RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm pistol

Boolit Buddy

He can be found here or on Facebook. I joined this site to get his number cause I refuse to do Face Book GW

Considering the things you mentioned and add future appreciation I would buy a Belgium Browning Hi Power.

Jedman

I have a Ruger 1911 Officer Model in 9mm. It's my church gun: easy to conceal & light. It shoots better than I do. I've been considering another 9mm SR1911 in the LW Commander (more grip for my pinky). Recently my grandson-in-law acquired a SA Range Officer in 9mm & I'm impressed with the size, balance, trigger and sights. I could be happy with either.

My son has a Canik & loves it. If I had to have a plastic gun, it'd be a Canik.

I'm old & like steel & walnut guns.

Boolit Master

You would be wise to check out the videos and reviews of the SAR USA firearms. Sarmilaz has been making firearms for 140 years. They are one of main firearms manufacturers for the military and law enforcement in Europe. The Sarsilmaz manufacturing facility is in Turkey.
    There reputation for top quality reasonably priced firearms is very well known. I purchased a Sar 9 this last summer. It was very well built, tight tolerances, great machining, and shot everything I fed it with no failure to feed or fire. Accuracy was on very good at self defense ranges. This was my first ownership of a "Stryker" fired pistol. I didn't like that system. I traded it in on a SAR USA 2000. This is a CZ75 clone. Again, a fine firearm. Forged steel frame and slide, great machining, tight tolerances and hammer fired. It is sa/da and can be carried cocked and locked. Very nice pistol. They have several models to choose from.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Dont forget the Beretta 92.

Boolit Master
    SIG 226, 228, 229, 225, 320, M-17, M-18. pick what fits your hand and style. Nothing wrong with Beretta 92 other than it is big, Walthers are great too. All of the above will digest what ever you feed the. in 9x19.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Man
    What's the primary purpose? My wife's Ruger EC9 is much easier to CC than my Kimber Polymer Custom.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by calm seas View Post
    What's the primary purpose? My wife's Ruger EC9 is much easier to CC than my Kimber Polymer Custom.
    Got a couple of cc pistols. Just want a full size 9mm with hi cap mags to mess around in the pig woods with. I'm still gonna carry my 41 mag...but I might run into a whole herd of piglets.....
    I
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

I have a Springfield armory XDm target model with the 5.25 inch barrel. It is striker fired but it just works. Quite accurate.
    Standard mag capacity is 19 rounds. This should account for a lot of piglets.
    Accurate with cast boolits. Care must be taken during reloading and sizing because the chamber is tight. It is a match chamber after all.
    After finding the best sizing for my particular pistol, It has not failed to feed or fire in hundreds of rounds.
    Factory trigger is 5.5 lbs. I put a drop in PRP trigger in mine. This took it to 3.5 lbs. and made it very nice to shoot.
    This pistol comes in a couple of different barrel lengths and sight setups so you can choose for your intended use.

Boolit Bub
    Cz 75 b sig 320 and one of the new high power clone

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not a 9mm fan at all, but the new Springfield SA-35 has really caught my eye. If not that, a Sig P226 would be high on my list. It is so hard to keep up on prices anymore though.

Boolit Master
    My pick is the Beretta 92g ltt.

CZ75 & P226 are my choices.

Hello, it is important to know what you want the gun for.
    I have a Glock 17, as a defense weapon, next to my bed.
    A Tanfoglio Stock 2 that I recently bought for IPSC.
    A Steyr M9 for CC (although it is prohibited in my country, and they do not give permission to almost anyone)
    And a Browning Hi Power, just because I like it. That only comes out of the safe for a few shots and cleaning.
    I don't know if I need a gun for everything, maybe I could do everything with the Glock, but it's a good excuse to have many guns! hahaha

I think you just have to hold them, point them, try them for fit, get what feels good and has a solid reputation.

I like the Sig226 as a best all around gun. I use mine as a “bad” reloads disposal. It chambers most anything and manages to fire it accurately. However, I prefer to shoot a 1911 at the target range. The 1911 is no more accurate than the 226, but it is easier to shoot fast and accurately.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Any of the Glock 9mms are fine if one intends to abuse and neglect their personal defensive arm. One of the FIRST steps in developing skill at arms is understanding how and BOTHERING TO clean and maintain their personal defensive arm.
    The BHP and CZ75 have been digesting all manner of ammunition, jacketed and cast, for years before the advent of the Glock. Said ammunition was in many cases likely assembled by shooters who understood the rudiments of reloading but had yet to learn any "finer points" of the process.
    There is virtue in the Condition 1 ("cocked and locked") carry option, not merely from a safety standpoint, but from a skill consideration, also. A safety disengaged by one digit enables a light, crisp trigger squeeze by the other, which facilitates first-shot hits. Mounting a "safety" for an entire pistol on its trigger necessitates an overly long take-up and a very mushy let-off, to KEEP the pistol safe. The whole arrangement is analogous to writing the combination to a vault. just above its dial, with attendant potential for disaster.
    Before making a final decision, you should shoot a Glock and see if you like it. Above all, you should gravitate to the pistol with which you shoot best. I'd bet serious $$ that it will not be the Glock.
    OR. . .

you can internalize the basic tenets of double action revolver shooting (utilizing good grip fundamentals and constantly maintaining sight alignment while steadily pressing on the trigger) and come to the conclusion that grip shape and trigger pull really don't matter a great deal. At that point, what the gun "feels" like will cease to trouble you and you can then concern yourself with the mechanisms least likely to let you down over both the short and long term.

I've been on the fence about buying a CZ-75 for maybe 25 years. They feel great. They shoot great. DA lockworks on autos that can self-cock simply leave me cold, being a lot of mechanical crap that doesn't need to be there. Even if you convert it to SAO, it's going to have a lot of spacers, fillers, or disconnects to plug the holes where the DA stuff used to be. Then there's the roll pins. Mr. Browning managed to design a handgun over a century ago that you DON'T have to beat on with a hammer to disassemble. . . then the accountants came along. I may still buy a CZ as a toy, but I'll be painfully aware of those faults.

If steel, accuracy, and ergonomics are what you want, one of the Springfield 1911's with target sights will be your ticket. They give you all of that AND they still pass the serviceability test. Best of all, the design comes from the time when you couldn't send an email and have a C-17 bring you spare parts 3 days later - - it's built so it pretty much won't break, and you can adjust what you have.

Such are the things that matter to me under circumstances that don't call for a rifle. YMMV.

(Some greater clarification on reloading for the 9mm Glocks: Having pin gauged and slugged the chambers and bores of both old polygonal and new "Marksman" barrels, my conclusion is that the world and internet rumors of the differences between a Glock barrel and every other 9mm are generating a lot of hysteria over something that does not exist. The dimensions of the front and rear of the chamber are the same. The bore and groove diameters are the same. The 9mm just happens to be a cartridge with some quirks that pose many people problems when loading cast bullets - which this forum covers in great detail for anyone willing to look. Glock and half the other factories in the world will waggle their fingers at you and say "Don't shoot handloads" because that is something over which there is no industry standard controlling the output.)
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

CZ 75B again.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Master

CZ75 but I've been around them since 1978 as a kid, so I'm admittedly biased.

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    You would be wise to check out the videos and reviews of the SAR USA firearms. Sarmilaz has been making firearms for 140 years. They are one of main firearms manufacturers for the military and law enforcement in Europe. The Sarsilmaz manufacturing facility is in Turkey.
    There reputation for top quality reasonably priced firearms is very well known. I purchased a Sar 9 this last summer. It was very well built, tight tolerances, great machining, and shot everything I fed it with no failure to feed or fire. Accuracy was on very good at self defense ranges. This was my first ownership of a "Stryker" fired pistol. I didn't like that system. I traded it in on a SAR USA 2000. This is a CZ75 clone. Again, a fine firearm. Forged steel frame and slide, great machining, tight tolerances and hammer fired. It is sa/da and can be carried cocked and locked. Very nice pistol. They have several models to choose from.
    My wife and I both picked up a SAR 9 this past fall (two serial numbers apart). Fantastic firearm! Nothing bad to say about them.

My first semi auto hand gun. I've always been a dead nuts reliability wheel gun fan. This one sold me on the wonder nine.

Not going to be my EDC gun but given the size of the wife's purse (airline carry on bag size) it will be hers.
    Last edited by Wooserco; 02-19-2022 at 09:18 AM.

Boolit Master

What do you think you will do with it, what feels good in your hand, what have you shot well in the past, and how much maintenance are you willing to do with it?

For serious use, I want a big magazine. For good accuracy, I want a good trigger even more than top inherent accuracy.

If you have smaller hands, something with a single column mag like a 1911 is probably what you need to look at, although thinner grips can make a difference on some pistols with dual column magazines, and there are versions of some pistols (such as the Vertec Beretta 92) where the grip frame is shaved down to try to appeal to people with smaller hands.

I have big hands, and the Beretta 92 shoots better for me than anything else, especially after I changed out the hammer spring for a lighter one, and got a trigger job. My double action first shot is now under 7 pounds. My Berettas take very little maintenance, even though they are shot a lot.

If you have several types of pistol, I would encourage you to pick pistols for serious use that have similar controls. I am a member of Front Sight in Nevada, and one of the recurring things that are a part of someone shooting themself is the person being used to using a safety that is down/back for safe such as a Beretta 92, for a course switching and using a pistol that is up/forward for safe such as a 1911. The result is their prior training has them holster a loaded, off-safe cocked pistol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast