into position. The small one pushes the center pin into lock up.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Grips are not available for the old "low back". I modified Hougue grips for a Redhawk with a belt sander. They don't look too good but feel great. That's all I could find.

I did the same thing a while back. Tuned out I replaced the springs in incorrect order. More correctly, the washer that fits inside the ejector rod tube. Check an exploded drawing and reassemble. Good luck!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

There are two springs in side the cylinder. There is a tiny one that goes inside the extractor, and all it does is push out the nub on the back of the star to engage the frame. The spring you are having issues with is the bigger one. I'm not aware of any washer. The big spring goes on the outside of the extractor, and is retained with the left hand threaded nut. I can only think of three possibilities. #1 you forgot the spring altogether. #2 you forgot to tighten the nut. #3, the spring is bound somehow inside, maybe not seated all the way down. I'm going to guess it is number 3. It is possible to install the spring, but unless it is pushing against the bottom of the hole, it will not function. When you put that spring in, turn it in the direction of the spiral as you put it in.

Boolit Grand Master
    I know the feeling of looking for grip panels for the early Security Six. I bought one that had the Italian made target style grips and had to look a long time to find the service style I preferred. I got lucky at one of the big gun shows in KC a few years ago.

Robert