WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Jacket Length for 35 Whelen

Boolit Buddy

Jacket Length for 35 Whelen

Hi,

I’m getting set up for the Whelen. I have no bullets and can’t get them right now (out of stock). Can anyone tell me the jacket length of a 225 or 250 gr spritzer? Corbin makes 40 cal jackets that will result in a 1.5” .358 jacket but I can’t tell if that’s enough or too little (first time).

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    Hi,

I’m getting set up for the Whelen. I have no bullets and can’t get them right now (out of stock). Can anyone tell me the jacket length of a 225 or 250 gr spritzer? Corbin makes 40 cal jackets that will result in a 1.5” .358 jacket but I can’t tell if that’s enough or too little (first time).

Thanks
    Have you thought of a cast Gas check Bullet ?

and there is Jacketed pistol bullet data out there too for fun plinking loads

you might not be able to get top Velocity.
    But depending on your twist 2100-2300 fps can be done and if you compare it to 250g jacketed at 2600
    you are not loosing much, paper targets do not care at what distance, and if hunting 200 yards or less is no problem

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    Have you thought of a cast Gas check Bullet ?

and there is Jacketed pistol bullet data out there too for fun plinking loads

you might not be able to get top Velocity.
    But depending on your twist 2100-2300 fps can be done and if you compare it to 250g jacketed at 2600
    you are not loosing much, paper targets do not care at what distance, and if hunting 200 yards or less is no problem
    Hi Ford, thanks for responding. I’m going to order a set of dies to make jacketed hunting bullets with thicker walled jackets in a 6S. But I’ve not yet made bullets of this size and don’t quite know the length.

Boolit Buddy
    No personal experience with 35 caliber, but a 1.2" 30 caliber jacket can make a fairly heavy bullet with a 6 caliber ogive. 1.5 might be a little on the long side. I make a 205 grain flat base low drag with a 1.4" J4 jacket and have made 250 grain 30 cal boattail lead tip bullets for the 300 blackout with a 1.2" jacket (BIG lead tip) I just measured a Speer 250grain RN and it was 1.055 oal so 1.5 will be huge.
    I am trying to find a box of 35 cal 300 grain Barnes Originals I have floating around. Those are made with tubing jackets. I'll get a length on them when they surface.

I do make a swaged, paper patch bullet that works well in 35's. Its another option.

Boolit Master

Why not use a 30 M-1 Carbine case for the jacket.
    Leave the spent primer in the case.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Carbine
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    Get copper tubing jacket maker set to make thicker wall jackets.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Va View Post
    Get copper tubing jacket maker set to make thicker wall jackets.
    Thanks, Lord. That’s the plan. Corbin carries jackets I can simply draw. Wondered if they might work. I’ve got some ammo (Ugg $$$) coming so at least I have a reference.

Need to dive into the brass bin for 30 Carbine too. LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    My 1.150 inch jacket, 4s, makes a 250 soft point. A 6s would expose more lead. 1.25" jacket, 4s , soft point, 300 grains.
    Last edited by Gew; 02-21-2022 at 10:59 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Gew View Post
    My 1.150 inch jacket, 4s, makes a 250 soft point. A 6s would expose more lead. 1.25 jacket, 4s , soft pint, 300 grains
    Exactly what I needed to know GEW. You like the 4s over the 6s? I’ve been torn about which way to go.

Boolit Buddy
    I only have the 4s and it looks right for the job. A 6s can do it too, you don't have to point it all the way, you can leave a larger meplat for heavy bullets. A 4s with a hollow point punch is cool too. A 6s would be second for me just because i don't think the BC is necessary.