Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We got Chumped

Boolit Grand Master

We got Chumped

My wife and my charge card got hacked awhile back
    so after getting that squared got away they are sending us 2 new cards
    however whoever scammed our cards took over the account and had the new cards sent to them at a different address in Las Vegas
    if I wasn't on top of this we would have been chumped again however I got it fixed again what a pain
    I don't know how it happened but it did, and it makes me less willing to buy online anymore even though the cc company took care of it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear. You could get a pre-paid credit card and just use it for online transactions. I actually trust online more than gas pumps, i have seen more skimmers there.

Sounds like either an inside job at the CC office, or somebody hacked your user name and passwords. I would immediately change all your passwords for everything.... Pronto.
    Deplorable infidel

It might be a hassle but I use cash and sometimes checks when I get gas. Use personal checks at the Food Lion and all my monthly bills. CC is my last resort. I have a single card that has a low $ max that is tied to my eBay, Amazon etc accounts.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the RFID at gas pumps, but there is plenty of opportunity for my card to be stolen online or in restaurants.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Our card was compromised once. I had an idea it was at a local fast-food place. Oddly enough, the next time I went to that restaurant, the entire crew that was there before had been replaced. Makes you wonder.

If law enforcement has any desire to prosecute that case,
    having the address the new cards were sent to is a big leg up for them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Sounds like either an inside job at the CC office, or somebody hacked your user name and passwords. I would immediately change all your passwords for everything.... Pronto.
    My thoughts also ... The Credit Card Company is doing a lousy job protecting itself and it's customers .
    They knew you had problems , knew your phone # and didn't call to verify you "moved" to a new address in Las Vegas and they didn't think anything about that big red flag ... Not Your fault here ...Credit Card Co needs to up it's security game . Have you thought about changing ... lots of companies out there that would love to have your business ... some one got a hold to way too much information ... I would have to have a long talk with the manager ( or at least 3 or 4 ..."Let me speak to your boss " and see if they can do better .

Like WingerEd said that address could be helpful ... probly only a mail drop box , but at the mail center my wife works at ...the box address helped the FBI bust two different criminals ... using the mail in crimes is a Federal Crime and the Feds can have agents pose as workers , bad guy checks his mail box and pow ...on go the cuff's . My wife has worked with a few FBI agents while they staked out the place ... and both time the FBI got their men.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-15-2022 at 07:17 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Always thought that the ripoff of Americans income tax refunds could be so easily prevented. The system has built in red flags to alert the irs to a tax issue, why wouldn't a change of address from last years return be a red flag and require a confirmation before a refund check is sent? Or multiple checks going to the same address. Of course it’s not their money.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-15-2022 at 11:11 PM.

Leaving a parking ramp and paying by CC, I gave the attendant my card and after she swiped it I watched her flip both sides of my card in front of her cell phone. Nothing happened to my card but she could've recorded all the info she needed from the card.

That ramp is pay station only now.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Most credit card companies will let you go online and get a one-time use card number that's associated with your account for shopping online. They basically give you a specific card number that you can use once and it will work, but if anyone tries to use it again it's flagged as fraud.

It's a pain if you shop online a lot, and it doesn't work in person, but it's good for what it's intended for.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I used my credit card to buy a TV at Wally World and when we got the cc bill someone in Amsterdam had bought $17 worth of TV viewing. I think it was a test run. Wells Fargo took care of it with no problem. I have not bought anything with it since except medicine and they already know my card #.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Same here, but with a twist.
    Bogus charge on a card and did the call/cancel/re-issue thing.
    Got the new cards and a week later the same bogus charge shows up on the new card.
    The card company transferred the bogus charge onto the new card
    I feel your pain,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

They tried to scam me today. I got a phone call call from Verizon saying my bill was over due and I was getting disconnected. Number struck me off because it had a 904 area code enstead of a 1 800. Hung up and called Verizon. The official Verizon said i was good and i reported the scam attempt.

Saddly my wife got scammed so many times we are no longer allowed to have credit cards or bank cards. Just ATM cards. Which I am fine with. I pay my bills with E checks and use a refillable credit card for online purchases.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Wife travels a lot for work and gets hacked at least once a year. Every time it's been my card it's been an out of the country purchase. New Zealand, Japan and Panama so far. When it happend the first time I asked if the card could have a stop put on it for anything outside of the USA and was told they couldn't do that.... Makes me believe they just don't care.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Wife travels a lot for work and gets hacked at least once a year. Every time it's been my card it's been an out of the country purchase. New Zealand, Japan and Panama so far. When it happend the first time I asked if the card could have a stop put on it for anything outside of the USA and was told they couldn't do that.... Makes me believe they just don't care.
    That's crazy, because I went to Vancouver and tried to use my card and it was rejected. Called the bank and they said it was flagged as fraud because it was so far from where I live and where all my normal purchases are. I told them it was really me, and I had to wait 24 hours for it to start accepting charges again.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, they can block out of country charges...they may not be set up that way, but they can. You can also set up alerts if any out of country charges are made, if any online purchases are made, over certain value, or if it is a new store, etc...and have it email or txt you an alert.

Boolit Master

Credit cards are still the safest way to buy anything.

Any more experiences involving ebay?
    Amazon?
    Others?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It seems like a lot of people don’t like PayPal, but it’s always worked well for me. The couple of times I had problems, they always sided with me. I feel a lot more comfortable with PayPal for internet sales. If a site doesn’t take PayPal I usually won’t purchase from them, especially if I can find the same item with one that does.

I once had my ATT number stolen, back in the day they existed. I didn’t know a thing about it until several weeks later, when the number wouldn’t work for me. Turns out there were expensive calls being made all over the word with it. ATT took care of everything. It didn’t cost me a cent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast