Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm pistol

Boolit Master

9mm pistol

If you were going to buy a new 9mm pistol today, and didn't want to pay over 800 to 1000 dollars, looking for accuracy and reliability. Prefer wood and metal, but would consider synthetics. What would you get? TIA
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Buddy

Interesting. I went on a 9mm kick recently. Had a Browning HiPower for 30 years but decided I needed a Glock 19 and a Ruger PC9. Not really a Glock fan but they are reliable. Got a deal on a Canik TP9 Combat Elite that I do like after sending the barrel to Doug Guy for throating . Now I decided after 50 yrs of 1911, bought a Springfeild Armory Range Officer in 9mm. Was going to buy a SA Ronin which is where all this was going, but RO was adjustable sight. Believe the Ronin would be a solid gun if you like 1911 platform GW

Boolit Master

CZ75B. Solid all steel gun. Double action. Doug Guy did his work on the barrel. Chambers everything and never had a malfunction. Good shooter too.

I'm a big Browning High Power guy.
    2nd choice would be a full size Springfield Armory.

I'm also big on getting what I want instead of make my selection fit the budget of whatever 'extra' money I had at the time.
    Even if I have to wait, it's OK. I've never found myself thinking, "I should have waited and bought _________".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Doug Guy

Does he have a web site or phone number?

ACC

Boolit Master
    My CZ75B is outstanding. Also really like the Sig P320.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master

Don't give a rip for aesthetics when discussing a tool who's primary requirement is that it WORK, so, Gen 5 Glock:

They don't rust.

They run a LONG time before you can typically expect anything to break.

You can tear them ALL the way down with no special tools.

There is NO fitting of replacement parts required - you drop them in and roll.

There are no roll pins - which you're supposed to replace with new if you ever take them out - holding them together.

We've got a couple threads on the topic going - I've also confirmed that they can run on cast just fine once you sort out some of the finer points of loading 9mm.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the CZ 75/85 pistols. If you're a lefty the 75 series don't normally come with a left-handed safety paddle. You also don't just add a left-handed safety to the CZ pistols. So lefties pick your 75 series pistols carefully. That said they are great pistols. Single (cocked and locked) or double action and quite a few different variations on the safety set up. 16 plus one capacity and compact versions if that's what you want. The stainless pistol show is a standard 75B and the black one is the model 85 (preB).

Boolit Master
    BHP or a well-worked clone is difficult to beat(if you get one with a magazine disconnect, REMOVE IT!). A CZ-75 would be its only likely competition. I haven't shot a CZ P10 yet, but I'd look seriously at one, if I didn't already own the aforementioned two.
    If you purchase either of the first 2 I mentioned, use whatever is left of the $1000 you've allotted for their purchase on a trip to Cylinder & Slide (BHP) or Cajun Gun works (CZ75) for trigger and feedway work.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Don't give a rip for aesthetics when discussing a tool who's primary requirement is that it WORKS, so, Gen 5 Glock:
    They don't rust. They run a LONG time before you can typically expect anything to break.
    You can tear them ALL the way down with no special tools. There is NO fitting of replacement parts required - you drop them in and roll.
    There are no roll pins - which you're supposed to replace with new if you ever take them out - holding them together.
    We've got a couple threads on the topic going - I've also confirmed that they can run on cast just fine once you sort out some of the finer points of loading 9mm.
    Any of the Glock 9mms are fine if one intends to abuse and neglect their personal defensive arm. One of the FIRST steps in developing skill at arms is understanding how and BOTHERING TO clean and maintain their personal defensive arm.
    The BHP and CZ75 have been digesting all manner of ammunition, jacketed and cast, for years before the advent of the Glock. Said ammunition was in many cases likely assembled by shooters who understood the rudiments of reloading but had yet to learn any "finer points" of the process.
    There is virtue in the Condition 1 ("cocked and locked") carry option, not merely from a safety standpoint, but from a skill consideration, also. A safety disengaged by one digit enables a light, crisp trigger squeeze by the other, which facilitates first-shot hits. Mounting a "safety" for an entire pistol on its trigger necessitates an overly long take-up and a very mushy let-off, to KEEP the pistol safe. The whole arrangement is analogous to writing the combination to a vault. just above its dial, with attendant potential for disaster.
    Before making a final decision, you should shoot a Glock and see if you like it. Above all, you should gravitate to the pistol with which you shoot best. I'd bet serious $$ that it will not be the Glock.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

For a steel frame gun, CZ 75 Compact. Alloy frame, CZ 75 PCR, which I consider the best metal hammer fired CCW pistol ever made. Personal opinion, of course. But if I was going to buy a new 9mm, I would need to see what I was going to use it for. CCW, probably another CZ P-10S, fantastic little poly striker fired pistol. Just to have and shoot at the range? The new Springfield HiPower clone. Or a CZ SP-01 or TS.

I recently picked up a used police trade in S&W mod 519. It came with 3 -15 rd mags, has Trijicon night sights and is in like new condition. $450.00, from Guns.com. I wasn't really even in the hunt for a wonder nine at the time, but thought it was a fair price considering the current market, where plastic tupperguns with similar features are going for $600+. I bought a case of Tula steel case 9mm, (can't get much worse), and I am in the middle of giving it a torture test. I plan on firing the entire case of 1000 rounds without cleaning it, just to see what happens and how far it will go. I'm at about 300 rd mark with no malfunctions so far. Wish me luck...
    https://www.guns.com/search?keyword=...condition=used
    Last edited by fastdadio; 02-14-2022 at 07:50 AM.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    The next 9 mm pistol I will be buying would be a Walther 5" PDP.

Boolit Master
    Whatever fits your hand and is reliable. Size is determined by your needs. CCW you go small and light. Range shooting is compact or full size (or even long slide tgt). Field use is what weight you want to carry and how it fits with your other gear. For me the compact ones fill that role (Colt light commander most of the time, but, it is a .45). You may want higher capacity or a single stack. Lots of choices.

When I bought mine (HK VP9) it was almost a toss up between it, the Springfield, SIG and Walther (compact, not sub). The newer Glocks may feel better if the different grips panels work for you. I'd have a Glock if it didn't feel like a 1x2 in my hands.

I would say, if a Glock fits you then buy it. One of these days I may force myself to use one for a while to get used to it.

Go to a range and shoot a glock or two before you buy. I don't like the feel. I've a Walther PPQ m2 that works well also. Ten times better trigger than any glock and it has integral safety in trigger. I've a new S&W Shield EZ in 9mm that I like, but it's only 8 +1 rounds. No trigger actual integral trigger safety, but one is inside, but mine has external safety which I do like. There is a TON of choices out there in the below $1000 range. Go to a range that rents and rent anything that they have that interests you to see how it handles in Your hands.

If you want a larger easy to shoot 9mm, don't overlook the Turkish Canik. With a red dot sight, this one makes me look good. Not mine, but Cuz lets me shoot it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I believe someone mentioned the CZ75.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01987.JPE 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	296264
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I like the 1911 platform.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Buddy
    Springfield Armory Ronin 5", but then I'm a little prejudiced toward 1911s!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would give the new Springfield SA-35 a hard look for sure. If you like DA/SA, Sig p-226 all the way!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast