RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: All equipment and Guns streamlined(sort of)

Boolit Buddy

All equipment and Guns streamlined(sort of)

I’ve always leaned towards minimal attitude with everything.22 years of reloading. Except guns and reloading. I had 45, 357 38, 9mm, 32Long, 380, 22-250,22 hornet, 223, 8x57, 7x57, 6.5x 55 30-06 30-30 44 magnum and a Wade of shotguns. And the stuff to load them. A few years back I looked over the mountain before me and said over a few weeks time, what do I REALLY NEED? I do like to do me some plinking. But mainly hunting. We hunt everything. And self defense. So I decided I needed only one rifle, shotgun, 22 rimfire and 1 personal carry pistol each for myself and my children. All the rest had to go.I had to develop a hard mind to get ride of guns and components I considered as valuable, I had to now consider the baggage. We now all shoot .30 caliber rifles. All molds work for every gun. Personal carry pistols are all 9mm and 380. Again same molds. Also powder and primers transferable better cartridges. A few buckshot molds were selected that’d be suitable in both 12 and 20 gauge. The results is I have WAY MORE components per rifle than I had ever before with a dozen or more cartridges to load for. The tools section for reloading them is neat and compact with only 5 sets of dies. The bullet shelf is 90% 30caliber. 9% .355-.356 and a few jars of buckshot. Reloading and shooting are so much more enjoyable. This may not appeal to you but for us it works. Less guns, less clutter in tools MORE COMPONENTS MORE SHOOTING. The guns and components we sold were transferred into components(lots of them) and molds for the Guns we’re keeping.and I didn’t buy anything off gunbroker. But sold it all there. It also funded the building of a new reloading room not just a closet space. It’s what’s worked for me and mine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71F53D4E-C726-4131-90A8-AC4EE4FA48F5.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	296274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA400369-4CCA-4C44-83C9-D2A465F2257E.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	296275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BFBD9AB6-8F2F-4A76-B752-FB71B50F17CC.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	296276

On one hand...I love it! On the other...I do LOVE tinkering with oddball stuff. I can see where ya went, and may go there myself someday....just not yet.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    On one hand...I love it! On the other...I do LOVE tinkering with oddball stuff. I can see where ya went, and may go there myself someday....just not yet.
    You can still tinker. Develop a load for each grain weight and bullet style per cartridge. Like I said, it’s just what worked for me. I’m happy in the choice. It weren’t easy, but when I started seeing the piles of components I was gaining I was overjoyed. And being that we shoot more cast than anything it’ll last me the rest of my life

Cool project and I wish you well with it.
    However;
    I'm sure you know that Nature hates a vacuum and seeks to fill it.

The last time I re-did the shop benches, I about doubled the length so I'd have more room to work.
    It didn't take long until the only clear space I had to work on was about 1/2 the size of my little space on the old bench.
    I think it happened overnight......
    I came in one evening, and the new bench was stacked 2' deep with stuff that had climbed up on it to lay there and die.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Started doing the same several years ago, keeping the guns I could still shoot and the molds, dies etc. Did end up with molds used to cast for friends/family and dies to reload for family. Powder and primers for what is loaded. Can and will probably downsize on equipment some more but for now I'm with you, keep what is used and the rest is gone.

Boolit Grand Master
    Did the same. Got rid of dozens of guns I did not need. Still more to go but getting there

I doubt I will never post about shortages as I converted the cash to components. Also added PCP’s for plenty of cheap plinking shooting.

It is not for everyone....thank God. Someone has to buy the stuff!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I never really had the problem. I like gun for each job. I have few more than i need and kids and wife have theirs. But when i chose them, thought of componets at the same time. So i ahve the normal cals. Then i have a few tinker cartridges but they share components. So all had to add for tooling was just a set of dies. When I think of reloading i think of it more as reloading .270 calibers, 6.5 calibers, 357 (i lump 9mm and 380 in this as i size them all 358), 30 call, and 12 guag (buck, bird, slug). Everything shares components in some way. So dont have a huge amount powders. A brick of each primers. I do have a lot of bullets though. I like to tinker and experiment.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Ryan....my shop would possibly hurt your brain! Most of what I load I load for only one gun....with the exception of 43 Spanish, which I have to separate for two rifles as one will chamber brass fired in either and one will not...the Peabody and the Spanish Rolling Block don't like to play together. Dangit. I have one 45-70, one Werndl, one 348Win, one 7.65Arg Mauser, etc. etc.... I do load a ton of 9mm..but don't own one. However my son owns several, and they all seemingly like to eat different loads. Aaaargghh!!! I also load 5.56, 40, 38, 357, 30-06, 7-08, 270(don't own one), 243(don't own one), Mosin(don't own one) and I'm sure more I can't think of right now...

It's a bit of a sickness...and I like the challenge of the old stuff. Don't see myself standardizing anytime soon! :P
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderator Emeritus

After my divorce of 30 years, made the decision if I want something (within reason of course) I am getting it. Always took care of wife and kids first, now it's my turn. Figure kids can sort it out (they will have spreadsheets, etc). Figure getting something for nothing they can do a lil work

I started late, inherited old 22 rifle, and 16 gauge shotgun. But I've added several more 22s in pistol and rifle, and tried to standardize with 9mm for pistols, but wandered into 38 which led to 357 and I've a couple 380s, and then built a 223 and a 300bo and have a 7mm mauser I got from a member. I'm trying...... But it is hard. I've quite casting for the 223 and the 300bo, so those just use jwords, of which I have more than I'll ever use.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Cool project and I wish you well with it.
    However;
    I'm sure you know that Nature hates a vacuum and seeks to fill it.

The last time I re-did the shop benches, I about doubled the length so I'd have more room to work.
    It didn't take long until the only clear space I had to work on was about 1/2 the size of my little space on the old bench.
    I think it happened overnight......
    I came in one evening, and the new bench was stacked 2' deep with stuff that had climbed up on it to lay there and die.
    Exactly my lifelong experience! When I start a small project I spend 45 minutes clearing off a work space, sorting through the occupying stuff and deciding where to store it!

DG

I very much agree with you
    I didn't start selling everything, but I did stop buying

Boolit Grand Master

I feel about this post exactly as I do about the tiny house craze… Yeah you can, but for the life of me I can’t understand why you would.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

I did the same a few years back. I got rifles down to 22, 7mm, 30 and 35 calibers. That left me plenty of guns to shoot and enjoy. I did pick up an Encore bbl in 243 but that's been it. Handguns are still 32, 35, 40, 44 and 45 and don't see a lot of that changing. it is a big advantage to stock 139 gr 7mm bullets and know you can shoot them out of 3-4 guns.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Thinking about downsizing too, About all I hunt is the hogs and 1 deer a year for the wife and I.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I weeded out many guns some years ago, and bought higher grade firearms with the proceeds. I still have a few to sell, and am trying to get down to a selection I actually have the time to shoot.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!