Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: problem with eastwood powder coat

Boolit Bub

problem with eastwood powder coat

Hi,
    I'm a relatively new user in powder coating.
    I just received 2 powder from eastwood. hotcoat mirror blue and hotcoat mirror black (wanted ford blue but it was unavailable)

Same bullets, same container
    I use a plastic bucket over my thumbler for 20 min.
    I have good results with the eastwood mirror black and an other cheaper red powder coat (similar to HF)
    But the eastwood mirror blue don't want to stick to the bullets no mather what I do, even when I heat the bullets!
    Had you experiense something like that?
    I know the ford blue seems to be a first choice but, I can't imagine an other hint of color can be that different.
    Thanks
    Mat

Boolit Master

Never tried the mirror/metallic paints because I scoured this forum beforehand and found plenty of reports they will NOT work with shake-n-bake. From what I have read those powders must be applied with a gun.

Forum vender "Smokes" tests all his powders for shake n bake and won't sell anything that doesn't work. Another source for information (not selling powder) is "elvis ammo" on youtube. He did a lengthy video testing and rating powders for ease of application.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Using smokes bonded chrome first and then using some of the metallics can work sometimes. You still get some pigment voids even though the coating is 100% and may not look like it. Best to just leave the metallics alone with shake-n-bake in my experience.

Metallic particles in the paint & Coatings industry are usually made from Alum. ground up into a powder.
    Some are mylar, a plastic, but they're usually more expensive.

I doubt the Alum. powder would have much of an abrasive effect on a gun barrel, but I just wouldn't be comfortable with it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    None of my 3 powders are metallic, just plain glossy collor.
    Ill buy smoke next time. I ordered eastwood cause I heard it was the best.

Boolit Master
    Eastwood Ford Light Blue was my first good powder. When I needed to order more powder I went to Smoke's. I won't buy any other brand since he tests the powder before he offers it. I also get my BB's from him.

Boolit Master
    I would suggest getting an Eastwood dual voltage gun when they go on sale, then you can use any powder and PC other things. Otherwise just ask what others are using when you want a color change.

Boolit Bub
    I made an other try with my blue powder. New container, fresh powder, same bullets. I added some plastic BB's and it worked great this time! I would guess, my old container had some sort of contamination.
    Thanks for your answers!

Boolit Master
    When tumble coating use a #5 recycle code container if possible as it appears this generates a stronger static charge. Increasing the charge is the main reason for using the higher density black BB's. The benefit of a gun is it generates its own charge. Humidity can be a problem with both methods.
    Glad you are back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    When tumble coating use a #5 recycle code container if possible as it appears this generates a stronger static charge. Increasing the charge is the main reason for using the higher density black BB's. The benefit of a gun is it generates its own charge. Humidity can be a problem with both methods.
    Glad you are back in business.
    ^THIS^ I think your plastic bucket may have been the problem. I use ones with screw on lids, #5 on the bottom, a few ASBB, works with every powder, even the old HF red I have.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

As others have suggested, the problem lies not with Eastwood Mirror Colors.
    They fully adhere w/ a total velvet-like covering in a very short timeframe,

Last edited by mehavey; 02-26-2022 at 07:25 AM.